Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2017 $50 Gold Proof Buffalo Is no longer available at the mint

The 2017 $50 Gold Proof Buffalo Is no longer available at the mint and will almost assuredly have the lowest mintage of any 1 oz Proof Gold Buffalo.

I think the coin is going to get hot very quickly!

The Stealth Ninja

Comments

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

What was it? :/

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was $1640.00

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:
    It was $1640.00

Mintage.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

I need one for a grandson.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

That I don't know. Where are the stats members?

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

Oh lord.

I got 2 of them things sitting in the Post Office. Been there since yesterday!

Think I should go pick em up?

• Options
    edited November 28, 2017 5:40PM

17EL 2017 AM BUFFALO GOLD PROOF 1 OZ 14,770 + 401

From a post on the "Mint News Blog". These would be the Sales through last Sunday. How many did they sell through today ? Good question.

• Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭

2015 was the previous low at 16591.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect this year's Buff's sales were partially eaten by the 2017 American Liberty, both of which were 1ozt and 24K, although the AmLib was $50 higher in price.

They sold 26,286 AmLibs so far...

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

:) !!!

Timbuk3
  • Options

Theres 14 Buffaloes grazing in the US Mint Meadow right now. Take as many as you want.

• Options
    goldman86goldman86 Posts: 495 ✭✭✭

2017 Proof Buffs Not available at mint when I just checked.

16,592 was the previous low mintage for the 1 oz proof Buffalo back in 2015. Looks like the 2017 $50 Proof gold Buffalo is gonna come in at ROUGHLY (Roughly not close to being finalized), did I say ROUGHLY, 15,000-15,200 range. This coin should be good one.

Between the 2017 w $50 Burnished gold eagle and 2017 w $50 Proof Gold Buffalo, this is shaping up to be quite a good end to the year for the modern coin industry!

The Stealth Ninja
  • Options

Let me be a little safer. I may be excited about this coin...

ROUGH ROUGH Estimate- 15150 - 15350

@goldman86 said:
    2017 Proof Buffs Not available at mint when I just checked.

16,592 was the previous low mintage for the 1 oz proof Buffalo back in 2015. Looks like the 2017 $50 Proof gold Buffalo is gonna come in at ROUGHLY (Roughly not close to being finalized), did I say ROUGHLY, 15,000-15,200 range. This coin should be good one.

Between the 2017 w $50 Burnished gold eagle and 2017 w $50 Proof Gold Buffalo, this is shaping up to be quite a good end to the year for the modern coin industry!

The Stealth Ninja
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps a short premium period.... Then maybe in 50 years, another rush by collectors. I just do not see this as a major collector focus. I have been wrong before.... ;) (Great learning experience when one is wrong - and recognizes it.) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭

They are cheaper on eBay than the Mint!

• Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

Mr. Goldman-
    You may have something here. I had some NGC slabbed coins in my cart this morning and after doing some errands1 hour later they jacked up the price approx. $150 each.

Oh well...

• Options

Liberty Coin has a listing of 5 2017 w $50 Proof Buffalo NGC PF70 Early Releases at $1763.57 and a listing of 5 2017 w $50 Proof Buffalo NGC PF70 Early Releases at $1764.23 on ebay.

I kinda think that company hasn't been following what is going on. Once those 10 coins are gone, the next cheapest on ebay is $1900.

I think those 10 coins will be gone shortly as those coins will prove to be priced under the market.

Just my 2 cents

The Stealth Ninja
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2017 1:33PM

I went to MCM this morning after seeing this thread. I was paying for a PR70 for $1765. When I hit the submit tab it said there was an error and the coin was now $1999. I had it in my cart and was paying and they went up on me, a 30 second transaction. I ended up getting one on Ebay and will never buy from MCM again.

Wow, you buy an item and while you're paying they raise the price.

Thanks Goldman for the post... :)

• Options

Well I picked up my 2 Coins from the Post Office today and I'm really impressed with them.This is one beautiful Coin but the low mintage makes them seem even more beautiful. If these 2 didn't push me up to 5 total on the year, I'd have grabbed a couple more this morning. B u t there's a big difference between being a proud keeper of a small herd and being a greedy grabber of everything possible.

Hmmmm ? What in the world?

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Correct me if I am an error but I see it as being “currently unavailable” not “sold out” or not “no longer available?”

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2017 2:10PM

Looks like this thread is helping sell some of these coins.
    GreatCollections had 6 PCGS PR70 first strikes available yesterday for $1,750 buy now and today all are gone!

I’m still doubting major spikes on this coin as the key date 2015 has sold for as low as $1,500 in NGC PF 70 in recent eBay auctions. Even if that is an outlier, multiple NGC 70s have sold in the 1700-1800 range, which is still not that much considering eBay fees.

• Options

There were 14 coins this morning that went very quickly. There maybe a few more coins available if a credit card gets declined, but this coin will be going to sold out shortly. The marketers are on to this coin.

@MilesWaits said:
    Correct me if I am an error but I see it as being “currently unavailable” not “sold out” or not “no longer available?”

The Stealth Ninja
  • Options

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if the Mint struck up several more 1,000's of these rare bullion pieces. They could backdoor them to a bulk buyer and no one would be the wiser.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manorcourtman said they are cheaper on ebay

I would check that again

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FullStrike the mint does not back door anything Bulk buyers or not. It does not happen it is illegal. Everything the mint does is subject to FOIA requests and all coins are governed by laws passed by Congress.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    edited December 1, 2017 5:54AM

Back in stock @ $1640.

• Options

Must have been just a few coins or some frenzied buying as back to cuurently unavailable. The Buffalo wasn’t even on the gold coin page, I had to use the search option to access the page.

• Options

@drfish said:
    Must have been just a few coins or some frenzied buying as back to cuurently unavailable. The Buffalo wasn’t even on the gold coin page, I had to use the search option to access the page.

That was quick... :o

• Options

There were 157 coins available this morning.Gone in less then 10 min.

• Options

I think the marketers on top of this coin. The 2017 $50 Proof Buffalo will have the lowest mintage of all the One Ounce Proof Buffaloes. Any coins that are made available because of late wires or rejected credit cards will continue to be snapped up very quickly.

When big and smart money gets behind a coin, it is usually a good sign for it.

The Stealth Ninja
  • Options

70’s are now all +/- 2K and some “special” labels higher on eBay. I stumbled across some online NGC ER 70s at 1775 by credit card delivered at Govmint if anyone needs one (I have no connection to the dealer)

• Options

@goldman86 said:
    Let me be a little safer. I may be excited about this coin...

ROUGH ROUGH Estimate- 15150 - 15350

Goldman

You nailed it on the head again!
    Mint report out today showing 15308 sold.

• Options
    edited December 6, 2017 8:09AM

Back up for a few minutes.

• Options

Back up again, sell out why don't you.

• Options

Thank you for the early morning heads up. I have filled my Mint collection for the year.

• Options

Did they do another run and plan to trickle it out every morning? That'll work.

• Options
    jerseyralphjerseyralph Posts: 115 ✭✭✭

Mint report on 12/10 shows 15325 sold.

Only time will tell whether platinum is king.
  • Options

I saw somewhere, a report that more Buffaloes were struck by the Mint. Anyone know if this is true?

Nothing would surprise me but I hope it isnt true.

• Options
    edited December 20, 2017 12:23AM

15,318 as of 12/17....must have been 7 returns last week.

• Options

I got my one Buff today; the box was already opened in that the end flap wasn't glued well enough.
    So, with the employee watching me., I checked the contents and it is a flawless Gold Buff to add to the flock, or posse, or whatever.

• Options

@MilesWaits said:
    I got my one Buff today; the box was already opened in that the end flap wasn't glued well enough.
    So, with the employee watching me., I checked the contents and it is a flawless Gold Buff to add to the flock, or posse, or whatever.

Order from the mint?
    who's employee? Post office to make sure?

• Options

From the Mint. Postal employee. He didn’t give two craps that is was a coin.

• Options

Gotcha.

My educational guess on this take is that 2017-w Gold Proof Buffalo would be a safe bet (lower mjntage) for another year.

• Options

2017 AM BUFFALO GOLD PROOF 1 OZ 15184 12/25/2017

• Options

What's up with the mint page as it's still showing "unavailable" as opposed to "sold out"?

Surely the return period is way past the last sold buffalo from late December?

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any with a buffalo on it I tend to gravitate too. Then ya throw some gold into the mix and it's crazy beautiful.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

Mucho agreed, Crazy!

• Options
    jerseyralphjerseyralph Posts: 115 ✭✭✭

Just saw that the 2017 $50 gold buffalo is on back order. How is this possible in 2018?

Only time will tell whether platinum is king.
  • Options

GREED.

• Options

15,416....about 250 sold last week.

Making 2017's in late January of 2018...... :s

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file