Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I'm on a roll! Here's my digital album of XF45 Barber Half's

amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 28, 2017 6:38AM in U.S. Coin Forum

My sets are a work in progress. Many coins have passed through my sets over the last 5 or 6 years. I am always looking for the coins that improve the look I like! The good thing about doing these virtual albums now is I am reviewing the coins I have registered. I found a few coins in the 35 set I just did that I had not updated. But Dang! I had to replace what seemed like half the coins in my 45 set since I last updated it! I find it funny that when you replace a coin in your set of the same grade the registry shows it as upgraded...but in a sense I guess it is upgraded in my eyes...just not by the PCGS numbers!

An interesting observation I have is the later in the dates you go the harder it is to find the truly original crusty coins as you can see from my set. Especially coins that are graded 45. I suspect this has to do with the fact that the jump from XF to AU has always pretty much been a double up. This has caused the dippers in the past to wreck havoc on nice original XF coins. Nowadays a truly original XF Barber Half is worth much more than a dipped AU in my opinion! I know I am willing to pay more and have many times!

Without further adue....here is a link to my album of XF 45's:

https://pcgs.com/SetRegistry/half-dollars/barber-half-dollars-major-sets/barber-half-dollars-basic-set-circulation-strikes-1892-1915/album/119049

As an aside..if any of you have nice original Barber Half's that you think beat the look I have and am after, I would be a strong buyer if you want to offer them to me!

Comments

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice 45s Darrell. Really liked the 96-O and 09-O. Have to spend more time on it as time permits. Love to see them in person someday. Congratulations.
    Jim.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very, very nice! WOW!

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a tough set. How long did it take you?

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options

Somewhere around 5-6 years of total immersion in Barber Half's. Scowering shows,searching the web everyday,putting out feelers etc!

@coinlieutenant said:
    This is a tough set. How long did it take you?

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing. Like a great virtual coin club to look at the Barbers in that album! What were the hardest coins to fill?

• Options
    edited November 28, 2017 9:24AM

That's kindda tough to answer! I believe the last coin I needed was the 01-S. I have only had the 1 05-O in 45 which I made myself! If you are thinking about building a 45 set the following are coins you should not hesitate on if you find nice: 93-S,96-O,96-S,97-O,97-S,01-O,01-S,04-S,05-O,09-O,11-D,+ 13-S.

While the 04-S is somewhat overrated I have only seen 1 in 45 which really has the look I am after! It sold for AU money at a time when I didn't have the coin to go after it. The 04-S in 45 has probably suffered the most by the dippers trying to get an AU!

@logger7 said:
    Thanks for sharing. Like a great virtual coin club to look at the Barbers in that album! What were the hardest coins to fill?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice set of Barbers....Great accomplishment.... Congratulations... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file