Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is there anything like Nic-a-Date for silver?

cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there anything like Nic-a-Date for silver?

Comments

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

There used to be many years ago. It was made by the same company that made Nic-a date.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2017 8:14PM

Interesting question, or more specifically, interesting question on the need for it. I always assumed Nic-a-date exists due to buffalo nickels and their propensity for becoming dateless. I do have a dateless SL quarter, but otherwise I have not seen many dateless silver coins.

• Options

It was used on dateless Standing Liberty Quarters back when dateless examples could still be found in circulation.

I haven't seen any of the stuff for decades.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

The date and mintmark were gone on this coin. I was able to restore both by using nitric acid on the coin and and than holding the coin over a bunsen burner:

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2017 10:15PM

@JBK said:
    Interesting question, or more specifically, interesting question on the need for it. I always assumed Nic-a-date exists due to buffalo nickels and their propensity for becoming dateless. I do have a dateless SL quarter, but otherwise I have not seen many dateless silver coins.

An S minted SLQ from some junk 90% piqued my curiosity.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Use of such a chemical would answer a question, but the coin would then be regarded as damaged...as nickels have been after Nic-a-date application... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

There have been some DD found using nic-a date and sold for a good price.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2017 10:51AM

Was this concoction made for silver called Sil-A-Date by any chance? :p

• Options

I concur-it IS damaged. Such coins are worth a small fraction of a Good 04 coin IF they're a key or semi-key date. But the 1916 doubled die with a restored date has historically sold for $1000 or even a little more and the 18/17-D can bring $50-$100. I wouldn't pay anything close to those prices for either, tho.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

You just need a stronger oxidizing acid. Same chemical principle as the nickel but silver is harder to oxidize. Concentrated nitric would probably do it, but is a little dangerous to work with due to fumes and burn potential

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file