Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Carson Mint telephone - followup letter to HQ

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 22, 2017 11:10AM in U.S. Coin Forum

The following letter was sent to Mint HQ by the superintendent of the Carson Mint. It was an attempt to explain his purchase of eight telephones. There should be other letters on this subject still to be discovered. Have fun!

Mint of the United States
Carson, Nevada
_
_March 19, 1883

Hon. Horatio Burchard
Director of the Mint
Washington, D.C.
_
_Sir:
Referring to your letter dated 12th instant respecting the suspension of my Ordinary Expense Account for January 1883, for an explanation, I desire to say that these telephones have no reference whatever to my request dated March 27, 1882, and your letter of reply dated April 8, 1882.
The 8 telephones (voucher No. 103) are used exclusively within this building and connect the Office of the Superintendent, Chief Clerk, Melter & Refiner, Coiner, Assayer, and the Refining and Adjusting Rooms, and the Vestibule of the building.
We find that they are very useful and beneficial in carrying on the operations of this Mint.
Heretofore Officers and Employees desiring to communicate with each other were compelled to leave their several duties and occupations which at times greatly interfered with their work.
I trust this explanation will be satisfactory and the account allowed.
Respecting my Ordinary and refining Accounts Current for January 1883, I beg to say that I did not deem them necessary as I supposed blank form No. 224 would take its place.
The Accounts Current are enclosed herewith.

Very respectfully,
James Crawford
Superintendent

Comments

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never doubt that the Mint was always subject to the same bureaucracy as everyone else.

I can only imagine Mr. Burchard's reaction the next time Crawford visited HQ. "What, you guys are too f&%*#!@ lazy to get up and walk to each other's offices?"

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Hello Central, Get me Melting and Refining!"

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

:D There are several ways to achieve a goal.... When the direct route does not work... well.. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file