Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Recommendation of George Morgan to succeed Charles Barber as Engraver

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 29, 2017 7:06PM in U.S. Coin Forum

To: McAdoo

February 20, 1917

The death of Hon. Charles E. Barber, Engraver of the U. S. Mint, Philadelphia, on the 18th instant, leaves a vacancy in the Presidential position of Engraver.
As a concluding act in my position as Director of the Mint, I have the honor to recommend that Mr. George T. Morgan, Assistant Engraver, be named as Mr. Barber’s successor.
Mr. Morgan entered the engraving department of the Philadelphia [Mint] with Mr. Charles E. Barber as assistant to the latter’s father, and has served continuously as Assistant Engraver since 1880.
Mr. Morgan studied at the Art School, Birmingham, England and won a National Scholarship at the South Kensington Museum. Our current silver dollar is his design and execution.
He is well informed upon the technical requirements of the position of Engraver of the United States Mint, and well equipped by years of experience to continue the important work of preparing coinage dies for the mints of the United States, and for foreign countries.
Respectfully,

AND

To: Thompson (asst Sec)

February 20, 1917

Honorable Charles E. Barber, Engraver of the U. S. Mint, Philadelphia, who died last Sunday, is to be buried on Wednesday, February 21st.
I would like to obtain authority for Hon. A. M. Joyce, Superintendent of the Mint at Philadelphia, and custodian of that building, to half-staff the flag on the Mint building on the day of the funeral of Mr. Barber. Will you kindly take the necessary steps to have this authority wired to him.
Respectfully,

[NARA-CP. RG-104, entry 235, vol 421]

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file