Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any chance this is a weak d 1911 quarter eagle?

It was lot 533 in today's cng coin auction

Comments

• Options
    JcldJcld Posts: 449 ✭✭✭

Do you have a link?

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enlarged it the size of a dinner plate..NO but sure is a nice looking coin.

• Options
    superpsychmdsuperpsychmd Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭

I did a search on heritage and found one with scalloped edging on the same part of the obverse. I liked the look so I took a shot

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2017 3:35PM

I say no. And I have about 100 1911 $2 1/2 Indians set aside because I like to hunt for these, lol. I don't see any of the signs I look for.

• Options
    ArizonaRareCoinsArizonaRareCoins Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭

The KEY diagnostics on ALL REAL 1911-d Indians is a series of marks on the reverse edge of the rim above the "ES" in states and the "O" in of and a wavy rim edge above "TED" in united on the reverse. That coin does not have those diagnostics.

• Options

What about this one?

https://coins.ha.com/itm/indian-quarter-eagles/quarter-eagles/1911-d-2-1-2-weak-d-ms62-ngc/a/1254-5227.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

It has the same placement of the scalloped edge. I agree there are no markings over the Es in states so was the ngc coin Mia attributed?

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ArizonaRareCoins said: "The KEY diagnostics on ALL REAL 1911-d Indians is a series of marks on the reverse edge of the rim above the "ES" in states and the "O" in of and a wavy rim edge above "TED" in united on the reverse. That coin does not have those diagnostics."

What do they look like? This is one I was never taught. :(

• Options
    edited November 29, 2017 4:15PM

@Insider2 said:
    @ArizonaRareCoins said: "The KEY diagnostics on ALL REAL 1911-d Indians is a series of marks on the reverse edge of the rim above the "ES" in states and the "O" in of and a wavy rim edge above "TED" in united on the reverse. That coin does not have those diagnostics."

What do they look like? This is one I was never taught. :(

I posted a great example on how to spot 1911-d (weak d) a few years back:
    https://coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=178181&SearchTerms=1911-d,weak

UNFORTUNATELY, many of the examples were from eBay and the pictures are no longer available. I had downloaded them to photobucket, but, that turned out to be worthless. The only example that still remains is this one:

The diagnostic marks are very evident

• Options

@superpsychmd said:
    What about this one?

https://coins.ha.com/itm/indian-quarter-eagles/quarter-eagles/1911-d-2-1-2-weak-d-ms62-ngc/a/1254-5227.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

It has the same placement of the scalloped edge. I agree there are no markings over the Es in states so was the ngc coin Mia attributed?

WOW, nice catch....That coin is NOT a 1911-d. NGC messed-up on that one.

• Options

And that one went for big bucks, too!

I will say that one the first coin I posted I can see the outline of a D. It could just be wishful thinking lol

• Options
    edited November 29, 2017 5:09PM

@ArizonaRareCoins said: "...series of marks on the reverse edge of the rim above the "ES" in states and the "O" in of..."

Thanks!

For now, I'll just say that I have seen a few 1911-D $2 1/2 coins in grades from VF to MS-65. I'm going to reserve comment on the marks you have stated are diagnostic for this date. Let me remind you that to be a "diagnostic marker," they must appear on EVERY coin of that date and mint. I confess to never seeing these as there are several ACTUAL diagnostics used to authenticate 1911-D's. Either the marks over the "ES" you have shown are in the same category as C/F $2 1/2 coins "spin," or my authentication instructors should be ashamed to have left this important diagnostic out of my training! :(

As for the other coin...@ArizonaRareCoins said: "WOW, nice catch....That coin is NOT a 1911-d. NGC messed-up on that one.

That's a serious charge. You are saying that NGC, Heritage, and every attendee who examined that lot knows less than you and the OP. Accidents happen, but you are asking me to believe in a million-to-one accident. Two unknown "experts" against the world.

Homey don't play dat game. IMHO, neither should both of you. :wink:

• Options

When I get the coin in hand, that will be the best way to know. Regardless I think it looks like a mint state coin and it will go off to our hosts or across the street!

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    For now, I'll just say that I have seen a few 1911-D $2 1/2 coins in grades from VF to MS-65. I'm going to reserve comment on the marks you have stated are diagnostic for this date. Let me remind you that to be a "diagnostic marker," they must appear on EVERY coin of that date and mint. I confess to never seeing these as there are several ACTUAL diagnostics used to authenticate 1911-D's. Either the marks over the "ES" you have shown are in the same category as C/F $2 1/2 coins "spin," or my authentication instructors should be ashamed to have left this important diagnostic out of my training! :(

As for the other coin...@ArizonaRareCoins said: "WOW, nice catch....That coin is NOT a 1911-d. NGC messed-up on that one.

That's a serious charge. You are saying that NGC, Heritage, and every attendee who examined that lot knows less than you and the OP. Accidents happen, but you are asking me to believe in a million-to-one accident. Two unknown "experts" against the world.

Homey don't play dat game. IMHO, neither should both of you. :wink:

Heritage claims to "see" the d in that ngc coin. I defy anyone to see the d in that heritage picture. Perhaps heritage just took a crappy picture......If, in hand, they really can see the d, than it stands to reason they could see the diagnostic marks on the reverse.

Note: The diagnostic marks on the reverse are visible on ALL weak and strong d 1911-d $2 1/2 indians:

• Options

I have mixed feelings on the diagnostics with these. I have cherrypicked 3 now bought as plain 1911. Here is one. They called it a weak D, but the D is very easily seen. It does NOT have the scalloped edges on the reverse like most of the others do. Possibly worn off?

And speaking of mistakes... Here is one graded as a PLAIN 1911by pcgs. I am 99% it is a weak d that they missed.

• Options

Yours actually has what appears to my eye to be the raised polish line in front of the arrowheads on the reverse and some chatter over the ES on the reverse so I agree with you, I think it is a weak d too

• Options

@superpsychmd said:
    Yours actually has what appears to my eye to be the raised polish line in front of the arrowheads on the reverse and some chatter over the ES on the reverse so I agree with you, I think it is a weak d too

It's not mine.. I was just looking through 1911's on coinfacts to see if they missed any one day.. and it appears they did :D

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting.... I have not looked for these coins.... though it is one of my favorite designs.... Thanks for the diagnostics... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ArizonaRareCoins

Found an NGC 1911-D Weak D with "your" diagnostic not worn away. So far, you are one for one. :wink:

I'm going to check the rim over "ES" on 11-D's.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file