Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

USPS

goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a registered package coming from California. It has been to San Francisco twice and to Atlanta twice. Oh my gosh!

Comments

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

After it goes to Chicago then to Atlanta once more it should show up a few days later.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2017 3:05PM

call USPS with the tracking number they will flag it in the system as being watched. This motivates handlers to get it moving. Worked for me on a package that sat in the same location for five days. what's the tracking number, would like to take a look.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

@golden said:
    I have a registered package coming from California. It has been to San Francisco twice and to Atlanta twice. Oh my gosh!

But at least they know where it is!!

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went to the post office today to send out a good amount worth of coins and wanted to do it registered mail. The employee, loudly and in front of everyone, goes "Why do you want to send it registered, what is it? Is it valuable?"

I didn't appreciate that very much. When you're carrying a package with 10k worth of coins the last thing you want is that announced to the 10 people in line behind you.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's why it's better to have everything filled out and just do a transaction!

@PhilLynott said:
    I went to the post office today to send out a good amount worth of coins and wanted to do it registered mail. The employee, loudly and in front of everyone, goes "Why do you want to send it registered, what is it? Is it valuable?"

I didn't appreciate that very much. When you're carrying a package with 10k worth of coins the last thing you want is that announced to the 10 people in line behind you.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PhilLynott said:

Tell them it's cremated remains. They will insist on 'express registered', but it might be worth it to shut them up. First time I mailed anything registered from my now current PO the lady actually ASSUMED I was sending cremains because it was heavy and registered. I was a bit startled at the price and clarified no, just regular registered. Until she retired I would proactively inform them it's not a cremated body. They know I'm into something collectible but I think they think it's jewelry. I don't love that, but nothing goes missing using the registered.

Or, just tell them 'no I want to make sure it actually gets there'. However, they do get to see the insured amount so that would probably not be helpful. Perhaps complain to the local postmaster that their employee created a security risk for you...not likely to help, but it might.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Registered mail has always worked for me.... a tad slow, but never a problem. It is interesting to follow the tracking though.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you've ever stood in line at the PO and listened to and observed some of the bozos that they have to deal with, it's amazing that anyone would stay in a job like that, and take pride in their work. We have two PO's equidistant from our home. One is awesome and the other is terrible, generally. Overall, I think they get a bad rap.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geez, what a drag !!! :s

Timbuk3
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

A rare case, I'm sure you will be happy when they arrive safe and sound.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2017 2:41PM

Hopefully the package was able to attend the Cal-Stanford game-My mail and packages seem to visit all the places I would like to be... And this is not even a commercial for a major credit card.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden said:

Incoming package has been bouncing between Phoenix and Tucson since Saturday.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

sometimes tracking will show it moving around within the same zip code. Not unusual, being handed off to someone else.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, it arrived today. I had to stand in line 20 minutes to get it. That office never has more than one clerk on the window. Another office in the area ( that has the same amount of business ) always has 2 and often 3 clerks on the window.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Usually when it goes back and forth to a hub like that it's because there is a problem reading the address.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your package is in Buffalo today....My carrier was asking me if I know you.... ;)

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had something going up the East Coast take a 17 day detour to Denver shortly after marijuana was legalized. Must've been a good party!

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

@LindeDad said:
    Well if it's registered it's just trying to find someone that can read and write, to be sent to the right place.

It is only going to get worse .. A Lot of old timers retiring Dec 1st ,before a pension change for Post Office employees takes effect
    :|:|:|:|:|

• Options

@PhilLynott said:

I always tell them it contains my kidney, or a turkey sandwich going to a needy person.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2017 5:36PM

Never had any problems with them. Guess I'm just lucky. The behind the counter employees deal with a lot of ignorant problem people. All day long. It has to take a toll on them. That being said, the most outrageous, strange behavior of workers at any place I've ever dealt with have been postal workers. Whatever. The vast majority of them are dedicated and doing their best. BTW, has anyone here ever sent a package to Brazil. Try it. After you do, you will appreciate our USPS employees.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

BTW, has anyone here ever sent a package to Brazil. Try it. After you do, you will appreciate our USPS employees.

How true....Anywhere in South America is impossible. Many years ago, I sponsored a foster child through 'World Vision'. He was in Bolivia. I always sent him stuff that he would otherwise never see, football shirts, baseball cards, Nike sneakers....I tried to send him everything. He would write to me also and I would ask him if he ever got this or that. He never saw any of that stuff.....I can't imagine living where mail absolutely doesn't work....._

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once I sent a painting to Africa, it was stolen before it arrived to its destination.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed recently first class with USPS is very slow. It used to be two but now 10 days. Priority is maybe three or four days now. I don't know what happens.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

USPS - less problems than the finger on 1 hand.
    FedEx - problems keep mounting up....right now, I am dealing with them on a couple of times where the driver makes something as "delivery exception - no one home/business closed" when I WAS home and I have a motion detecting video camera that caught other people/things but never saw any fedex driver....or truck.... So, he is lying. Flat out. Also, the items were NO signature required and there were NO missed delivery tags.

Give me USPS any day!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Say what you will, everyone has their own experiences, but I have never lost anything with the USPS :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    Say what you will, everyone has their own experiences, but I have never lost anything with the USPS :smile:

If you don't send thousands of packages, you may not notice.

Overall, they do a wonderful job. They do, however, misdirect about 1 in 1000 packages and lose maybe half of those. The rate seems to have gone up considerably this year, however. Just today, I found out that a package that was supposed to go to Germany is lost in the U.S. at the same zip code. Whether they find it and get it redirected or not remains to be seen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file