Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I listed this coins rejection from submission grading wrong

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently posted my terrible 1st submission results due to my lack of knowledge. I listed this 1913 T1 Buffalo as having been rejected due to cleaning as was the other four. It was not rejected for cleaning, but for wrapping machine damage. Either way it was rejected, but for different reasons.
Thanks
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not post a magnified image of the damage. Some members have possibly not heard of that one.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see the damage. Am I missing an obvious issue or is it just really well hidden?

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2017 11:54AM

Not seeing the "damage"...that is a beauty of a Type I Buffalo! Did you get your images mixed up?

(Coin) Wrapping Damage normally leaves some form of machined "ring" onto in the surface of the coin...at least the ones that I have seen.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is wrapping machine damage? TYIA

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since counting machine damage rarely impairs the aesthetic quality of Buffalos, and occurred at the mint, why do they automatically no grade these?

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:
    What is wrapping machine damage? TYIA

yeah, what he said.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Machines that wrap coins into paper rolls have a metal finger that rolls the ends if the wrapper used to sort these into a $2 roll of nickels (or other denominations, with appropriate face value amounts.) This metal finger can make a circular scratch on the coins at each end of the roll as it rotates around to form the rolled edges of the wrapper. This is commonly referred to as "counting machine" damage.

BTW-I don't see any obvious counting machine damage to your coin.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank for clarification, but it does not make you feel much better does it.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not seeing the rings on the coin from the wrapping machine.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said: "Since counting machine damage rarely impairs the aesthetic quality of Buffalos, and occurred at the mint, why do they automatically no grade these?"

WHAT!!??? Please read the following post. AFAIK, there is a big difference between an error coin due to a production mistake and DAMAGE no matter when or where it occurred.

At the moment, I cannot think of any damage that does not impair the aesthetic quality of a coin to a numismatist. I will grant you that acid, sand blasting, polishing, whizzing, etc can make specimens very attractive to non-numismatists. Therefore, I suspect they might also like wheel damaged coins with grooves carved into their surface. Hopefully, my reply plus the post below should answer you question. :)

@koynekwest said: "Machines that wrap coins into paper rolls have a metal finger that rolls the ends if the wrapper used to sort these into a $2 roll of nickels (or other denominations, with appropriate face value amounts.) This metal finger can make a circular scratch on the coins at each end of the roll as it rotates around to form the rolled edges of the wrapper. This is commonly referred to as "counting machine" damage."

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2017 4:05PM

@Insider2 said:
    @logger7 said: "Since counting machine damage rarely impairs the aesthetic quality of Buffalos, and occurred at the mint, why do they automatically no grade these?"

WHAT!!??? Please read the following post. AFAIK, there is a big difference between an error coin due to a production mistake and DAMAGE no matter when or where it occurred.

At the moment, I cannot think of any damage that does not impair the aesthetic quality of a coin to a numismatist. I will grant you that acid, sand blasting, polishing, whizzing, etc can make specimens very attractive to non-numismatists. Therefore, I suspect they might also like wheel damaged coins with grooves carved into their surface. Hopefully, my reply plus the post below should answer you question. :)

@koynekwest said: "Machines that wrap coins into paper rolls have a metal finger that rolls the ends if the wrapper used to sort these into a $2 roll of nickels (or other denominations, with appropriate face value amounts.) This metal finger can make a circular scratch on the coins at each end of the roll as it rotates around to form the rolled edges of the wrapper. This is commonly referred to as "counting machine" damage."

Most of the coins I've sent in with "counting machine damage" noted have had trivial "damage" usually to the reverse of Buffalos. Suddenly a proud owner of a nice coin has his tail beneath his legs, is hang dog and dispirited. Is this any way for paying customers of the grading services to be treated? I can see it with major damage but the few times I got that on Buffalos was minor. And compare counting machine nicks with the deep hits we have all witnessed on coins graded 60 and above....

• Options

How deceptive of that seller to hide that damage. I hope you retuned the coin and left him a nice neg.

• Options

That's an excellent illustration of this form of damage, lkeigwin.

• Options

I received the returned submission this morning and just before leaving for the Dr's office I made this post. Yes, I did post the wrong picture, The coins are quite similar in hand with the one I posted the beautiful pic by CrazyHoundDog which had been cleaned per PCGS instead of the one I had no intention of sending in as I only needed one. Unfortunately, it was the coin with wrapping machine damage, which I had only heard the term and never truly understood the method of damage.
    Here are the two coins with my pics(sorry Joe) and they are similar than with Joes pic. My bad. But still hopefully this post will educate those who did not know about this type of damage. As you can plainly see, the damage from the counting wheel is thru the United States on the reverse of the 1st one. Only one I have ever seen and it had to be mine.lol
    Thanks to all who took the time to view the post and reply.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

My ignorance when were counting machines first used

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not seeing it .Maybe because your pictures are to dark?

• Options
    edited November 20, 2017 3:12PM

Look at the top of the 1st buff's reverse and you will see the mark through the top of United States from the process.
    Jim

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

The new pics show the damage from the wrapping machine. Thanks for posting them.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

When they say DAMAGE it can be more then Scratches, "Varnish", other stuff. They look like they have Varnish.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

PCGS actually stated what the damage was from
    Jim

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 'damage' is clear in the new pictures....thanks for the follow up clarification. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:

@Insider2 said:

Most of the coins I've sent in with "counting machine damage" noted have had trivial "damage" usually to the reverse of Buffalos. Suddenly a proud owner of a nice coin has his tail beneath his legs, is hang dog and dispirited. Is this any way for paying customers of the grading services to be treated? I can see it with major damage but the few times I got that on Buffalos was minor. And compare counting machine nicks with the deep hits we have all witnessed on coins graded 60 and above....

"Bag marks" occur from the coins rattling together. I agree, they can sometimes be severe and unattractive. But they aren't due to external mechanical damage like "wrapping machine damage".

It's also worth noting that the aesthetic value of a coin is different from the technical grade. You can have a very "pretty" coin no-grade for specific issues (cleaning, mechanical marks, etc.) that don't significantly detract from the "prettiness" but that aren't allowed in the current market.

[Side Bar: A 19th century PCGS would have slabbed dipped or even lightly polished silver coins. An early 20th century PCGS would probably have slabbed lacquered coins. A mid 21st century PCGS...???]

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    Look at the top of the 1st buff's reverse and you will see the mark through the top of United States from the process.
    Jim

Thanks for sharing this Jim. I learn a lot on this forum, and most of the time it is something like this that I had never heard of. And thanks also to Lance for the very descriptive pic on a Lincoln roll.

OINK

• Options

And here is one that was called machine counting damage on a Morgan dollar no less: https://i.imgur.com/C9RJLv9.jpg?1 https://i.imgur.com/pZ2npP1.jpg?1

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file