Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I predict EBay's next Top Rated Seller Requirement will be

amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just happened to notice this offer:
List with 30-day free returns and save on fees!
50% final value fee discount when you offer free 30-day returns!
What ya wanna bet within the next year it will be a requirement to be a Top Rated Seller!

Comments

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a hard thing for a heck of a lot vest type dealers but then again vest type are not top sellers usually

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Already a requirement:

"As a Top Rated Seller, you get 10% off final value fees, as well as a seal on your listings, when you offer same or 1 day handling time, and, for most categories, a 30 day return policy."

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

I miss my 20% off in fvf :'(

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

You missed the point of "Free Returns"

@derryb said:
    Already a requirement:

"As a Top Rated Seller, you get 10% off final value fees, as well as a seal on your listings, when you offer same or 1 day handling time, and, for most categories, a 30 day return policy."

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been trying to buy some of those free's at the Post Office and they don't have them.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

My returns are free, but you gotta pay the shipping to get them back to me.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Just happened to notice this offer:
    List with 30-day free returns and save on fees!
    50% final value fee discount when you offer free 30-day returns!
    What ya wanna bet within the next year it will be a requirement to be a Top Rated Seller!

Yes you are probably correct. Also they may push "free" shipping even more than they already do.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    Already a requirement:

Gee, thanks eBay. A nice shiny seal on my listings.
    What could be better than that?

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be crippling for me, as a lot of things I sell the shipping is more than the item.

Make it too easy to return and have the buyers have no skin in the game, then everything gets bought on approval, buy 20 and keep the best one.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ScarsdaleCoin said:
    That’s a hard thing for a heck of a lot vest type dealers but then again vest type are not top sellers usually

Some are!!

o:)

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2017 6:20PM

I offer to buy back anything I sell. Haven’t had any takers with my auctions. I will give ya 90 days.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

it is currently required to have a 30 day return policy to get the discount.

Save more on your final value fees
    As a Top Rated Seller, you get 10% off final value fees, as well as a seal on your listings, when you offer same or 1 day handling time, and, for most categories, a 30 day return policy. See exceptions.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2017 6:26PM

Top Rated Plus benefits

As a Top Rated seller, you can qualify for exclusive benefits if you offer the following premium services in your listings:

• Same- or one-business-day handling, and
    • A 30-day or longer return period with money back option
    • Sellers can choose to offer these services in some or all of their listings. For those listings that offer the above premium services, the following benefits apply:

• The Top Rated Plus seal (Top Rated Plus seal) displayed prominently in search results and in the listing description

• A 10% discount on final value fees (this applies to the final item price only, not to shipping charges).

Exceptions to the Top Rated Plus requirements for discount eligibility
    Listings with a freight shipping service must accept returns, but aren't required to offer same- or 1-business-day handling, to qualify for Top Rated Plus benefits.
    Listings in the following categories must offer same- or 1-business-day handling, but don't have to accept returns:

• Bullion > Silver
    • Bullion > Gold
    • Bullion > Platinum & Palladium
    • Gift Cards & Coupons
    • Tickets & Experiences
    • Business & Industrial
    • Pet Supplies > Bird Supplies > Food & Treats
    • Pet Supplies > Cat Supplies > Cat Food
    • Pet Supplies > Dog Supplies > Dog Food
    • Pet Supplies > Fish & Aquariums > Coral & Live Rock
    • Pet Supplies > Fish & Aquariums > Food
    • Pet Supplies > Fish & Aquariums > Live Fish
    • Pet Supplies > Fish & Aquariums > Live Invertebrates
    • Pet Supplies > Fish & Aquariums > Live Plants
    • Pet Supplies > Small Animal Supplies > Food
    • Sporting Goods > Fishing > Baits, Lures & Flies > Live Bait
    • Yard, Garden & Outdoor Living > Plants, Seeds & Bulbs > Plants & Seedlings
    • Home & Garden > Food & Beverages

The following aren't eligible for Top Rated Plus benefits:

• Listings in the Real Estate and Specialty Services categories.
    • Listings that offer local pick-up only.
  • Options
    boyernumismaticsboyernumismatics Posts: 473 ✭✭✭✭

I used to offer 30 day hassle free returns with same business day handling, but people started to abuse it, so there went that. I still have top-rated seller status from just selling electronics and coins, no returns, same day handling.

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

I didnt even realize the discount went down to 10%.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

For all intents in purposes you ALREADY HAVE FREE RETURNS. By eBay policy, if the customer simply declares "item not as described", they force you to pay anyway. If the customer files a PayPal chargeback, you will be on the hook also.

Fortunately, returns are pretty rare with coins. I only get about 4 or 5 per year on more than 2000 packages sold.

• Options

@boyernumismatics said:
    I used to offer 30 day hassle free returns with same business day handling, but people started to abuse it, so there went that. I still have top-rated seller status from just selling electronics and coins, no returns, same day handling.

You may have top-rated status, but you don't get the 10% discount unless the item meets the return policy.

• Options
    boyernumismaticsboyernumismatics Posts: 473 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@boyernumismatics said:

You may have top-rated status, but you don't get the 10% discount unless the item meets the return policy.

You're right. I'm tired of being "played by the rules," though, so for me, the risk is worth the "reward."

• Options

@boyernumismatics said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@boyernumismatics said:

You're right. I'm tired of being "played by the rules," though, so for me, the risk is worth the "reward."

I don't completely disagree. When the discount went from 20% to 10%, I really had to re-evaluate. If it shrinks further...I may surrender myself.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's as if they don't already require too much for what they provide in technological assistance and sales promotion. You try to check out your sales over the last month and it defaults to buyer's email? Sellers are required to take various unreasonable buyer conduct, instead of having robust, honest and open feedback on both sides. If you buy at a dealer's shop or show you are totally at their discretion on returns with excuses and stonewalling, but on ebay it's the other way around. I see some seller's charge a 10% "restocking fee" on ebay, that would be hard to enforce.

• Options
    Booger9989Booger9989 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

Next up ...free gift with purchase. ..or buy 1 get 2 free!

Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler
  • Options

@logger7 said:
    It's as if they don't already require too much for what they provide in technological assistance and sales promotion. You try to check out your sales over the last month and it defaults to buyer's email? Sellers are required to take various unreasonable buyer conduct, instead of having robust, honest and open feedback on both sides. If you buy at a dealer's shop or show you are totally at their discretion on returns with excuses and stonewalling, but on ebay it's the other way around. I see some seller's charge a 10% "restocking fee" on ebay, that would be hard to enforce.

It's impossible to enforce unless the customer is honest (or dumb). If the buyer "changed their mind" then the restocking fee applies and the buyer pays return shipping. If the buyer chooses just about any other reason for the return, the seller pays the return shipping and the restocking fee is not in force.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file