Home Metal Detecting
Options

The Boys on Oak Island

metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finding some neat historical stuff. Any one else watching the "Curse of Oak Island" . I'm hooked but my wife wants to take my remote. Not! Gary the metal detector expert has been giving some great tips.
Cheers

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions

Comments

• Options

Ricko, I agree with that. The easiest way to become a Millionaire is start as a Billionaire and go treasure hunting. Ha! Even so I'm pulling for the guys.

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll have to check that show out. I like watching Gold Rush and some of the other treasure hunting shows. I think I spent a lot of time reading about Oak Island after reading Riptide, a novel by Lincoln Child and Douglas Preston years ago.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a watcher !!! B)

Timbuk3
  • Options

Best show on TV today !!! I <3 IT

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember reading about Oak Island back in the mid-1960's in Numismatic News.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden.... Yes... and in the over seventy or eighty years of searching, and millions of dollars expended, they are still without a treasure.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    zski123zski123 Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

I like the show but was let down a bit when my cousin who lives in Nova Scotia told me all the equipment has been taken off the island.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oak Island has a hole in the ground you throw money into.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

It takes a year to get to the point and then you find out they really didn't get to the point

• Options

Unfortunately, there is no point to get to.... it was reached years and years ago... there is NOTHING there...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Unfortunately, there is no point to get to.... it was reached years and years ago... there is NOTHING there...Cheers, RickO

Not exactly true. It was "mined" for a TV series.

The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Options

@vplite...You got a point there..... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

Last episode the drill rig pressure washed up bits of white and blue pottery bits from a depth of around 190 feet. Still watching with my pop corn.

• Options
    coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

"Could it be? ancient treasure buried by -----(Insert ancient civilization, empire country, esoteric brotherhood, pirates) on Oak Island?"

Pick a continent, pick a historical time, pick a civilization, pick an antagonist power, put them together, with "possibly in the" pick a century and you have your very own Oak Island treasure theory!

Every time that narrator starts up I swear to god.

Still watching tho because I am hooked...

all around collector of many fine things

• Options

Soon they will find the lost city of Atlantis.... or something they plant to make it exciting.....Cheers, RickO

• Options

These shows are all scripted, so something will be added for interest... and then a cliff hanger at the season end to get people back the next season. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found it to be an excruciatingly drawn out comedy of errors. I also cannot believe that anyone invested money into the production of this fiasco. You want to see detectorists finding great stuff just go to YouTube and watch aquachigger. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Yep... that old 'money pit' will never produce anything....the real fortune is the millions of dollars wasted in the search for a myth......Cheers, RickO

• Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

judging by the bone fragments.. they found hoffa

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

“A _____, found 180 ft down in the money pit?”

Every single coin found on that show somehow links back to the Knight’s Templar. Yeah, I’m still watching tho

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kiyote said:
    “A _____, found 180 ft down in the money pit?”

Every single coin found on that show somehow links back to the Knight’s Templar. Yeah, I’m still watching tho

A monthly Netflix subscription is really not that expensive. And a lot more entertaining.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    spy88spy88 Posts: 764 ✭✭

After a long absence, I came back to see what has/is being said about this show. I'm hooked and still watch with hope they'll find something definitive...for their sake as well as their avid fans.
    Wanted to say that I got fed up with Gary's method of "cleaning" coin/jewelry finds with his fingers! So I emailed them this issue (put it politely) and two episodes later, he isn't doing it anymore. He is supposed to be a expert MD'er and someone had to tell him he's doing it wrong? Hmmm.

Everything starts and everything stops at precisely the right time for precisely the right reason.
  • Options

I am just amazed at how much stuff they are finding in Smith's cove. I am a big fan also. Still watching. Gary seems to find all the good stuff. So far.... :)

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also the way he sweeps his detector coil drives me crazy. No overlap and sometimes it’s six inches or more off the ground

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check out metaldetector24 on YouTube. Guy in Germany who gets right to the point with a Deus. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife likes to watch just to hear them say "Rick and Marty Lagina...." and laughs every time she hears it.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    spy88spy88 Posts: 764 ✭✭

THE biggest complaint I have of the show is their constant referring back to what was done or said or found or etc.! I'm yelling at the tv telling them "THIS ISN'T THE FIRST EPISODE I'VE WATCHED, DAMMIT!"

And how about these guys...
    https://msn.com/en-us/video/science/buried-treasure-amateur-metal-detectorists-find-over-500-coins-from-the-14th-century/vi-BBW4rhk?ocid=AARDHP

Everything starts and everything stops at precisely the right time for precisely the right reason.
  • Options

Another year, another disappointment for the crew. More questions than answers. The crane operators strike really was a big blow. Good luck next year. IF there is a next year!

• Options

I am sure there will be a 'next year'...just as I am sure there will NEVER be a treasure found... Cheers, RickO

• Options

I wonder if it was found long ago by someone who knew to keep quiet

• Options

@No Headlights... That is a possibility...However 'keeping one's mouth shut' is not a common trait anymore....Cache hunters never talk about finds... but there are not many of us ....Cheers, RickO

• Options

I agree Rick. There is definitely still plenty to be found, but not near as many people looking. When I started detecting in the 70s there were several well known full time
    cache hunters.

• Options

The weather is improving here, so soon it will be time to check out some spots for old cellar holes in the low mountains... Since this area dates back to colonial times, there are old foundations that are off in the woods that only hunters ever see.... never know what could be buried around them....Cheers, RickO