Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is Dealer to Dealer Pricing that much different than Dealer to Customer Pricing?

I know customer to dealer is often times the lowest amount paid for coins, but what about Dealer to Dealer vs Dealer to Customer.

Be honest guys & gals.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen

Comments

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes and if you pay cash that's the key as well some will say there is no difference but CASH is King it gets me bigger discounts.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends if the dealer needs gas money to get home.

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭

If you ask Jack Beymer I bet he says no.

Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

It depends on how much they buy from me.
    If they are a high volume buyer, and I can move some stuff, they will get a better price than someone I don't know or do very little business with.
    Same with collectors-- if they buy a lot from me, they will get better deals.
    Sometimes I "wholesale" to collectors, although the wholesale/retail distinction is rapidly eroding, if it even still exists.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

It depends on what it is. Margins on a lot of coins are pretty thin to begin with. A "dealer" won't get a huge break on a lot of things, but if it's a dealer you regularly deal with, you give a better price to get consideration later.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn't matter if you are a dealer or a non-dealer. The person who gets the best price is the one who has cash and is a consistent buyer (assuming everyone's negotiation skill is equal).

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

All depends on the dealer. The are some out there you can't work with. It depends on what it is and the quantity also. Like someone said before cash is king.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really don’t get the Cash is King thing. If you are in the market for $1000 coins, are collectors really walking around with a few thousand dollars in cash at shows in case they find something they like?

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. Collectors often walk around the bourse with tens of thousands in cash. Besides that, a check from someone you have a long positive history with is almost the same thing.

What turns people off is a check that you need to hold until February.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just have a shop in a "government town" like Sacramento and there IS no collector price.
    I sold 90% of my good stuff to dealers because the customers won't pay for anything. :#

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you don't have the money in the bank don't write check.
    It is just that simple.

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options

One simple fact is that good coins always sell and NO discount is needed to move those coins.

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2017 6:53AM

It is just that simple.

That's how live, but I don't believe that's the reality for some, perhaps many, dealers.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

@PTVETTER said:
    One simple fact is that good coins always sell and NO discount is needed to move those coins.

Clearly you are not a dealer

• Options

@PTVETTER said:
    It is just that simple.

It is quite common for dealers to extend each other credit on occasion. This ids usually done informally by post dating a check

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2017 8:23AM

A lot of dealers are fishing for high prices, which they won't get from wholesale customers. Unfortunately the high retail customer is probably as rare as the coins they are selling unless the coin has some special attribute. With the simplicity of pricing analysis these days not too many people are fooled by overpriced items. With raw coins the dynamic is intensified on coins real dealers and numismatists would never take the risk on.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I went to shows in the Northwest, I often carried very large sums of money and negotiated based on cash purchases. Yes, thousands of dollars..... of course, I am always armed as well. ;) I do not know if I got 'dealer to dealer' prices, however, I was happy and the dealer seemed happy. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a dealer friend that I did a lot of business with once tell me that he sells the really nice coins to me cheaper that to other dealers because there's a good chance that one day I could sell him back the coins while the coins that he sells to another dealer will usually never come back to him. Makes sense to me.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭

With regards to the cash statement:

When I first attended shows I had 5 figures of cash on me and some dealers actually tell me they would prefer a check when I gave them the option.

Since then I've dealt with only checks (having a good history and references to back me up).

I can only assume those dealers didn't want the liability of all that cash on hand.

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Define "dealer"

APMEX ? = ? Joe "Who sells 5 coins a year" Average

Normally a dealer is someone (or company) that buys from the manufacturer or distributor and sells retail.

For anything dated prior to 2017, no one can buy from the manufacturer and there really is not a central manufactuer's approved distributor's group, except for the Eagles Program, so there is

NO CONTROL OVER WHAT IS A DEALER.

One could say they have to be 'ANA" or whatever, but since there is no single "licensing" body, that is meaningless.

So I get a tax ID from my state, and VOILA, I AM A DEALER, give me a discounted rate.

Whatever.

I have stacks of DBA's that I use to organize and control expenses, get discounts, etc. and as they become non purposeful, they are closed, discarded and new ones created.

With the internet, ebay, etc. the blurry line of what is a PROFESSIONAL DEALER Vs. SMALL TIME DEALER Vs. VEST POCKET DEALER Vs. JOE SELLING EXTRA STUFF OR MAKING A QUICK FLIP DEALER" evaporates, and everyone can be a DEALER if they so designate themselves as one.

When I worked for Amazon, the numbers of "Joe" and "janes" buying merchandise to resell, ergo a "dealer" with no "physical Presence" is staggering and blowing to bits "traditional" concepts of what a "dealer" or "retailer" is.

• Options

@mustangmanbob said:
    Define "dealer"

APMEX ? = ? Joe "Who sells 5 coins a year" Average

Normally a dealer is someone (or company) that buys from the manufacturer or distributor and sells retail.

For anything dated prior to 2017, no one can buy from the manufacturer and there really is not a central manufactuer's approved distributor's group, except for the Eagles Program, so there is

Much of what you say is true. There are dealers who range from APMEX to John Q. Public selling a few coins at a flea market.

BUT, the definition of a dealer as someone who buys from a manufacturer and sells retail is nonsensical. By that definition, only the Authorized Dealers are actually dealers and even Stack's Bowers or Heritage are NOT coin dealers. The requirement of doing retail sales makes sense, but requiring that the company buy from a manufacturer does not.

Although if you want to consider other "dealers" as distributors (you don't seem to), then I suppose your definition will then apply to everyone including 5-coin Charlie that you referenced.

I would also point out that using your manufacturer/distributor criteria, then "antique dealers" aren't really dealers, "used car" dealers aren't really dealers, etc.

• Options

I NEVER accept a post dated checks!
    I have held a check for a day or two ,but a post dated check never.
    As someone posted a tax ID number is not a dealer but a federal EIN is.
    Good dealers have no problem making arrangements to pay later, but that is earned.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2017 11:52AM

People are just trying to make a living. Put food on the table and keep a roof over their heads. Do your research. If you have the money, pay what the man asks. It's only fair.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely !!!

Timbuk3
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2017 7:20AM

I don’t know. I buy from customers ( usually non-collectors who inherited stuff) , and sell to dealers. In fact, the margins are so thin on most items that it’s not even worth commenting here. So the stuff sells on Ebay for less and as such, I pay less and buy more. 99.9 % raw, baby.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file