Options

Is this a medal Coin or token?

I don’t know what to make of it.
Does it have any value?

Comments

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2017 11:05PM

It is a medal or medalet (guessing it is not too large). Likely it was originally hung on a lapel ribbon.

In the Presidential campaign of 1860, Stephen A. Douglas ran against Abraham Lincoln and two other men.

Both Lincoln and Douglas had lived much of their adult lives in Springfield, IL and were personally well-acquainted with each other. Of course, both men campaigned for U.S. Senator from Illinois and held a series of public debates against each other in 1858. These debates were noted nationally and helped bring Lincoln to nation-wide attention. Douglas was likely the most prominent Democrat in the U.S. Senate throughout the 1850s.

This is a desirable item. Do not clean this. Coin collectors and collectors of political memorabilia are both likely to be interested.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Supposedly, lore has it that Lincoln and Douglas were both suitors for the hand of Miss Mary Todd, and that Lincoln lost.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boy, I didnt expect to see this when I opened the thread!
    This is my area of expertise, as it is a medal produced by diesinker Joseph Merriam. You will note his name below the bust on the obverse and the date on the reverse. These are less common than those of his counterpart, Lincoln. Most were struck in tin, and they can be found with less frequency in copper. One example is known in silver that resided in the John J Ford Collection.
    They were meant to be worn, so many have been holed. Here is one I own from Neil Musante's collection with part of the original ribbon:

Your example looks XF and is probably worth around $200-250. Very desirable to collectors of political memorabilia, token and medal collectors as well.
    What the back story of where you found it?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    Boy, I didnt expect to see this when I opened the thread!
    This is my area of expertise, as it is a medal produced by diesinker Joseph Merriam. You will note his name below the bust on the obverse and the date on the reverse. These are less common than those of his counterpart, Lincoln. Most were struck in tin, and they can be found with less frequency in copper. One example is known in silver that resided in the John J Ford Collection.
    They were meant to be worn, so many have been holed. Here is one I own from Neil Musante's collection with part of the original ribbon:

Your example looks XF and is probably worth around $200-250. Very desirable to collectors of political memorabilia, token and medal collectors as well.
    What the back story of where you found it?

very neat item, especially with the ribbon

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice political medals... It is amazing that the ribbon has survived for 157 years.... I know, a great medal and I focus on the ribbon :D:D:D Well.... what can I say... details are important. ;) Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file