Home U.S. Coin Forum

STOCK PHOTO ~ Is it most likely a RANDOM pick or the best for last base on availability ?

ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 29, 2017 9:37PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Would you trust your seller to pick the best one for you or would they?

Comments

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would question if I wanted one if they are so common the seller has multiples and not worth enough to individually picture.

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have bought common coins on the net to complete a series or set, in which case one is faced with this question. I have always passed and waited to find an example that isn't a stock photo. Better yet, visit a local show if there is one in your area.

• WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

Years ago I bought a 2001-S Sacagawea proof dollar for $1.99 and about $2 shipping from a stock photo of a proof. Really cheap I thought so I used the 'But-it-now' feature. What I received was a 2001 business strike Sac worth approximately $1 so for me, 'stock photos' are worthless as far as getting a high quality coin.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doubt it...I don't use stock photos..."what you see is what you get" should be a rule in selling ANYTHING.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2017 11:04AM

• jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never use stock photos for my listings and I will never buy a coin from a listing selling multiple coins with stock photos. I like to know exactly what I am going to get, and I know my buyer want's to know what they are going to get.

Stock photos are fine, for iPads, computers and stereo equipment. An argument could be made for their use to sell bullion or modern MS/PR 69/70 coins, but if you're selling something other than those, list an image of what you are going to get.

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've found several examples of common foreign proof sets on eBay where the photo looks like several 67DCAM+ coins in original mint packaging, but when you get to "buy it now" there is suddenly a quantity available. This, to me, means that I just saw the best possible example in the photo, and whatever I get will not be anywhere close in quality. Pass, and wait for an individually sold item, if at all possible.

• coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2017 11:13AM

I have new Mint stock items in mint issued condition, I will use stock photos for those listings only as I find the people who (generally speaking) chase down mint products seem to be more attracted to listings with a pretty picture.
    This is based on my own experience, I would never use a photo from a previous coin or paper note listing to sell a non mint issue coin. And I am mostly speaking of the Royal Canadian Mint who releases 2500 novelty coins a year for profit over quality and whos Idea of a quality numismatic piece is gluing a LadyBug to a 1 oz silver, Not of course of Mint issued circulating currency coins or proof coins etc etc

For example

all around collector of many fine things

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am trying to acquire a high priced 2013 $50 Buffalo Reverse PF70 on eBay.
    You think those seller would be willing to work with me to assure the deal is sealed but no......
    I will try to do WTB in the forum....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file