Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Booker T. Washington

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 23, 2017 10:17AM in U.S. Coin Forum

From well worn examples all the way to sparkling and colorful gems, this half (along with it's history) has fascinated me. Plus I believe it had the longest run among the Commemorative series.

Please, if you have an example you could share, do so!

Not mine, yet a beautiful example:

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

These certainly come spectacularly toned. Did this have something to do with the packaging, like Lincoln cent matte proofs?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    Beefer518Beefer518 Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

That is one beautiful BTW!

This is the only one I have imaged; had a coating of shellac or something, and this is the best I've been able to do with it.

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was building a bag of Walkers once over time whenever I stoped at my local B&M I’d pick up a few each time and sometimes I’d be able to buy a circ commem for the same price. I’d seed the rolls with Bookers and others when I could.

I little circulation really sets off the design.

The MS examples are great when the cheek is fully struck up, which I hardly see, but nice when it happens. Killer toning never hurts these IMO.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always really liked the reverse of these coins. The front is OK, but I’m just used to profile views, not head on.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my favorites too. Here are a couple beauties:

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

For total number of years from start to finish the Oregon Trail has it beat.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Larry

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭

The BTW has always fascinated me too.
    Great U.S. coin.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like them too.....bought and sold quite a number of them, nice toners included.

• Options
    Beefer518Beefer518 Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

@Cameonut - Talk about a matched set! Very nice!

• Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice BTW's. :)

photo 1950sBTW_MS64PL_Combo.jpg

photo Heritage_1950S_BTW_NGC64PL_Slab_Obv_Lg.jpg
    Seller's Image.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2017 7:35AM

I only own this 1950-S today with intense luster and flame orange obverse centers. I did try to do a complete toned set of Booker Taliaferro Washington's but abandoned that project as I mostly spent my time twiddling my thumbs in between finding any worthy examples. The obverse of this BTW is plated in the web art of a coin toning enthusiasts forum site.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The subject, Booker T. Washington, though mentioned in history class in school, was indeed a very interesting individual. The coin led me to read his history and achievements.... This aspect of numismatics is one of the most rewarding values I get from the hobby. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CommemDude said:
    Usually these 1946 sets were sold in a 3 coin holder with acetate slide so the side that was "down" or in touch with the paper backing is toned, and the other side is nearly white, like robec's beautiful coin above.
    Here are a few other examples; I suspect the OGH 46D was stored in a paper envelope.

Looks like my 46D landed in your set!
    I'm surprised the set was broken up (unless of course, you have the P and S as well).

Still wish I had that set.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sold this is a recent Legend auction

Ex Bingham

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,981 ✭✭✭✭✭

The photo at the start of this thread is most interesting. Note that Booker T. Washington is depicted as having blue eyes. I'm assuming that the photo was originally black and white and has been colorized (very well done). Did he actually have blue eyes?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2017 5:31AM

@Cameonut said: > Still wish I had that set.

>

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file