Home U.S. Coin Forum

1917-S Reverse mintmark Walker - underrated?

ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trying to complete my circulated set of early Walking Liberty halves and I am having a heck of a time finding a decent circulated 1917-S reverse Walker, raw or slabbed. It's plentiful in AG to VG, just can't seem to find nice examples in XF or a high VF. If you look at the pricing, it seems like it should be easier to find than a 1917! What gives?

As for the 17-S obverse mintmark in VF-XF, I do see them off and on and am waiting for the right one to pull the trigger on. The 17-S pieces are the last holes in my early set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/u-s-coins/walking-liberty-half-dollars-specialty-sets/walking-liberty-half-dollars-early-date-set-circulation-strikes-1916-1933/alltimeset/140798

Comments

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a pretty high mintage issue so I'm sure you will find one sooner or later. Interesting and fortunate that you have a relatively inexpensive date and mint as one of your last holes to fill.

I've bought 2 raw UNC 17-s reverse walkers, so I'm inclined to believe it is available.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's surprising - I recall it being relatively plentiful on the bourse years ago, up to and including AU coins.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finding a 'NICE' one is the key word. I have noticed that, in grades VF through MS, poor quality examples are more plentiful but nice examples are rather scarce.

I made a big mistake, when I hesitated on a nice near gem from an old registry set that came on the market about 4 or 5 years ago. After a couple more years of searching; I finally found a decent one but I really paid up for it and have seen little to nothing of decent quality, since then.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always been told that all of those early date branch mints are scarcer than people think they are (in those grades). The may be hoarder targets as well.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hear you; in those grades finding a quality example is going to require patience and persistence.

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's probably a matter of chance. Once you chance upon a coin you need and like, you ASSUME they are easy to find, and the ones you just haven't stumbled upon yet seem like the proverbial unicorn.

I'm having a heck of a time with 1916 and 1927-S, and for the longest time with 1928-S. Just because I haven't found them doesn't mean they are tougher than the 1919's, or 1923-S....It only seems that way to me.

I've kind of resigned myself to just keeping an eye out, and not fretting over it. I have 6 coins to go to finish the Walker set, (a couple of them are easy, I just haven't pulled the trigger), but it doesn't have to happen tomorrow....

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2017 4:11PM

Interesting thread.
    I did a little more research. On eBay, there are hundreds of 17S Rev walkers listed, but virtually none in the upper circ grades.

Then I pulled out my Bruce Fox walker bible, thinking maybe I 'remembered incorrectly', but he lists it as an R2 in F/VF and XF/AU, stating AU's are common and circulated examples are plentiful. His 'consensus' rarity rating has it listed fairly far down the list.

I never shopped for one for stock or for a customer want list, having the proven rarities on my priority list.
    But I have a feeling now that most of these have disappeared from the market, so perhaps they have been hoarded.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are not worth getting graded in XF, thus the reason there are none for sale.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

My recommendation is to go to large coin shows.... It is almost certain you could find what you want... plus, it is a lot of fun and a good place to make contacts. Cheers, RickO

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was assembling my Walker set, I found that it wasn't finding the grade I wanted that was tough--it was finding the grade I wanted combined with a coin that wasn't scrubbed or dipped to death.
    I would not consider those examples for my set, nor would I consider rim dings, scratches, etc. I was VERY picky.
    I think 75% of the surviving 1916/1917 PDS mintage has been scrubbed to death....maybe just seems that way when you're looking.
    I don't recall the 17-S Rev being any harder than any of the other dates.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file