Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Frosty quarters.

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most call these cameo Proofs. I believe "Frosty" is reserved for a type of luster like the "frosty" head of Washington on the cameo.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Most call these cameo Proofs. I believe "Frosty" is reserved for a type of luster like the "frosty" head of Washington on the cameo.

I've never heard of that interpretation before. In my experience, "frosty" refers specifically to the degree of contrast between the devices and the fields. Doesn't matter whether it is the portrait or not.

Personally, I agree that the coins pictured are frosty - to varying degrees.

Agree with your comment that most call these cameo proofs (and don't talk about frost).

Rick Tomaska often refers to frost on the portrait and other devices as "caked". Apparently in reference to very deeply frosted cameo.

In the end, cameos in this era are far more elusive and beautiful than the common brilliant examples off of more worn dies.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

1963 has a DCAM shot. Only problem is, it has to go PR-69 to be worth it!

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1963 is a solid Cameo, approaching DCAM. While very nice it does not compare to my best 63 quarter, which is DCAM ++++.

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can we get cropped & rotated pics. What's with all these moon shots?

The more you VAM..
  • Options

@CascadeChris said:
    Can we get cropped & rotated pics. What's with all these moon shots?

If you click the image, you can go nice and big if you wish!

• Options

I pulled this one from the wild in a sealed set.

-

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, again OCD..

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your making me want a Frosty Beer

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    edited November 19, 2017 9:37PM

@Cameonut said:

@Insider2 said:

I've never heard of that interpretation before. In my experience, "frosty" refers specifically to the degree of contrast between the devices and the fields. Doesn't matter whether it is the portrait or not.

Agree with your comment that most call these cameo proofs (and don't talk about frost).

Rick Tomaska often refers to frost on the portrait and other devices as "caked". Apparently in reference to very deeply frosted cameo.

In the end, cameos in this era are far more elusive and beautiful than the common brilliant examples off of more worn dies.

That's odd, with a name like "cameo nut." "Frosty" has nothing to do with contrast, yet you just agreed with much of what I posted concerning where the "frost" is located. Actually, the professional coin graders I know teach that "CAMEO" refers specifically to the degree of contrast between a coin's devices and the fields. Don't you agree?

I only tried to stamp out this misuse of the term "frosty" with my original reply to the OP; yet this error seems to be more widespread than I could possibly have imagined! :(

On third thought, I think you, me, and the OP all know what we are actually trying to communicate and perhaps I'm being a little too precise for a chat room setting. After all, no one is being tested. :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice.... From the first set of pictures, I thought the '63 could go DCAM.... From the second set, it may be the '64....certainly they will go CAM..... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭

My 60 year old dentist when he was a kid (and his dentist dad) called them “frosties”.
    I’ve explained a little, but to this day he still talks of their love of their “frosties”. ;)

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wabbit2313 said:

-

Dang, I like that one!

• Options

@RegistryCoin said: "My 60 year old dentist when he was a kid (and his dentist dad) called them “frosties”. I’ve explained a little, but to this day he still talks of their love of their “frosties”."

I guess he was not a numismatist either. :)

• Options
    aus3000tinaus3000tin Posts: 369 ✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2017 1:50PM

@asheland said:

@Wabbit2313 said:

-

Just saw this on eBay.

Nice coin.

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭

Yep.
    Luckily he’s a good dentist. :)

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@Cameonut said:

@Insider2 said:

That's odd, with a name like "cameo nut." "Frosty" has nothing to do with contrast, yet you just agreed with much of what I posted concerning where the "frost" is located. Actually, the professional coin graders I know teach that "CAMEO" refers specifically to the degree of contrast between a coin's devices and the fields. Don't you agree?

I only tried to stamp out this misuse of the term "frosty" with my original reply to the OP; yet this error seems to be more widespread than I could possibly have imagined! :(

On third thought, I think you, me, and the OP all know what we are actually trying to communicate and perhaps I'm being a little too precise for a chat room setting. After all, no one is being tested. :)

I think we are on the same page and agree that the chat room format sometimes gets in the way of the semantics. Rather than try to be more specific and nitpick the words, I'll let it go.

In the end, us "cameonuts" are looking for caked frost on the devices and lettering and deeeeep mirrors.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file