CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

In sequence no less!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice :)

Does "KP" mean anything?

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is pretty cool that the two coins have been together for such a long time.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are really neat coins to have as a pair.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    WmwoodWmwood Posts: 102 ✭✭

If you're going to buy the holder, that's the one to buy. The consecutive serial #'s! Major score in my book.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reason I bought them was the consecutive numbers.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭✭✭

ANA used several seemingly random letters, this carried forward to the Amos press days - then Amos started using all numeric. I can't prove they started at 000001, the lowest I have is 000075.

There are 2 letters used only by ANA and two letters used only by Amos and at least two that were used by both.

These original ANA cert#s are available in the anacs.com database. But when they loaded the database, they translated from two letters to a numeric prefix - for example 7xxxx are numeric cert#s but 6xxxx is the translation for LPxxxx (see http://www.anacs.com/ContentPages/BarCode.aspx). I suspect this happened after they started issuing numbers, because the two do not overlap.

There was also an A000005 that showed up on eBay a while back, nobody quite understands how that figures into the sequences.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

Continuing... had to look it up on the other computer

ANA
    CD, EX, JK, KP, LO, LP, MJ, NJ, RD, RE, TR, TX, WD, WF, WR, XA

Amos
    EX, PG, PK, RE, SC, SX, WE, ZD

So EX and RE were used by both. Likely at the time of the sale to Amos.

I've seen it reported that XA was used for show submissions.

-----Burton
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

BStrauss3, good information. Thanks.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the ANA "hotel soap" slabs. They're even smaller than the ANACS labeled ones!

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

real pieces of numismatic history you have there (and they come with coins)!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are cool. I got a Morgan in a similar holder recently.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

Does "KP" mean anything?

When I was young, and going into the US Army as a MI Linguist, I had "KP" on my orders....stood for Korean Peninsula.
    I don't think that's the meaning in this case though. Nor the other Army terminology for KP; "Kitchen Patrol" ;)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

ANACS started with KA00001, Greattoning owns the coin. I sold it to him in a moment of great error. He still owes me one.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're missing TS
    I have a 1931-D Lincoln that I have contemplated selling that is in the small holder with TS####
    "Official ANA Grade", so it should be in the first grouping.

@BStrauss3 said:
    Continuing... had to look it up on the other computer

ANA
    CD, EX, JK, KP, LO, LP, MJ, NJ, RD, RE, TR, TX, WD, WF, WR, XA

Amos
    EX, PG, PK, RE, SC, SX, WE, ZD

So EX and RE were used by both. Likely at the time of the sale to Amos.

I've seen it reported that XA was used for show submissions.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old holders used to show up from time to time at shows in Seattle.... I recall asking about a couple on here that I did not recognize. No shows now, so the only odd slabs I see are on here... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Bochiman yes... I mistyped it when copying (by hand) from one machine to the other. Good catch.

@ricko - I bought some of those holders when I was at those shows. Do you mean there are fewer shows now or that you aren't attending (I used to LOVE the BECC show - lots of odd stuff from long time collectors).

-----Burton
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3.... There are no shows where I live now.... no coin shops either.... I do see some coins in antique shops - those are usually over priced by individuals that think since they are old they are valuable. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice holders! I am still learning about all aspects of coin collecting. Oh do I wished to attend the coin show.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:
    There was also an A000005 that showed up on eBay a while back, nobody quite understands how that figures into the sequences.

I was the purchaser of the "A00005" ANACS slab.

The serial number does not fall into the normal sequence of numbers. It is the first style of front label and back hologram, however.

The former librarian with the ANA who was on staff when ANACS first started slabbing coins shared that staff members were offered a chance to have one of the first coins slabbed by ANACS. This slab may have been from those coins slabbed by the staff, but that's only speculation. I never saw her slabbed coin, so I can't confirm. I also don't know how many of the staff had coins slabbed. It may have been low since most of the staff did/does not collect coins.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

Does "KP" mean anything?

If you had any experience in the Army, KP is NOT what you want. (Kitchen Patrol) 5,000 potatoes to be peeled, 325 greasy pots to be scrubbed, etc. 1st SGT was always seeing those who needed "motivation" for KP duty.

• Options
    edited November 19, 2017 8:41PM

Yeah, I get the bit about no shows. I was spoiled in the PNW and DFW areas where there are shows every month or so. Last winter, in Maine, I decided I didn't want to drive 4 hours on snowy roads to the only (small) show of the winter...boo hoo

I have noticed a huge drop off in the 'quality' of the smaller shows. Where they once were sold out, now you see dealers getting 'freebie' extra tables to make it look better attended.

My coin club (old and older than I am - and no, I did not grow up wit a pet dinosaur) gave up producing shows (which had been our major revenue source) - bad combo of wanting to stay near the name-sake city, poor attendance and the venue wanted too much $. Now we have to find another way to support the club.

-----Burton
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet !!! ;)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love them! Here are my examples:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file