Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Buffalo nickel

Found this 1936 s buffalo nickel coin roll hunting looks like a three and a half leg, never heard of a s mint three and a half leg

Comments

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2017 6:54PM

Welcome to the forum.
    That Buffs leg does seem to be pretty weak alright. I personally think you might have the real deal there going by the pics.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

Thanks crazyhounddog thanks for ur opinion going to send it in

• Options
    edited November 22, 2017 10:28AM

I wish you all the luck in the world my buffalo nickel buddy ;)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

I'll let you know what the outcome is. thanks again bud.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

I, for one, am tired of these close up pics with no other pics showing the whole coin. Damn, I think that that is a 1933. :(

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

Y would i lie. The date is on the obverse what good would a pic of whole reverse do

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭

Very interesting! I would like to see a pic from a little further away. It is tough to discern exactly what it is. Welcome to the place!! There are a lot of experts who hang out here! Hopefully they will provide some insight for you.

• Options

Hope these help

• Options

This too

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

That will not grade, damaged. Not sure about the 3 1/2 leg

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the pics. I did not call you a liar, just said I wanted to see the whole coin. Now that I have seen it I would offer my opinion: It's corroded and probably not a 3.5 leg. A coins condition can answer how or why a coin looks as it does. When a coin corrodes the metal is eaten away....JMHO.
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said: "I, for one, am tired of these close up pics with no other pics showing the whole coin."

I disagree. I LMAF when an OP asks a question about a particular part of a coin (in this case the leg) like an RPM and some "numismatic genius" asks to see the entire opposite side of the coin that has absolutely nothing to do with anything of use!

@ChrisH821 said: "That will not grade, damaged. Not sure about the 3 1/2 leg."

I agree. The coin is badly corroded and that's probably why the leg looks like something special. Good luck getting a TPGS to slab your coin as a 3 1/2 leg if none are known for this date and mint.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my opinion you would not see anything from the hoof up to the knee. I see the whole leg.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nickelnut.... Welcome aboard,....Your coin is damaged and will likely be slabbed as such... it appears to have spent considerable time in a corrosive environment - such as the ground.... I have dug several Buffs that look just like that, minus the severe scratches....Some areas, such as farm fields or pine thickets, have acidic soil and will corrode nickels. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Yes after seeing the whole coin I must agree it is in fact corroded. So sorry for my mistake in my first response, I was wrong. Not only corroded it's also damages with horrible scratches .
    Keep at it coin brother you'll be fine.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:
    Many times, if not most times,
    a close up of a particular area
    of a coin is not sufficient to see
    the 'totality' of the coin's entire design &
    surfaces, which could be important
    in trying to diagnose what the
    possible error or die variety is.

And, many times, seeing a photo
    of the obverse of the coin in question,
    even though the error is on the
    reverse side, is also helpful and
    important.

I agree, just not on coin's such as RPM's, DDO, DDR, MPD's RPD's, OMM's, and... I probably left out many more. IMO, these are different from errors where both sides are important.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I concur; the missing detail is the result of environmental damage.
    I suspected it from the first photo -- it had that sienna-red corroded look.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file