Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1818 Brazil over 1796 ? Spanish 8 Real . Whats its value ? Is it worth sending to PCGS ?

TRADECOINTRADECOIN Posts: 466 ✭✭
edited November 19, 2017 6:14PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Viet Nam Vet 66/67.
Retired Coin Shop Owner .
Still Collecting
Love my Grandkids and my German Shepherd Dogs . Kind of like my wifes Cat.

Comments

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2017 10:36AM

It's a desirable coin, the coin as a type is common. I cannot make out the mint mark from these photos (I think it has to be an "R"). The coin is typically struck over an earlier Spanish 8 reales (as is yours), and most collectors prefer it when you can see traces/ remnants of the earlier coin. Some people will jump up and down at the rim bump at 12 o'clock and at the likely cleaning (IMHO, not too detracting). This thing could go anywhere from $50 to $300, it depends on how quickly you want your money. If you are a retired coin dealer, I'd be surprised if you didn't already know everything that I have just written.

There is enough 'undertyping" on this coin that you could surely match it up with whatever Spanish King is on the earlier coin. Whatever it is, there is no "1896" going on here.

Price it at the right price point and it is unnecessary to have it slabbed. A purist would probably pop it back out anyway. It's a nice coin, overall.

• Options

Thank you Bill , There are lots of things I don't know . This coin is one I have had over 25 years . The new PCGS coin pricing magazine had a neat overstruck story . It reminded me I had this coin . I found it after looking thru a box marked foreign cool stuff . I enjoyed looking at it so I asked for help knowing that the guy who knows this type coin will know what I have . Sure I could try looking for info myself but most likely spend many wasted hours and still need help from someone .

Viet Nam Vet 66/67.
    Still Collecting
  • Options

It's a good coin, lots of people would want it. I think that your photos suggest the original coin was dated 179x - sometime in the 1790s. I would NOT be worried about authenticity, so IMHO slabbing would not add more to what a knowledgeable collector would be willing to pay.

• Options
    TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 319 ✭✭✭

In the left-hand cross point in the last photo, I can see the LIMAE monogram of the Lima mint in Peru. If you can figure out the last digit of the date, you'll have an exact attribution for the undertype. No idea of value, but very cool!

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • Options

Oh yes, Lima (very clear elided letters MAE) for sure. Wonderful eye there, TItusFlavius!!!

• Options
    edited November 19, 2017 6:28PM

This coin is similar to the original coin that the Brazilian coin is struck over. This coin is dated 1791.

Between 8 o'clock and 9 o'clock, you can see the elided LIMAE mintmark - five letters have been scrunched down into the space of little more than two letters.

Besides the MAE still visible on your Brazilian coin, the next dot is still visible and the next "8" is still very strongly visible too.

• Options

Thanks everyone , So it's 1818 brazil struck over a 179? Lima Peru King Charles 1111 8 Real . Correct ??

Viet Nam Vet 66/67.
    Still Collecting
  • Options

Think that's correct. I think that in 1818 the Brazilians only struck this coin at Rio de Janerio and there should be an "R" mintmark in the middle of the side with the globe, but it is missing or only very lightly struck. So likely (or must be) 1818-R.

The Brazilians stopped minting at the major mint in Bahia "B" and some lesser mints in 1816 and 1817. So those earlier mintmarks are no longer possible.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice !!!

Timbuk3
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

What BillDugan said...

Here are my two:

• Options
    edited November 21, 2017 8:53AM

The 1812-B shown is very very nice, great condition and great surfaces.

As a coin type, I greatly prefer the "Globe" type to the "Wreath" type, but it's just personal preference.

Did you know that the Prince Regent/King of Portugal lived in Brazil from January 1808 until April 1821? He fled Portugal in late 1807 to avoid capture by the troops of Napoleon and he liked Brazil so much that he was loathe to return to Portugal - until political events finally forced him to return.

Some of these overstruck coins were no doubt necessary to facilitate the needs of the Portuguese court (which was very large) in Brazil.