Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Stolen BGS 9.5 1986-87 Fleer #57 Michael Jordan Rookie Card Serial #0009527212 - Be On The Lookout

Please pass the word: I had a BGS 9.5 1986-87 Fleer #57 Michael Jordan Rookie Card w/ Beckett slab Serial #0009527212 (see the pics below) stolen from me by the following person in Canada (see the point of contact info below).

I am presently attempting to recover the item and have legal authorities involved. However, it would help me if anyone spots the card online via Facebook, various sports card forums, ebay, craigslist, etc. to direct the police towards a lead on the location of the item. Or if they are contacted by the person below looking to broker a deal. I won't go into the long background story here, but this was a trade that went bad and I did not vet the thief properly up front...now I am paying the price. 100% my fault for making a poor decision to deal with this low life scum bag, but I will not give up until the situation is resolve (criminally and in the civil realm). I have posted a similar msg on other sports cards collecting sites. The last physical known location of the card was at the address below.

Thief's POC Info:

ANTHON (aka STEPHANE) BLANCHETTE
147 RUE TURCOTTE OUEST
THÉTFORD MINES QUÉBEC
G6G 1G2
Phone: 418-814-9137
Email: momocard@hotmail.ca
Ebay Name: gohabsgo1950 (old account, he likely uses another account)

HGL

Stolen Card Pics:

Comments

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2017 3:35AM

Sorry this happened man.

I have seen that ebay name before. What were they trying to sell you, and mainly did he approach you or vice versa for the trade?
    Did he send anything and short you a card or commit absolute fraud with an empty box?

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2017 6:58AM

@secretstash said:
    Sorry this happened man.

I have seen that ebay name before. What were they trying to sell you, and mainly did he approach you or vice versa for the trade?
    Did he send anything and short you a card or commit absolute fraud with an empty box?

All of the above, yes.

He approached me with a this card. Offering a 1 for 1 trade.

I did some basic checking on him, but not enough. There were red flags, but when I saw the "proof of life" picture, I figured we are good.We sent on the same day. Then he sent this fake GMA card (not the PSA card we agreed about) in the box via UPS.

So yes, 100% fraud. He went silent as soon as I complained about the fraud. I obtained the services of a legal attorney in the area and informed the authorities. However, it would help me if someone discovers this card on the market to expedite its return. I have a mountain of evidence and support, so I am not worried about that.

Additionally, due to the help of this great community forum, I have the great help of a honorable Quebec native citizen.

But overall this sucks.

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2017 6:59AM

sucks to hear that would have been the trade of the year ...... will do!

• Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

Wow that sucks!! Right off you can see that the Gretzky slabs are different from the scan and photos. Above the card and under the label the case design seals are not the same.
    That is one killer Jordan to lose, probably cracked and on its way to PSA already.
    I will stay peeled for it though.
    I really hope you nail this scumbag, I can't imagine the frustration and aggravation you must be going through ISTHTY

• Options

Did you contact Joe (PSA) or SGC to be on the watch , if for some reason the scum sends in the slab??
    I highly doubt they be stupid to,
    but check auction houses as well. No stone unturned!!!

Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • Options

@thesouthdoesitagain said:
    Did you contact Joe (PSA) or SGC to be on the watch , if for some reason the scum sends in the slab??
    I highly doubt they be stupid to,
    but check auction houses as well. No stone unturned!!!

Agreed, Already done. Sent emails, but will call Monday am when they open too.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    edited November 18, 2017 10:34AM

Damn, so sorry to hear about this POS ripping you off. Yet again, maybe a lesson for all of us to re-learn ... if it seems to good to be true ... it probably is.

Best of luck with getting back your Jordan. Please let us know how it turns out.

**EDITED TO ADD: Here's the last verified sale on the Gretzky shown above, if it helps at all:

8/27/17 eBay ...Auction ..... pwcc_auctions ..... 3***t ..... $27,009.00 **

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

These OPC cards... i actually think my psa 8 looks sharper then the psa 9!!! unreal how subjective grading it on any given day or card. PS - sorry this happened to you... I feel gutted and I dont even know you or own the card. We have all been messed over and the pain is hard to swallow :(

• Options
    mortizmortiz Posts: 62 ✭✭
    edited November 18, 2017 12:11PM

I’ll pray that this works out for you but the first red flag for me here would be someone willing to “trade” me a $25K card for a $7K one.

I would never give up, but would also immediately resign myself to this being a costly learning lesson.

Keep us posted. I’ll keep my eyes wide open for your card.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mortiz With those sub grades much higher than 7k.

@HighGradeLegends Sorry dude. Hopefully this works out for you and crush this loser legally if you can.

• Options

If you guys sent them in the mail then don’t you have his address?

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Luke1989 said:

Might be worth the airfare to show up to this losers front door and with the local police.

• Options
    edited November 18, 2017 1:24PM

@Dpeck100 said:

@Luke1989 said:

Might be worth the airfare to show up to this losers front door and with the local police.

Already working with the Provincial police and I have a Quebec local attorney. I am seeing this through to the end...both the civil and criminal sides

• Options
    edited November 18, 2017 1:31PM

@Dpeck100 said:
    @mortiz With those sub grades much higher than 7k.

@HighGradeLegends Sorry dude. Hopefully this works out for you and crush this loser legally if you can.

According to VCP one with the same exact sub grades went for $9K on 7/24/17. So I’ll revise my valuation from $7K to $9K. Still, no where near what the Gretzky is worth. Again, I feel horrible for the OP but this unbalanced trade would have made me extra worried that something was fishy.

• Options
    1957Braves1957Braves Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

Is there any person/business that offers intermediary services, like BBCE? Or something like an escrow account service that money can be placed in and stored until a trade is complete? I don’t think there’s any way to completely remove risk from any transaction, unfortunately.

• Options

Exactly that an escrow account can be opened but this would mean you would need to have the value of whatever your trading placed into said account. These can be opened pretty easily and protect both parties for little to no cost.

• Options

I’m sure BBCE would be happy to help with big transactions. Of course it would be nice to offer them something for their troubles.

I can’t believe that people do “trades” with complete strangers, without any safety net, on high value items. You can just use PayPal and send each other invoices for what you agree is the value of the items you’re exchanging. Yes there is a fee involved but I think it’s worth it for the peace of mind.

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

@Luke1989 said:

It looks like it's probably a rental. It's a house with two levels.

• Options
    TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2017 1:13PM

He approaches you.....Then let HIM send the card first and you send if you are fully satisfied with his card after receiving it. You are the one with the great reputation, not him. That is why he approached you. I hope you get your card back.

• Options

Any update?

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to make any connections to HGL situation, but this reminds me when I got scammed out of a 1986 Fleer Jordan PSA 9 from a Canadian buyer on the old Naxcom site. He asked me to help him out on S&H by using a lower cost non-signature method. I did help him out and he filed a claim even though tracking showed that it had arrived. Naxcom told me I was SOL. That was the last time I sold anything into Canada and I was happy when Naxcom folded.

I know it may seem unreasonable to stop selling into an entire country for one bad deal but at the time I needed the money for a job move and it really stuck with me. In fact I stopped buying hockey cards since you can't get top dollar on singles without selling to Canada.

Mike
  • Options

active law enforcement involvement at this time. I will update in the future, but don't expect anything soon as I do not want to disrupt actions at this time and prefer to wait until resolution. ty

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

HGL: very sorry to hear about this. Hopefully this douche gets what's coming to him criminally and you get made whole.

Heard someone mention escrow. In the past I for trades of bigger cards I've worked it out with the other party that we would both send each other a PayPal payment for what ever the dollar amount was. Obviously values need to be close but it's worked. I'd rather pay 3% to PayPal and know that if the other guy flakes or is is scamming while I may not get the card back I will get the cash.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭✭

@mortiz said:
    I’m sure BBCE would be happy to help with big transactions. Of course it would be nice to offer them something for their troubles.

I can’t believe that people do “trades” with complete strangers, without any safety net, on high value items. You can just use PayPal and send each other invoices for what you agree is the value of the items you’re exchanging. Yes there is a fee involved but I think it’s worth it for the peace of mind.

That really sucks, and I hope you get that beautiful Jordan back. If ever involved in a trade that might possibly work out to not be a "trade" at all, I'd certainly ask BBCE to act as a trusted go-between. Worst case you could count on getting your original card back. Hope the pursuit of the scumbag bears fruit.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would think BBCE would want nothing to do with getting involved as a third party for stranger-to-stranger high dollar transactions, for insurance and common sense purposes.

Arthur

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    I would think BBCE would want nothing to do with getting involved as a third party for stranger-to-stranger high dollar transactions, for insurance and common sense purposes.

Arthur

Perhaps but it don't hurt to ask. Further, it's better than winging it off to parties unknown and hoping for the best. I also am interested in bridges that might be for sale.

• Options

@originalisbest said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

Perhaps but it don't hurt to ask. Further, it's better than winging it off to parties unknown and hoping for the best. I also am interested in bridges that might be for sale.

They’ve done it before. They also can serve as an authenticator to make sure the goods be traded are legit. But like I said they should be fairly compensated for their efforts.

We all know Steve is a great guy. Just ask him. If he says no well that’s obviously his right, but my guess is for high value transactions he’d be happy to help the community.

• Options
    1957Braves1957Braves Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

Good points on the above. At first I didn’t consider the other inputs a third party would need to take on for these type of transactions. It’s just transferring the risk and adding additional parties to possible disputes.

I was thinking that COMC could be used with an agreement by both parties to only “sell” to the other person (for a small like amount). Then what if one party “buys” the card, which automatically transfers ownership at COMC, but the other doesn’t and pulls their listing. Then we’re back to the original problem of one person getting something essentially free while the other gets nothing.

I don’t know if there is a great solution here. It sucks there are people who drain the trust out of the hobby.

Best of luck, HGL. Hope everything turns out as best it can.

• Options

Quick question: Is the card the guy sent actually counterfeit? If not, this probably falls under civil rather than criminal law.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options
    edited November 27, 2017 7:37PM

@ReggieCleveland I think the problem you’re having is that you don’t know me or what you’re talking about.

I actually know Steve Hart, have done plenty of business with him and know what kind of services he offers.

In no way am I speaking for him but I know he has acted as a broker for deals in the past, for a fee, where he also authenticated the product being exchanged. You realize he already authenticates unopened for a fee right?

As for what happens if something goes wrong in transit, there’s shipping insurance for that. This really isn’t very complicated so please stop with your attitude as it doesn’t help the OP or others learn how to deal with these trade kind of situations.

• Options
    BigMike79BigMike79 Posts: 31 ✭✭✭

His ebay name is listed as being on the Beckett message board today at 4:52pm. You should see if you can trace him doing something with the card on there. Good luck!!

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BigMike79 said:
    His ebay name is listed as being on the Beckett message board today at 4:52pm. You should see if you can trace him doing something with the card on there. Good luck!!

Now that is what this board is all about, nice work Big Mike!

HGL, Good luck to you, it looks like you have done the necessary leg work and I hope you get made whole.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

Any update on this?

• Options

Thanks for the update. That was a great read.....kinda like watching an episode of "Cops". The douche looks like a drunk. Good luck the rest of the way.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

So glad you are pressing the issue with this pond scum. I feel that I would do the same even if it didn't make financial sense. If more people went this far it would certainly be a deterrent for future thieves. I hope this turns out well for you and this idiot gets the book thrown at him

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    So glad you are pressing the issue with this pond scum. I feel that I would do the same even if it didn't make financial sense. If more people went this far it would certainly be a deterrent for future thieves. I hope this turns out well for you and this idiot gets the book thrown at him

This scammer is pretty slick from a legal standpoint. Its going to be very difficult for anyone to recover anything or get a civil judgment. Criminal charges are a joke, they would never stick. Had he not sent him any card, it would be fraud/theft. However, since he actually sent a card, and a WG RC at that, all you have is a civil dispute. Further, nobody can "prove" they didn't get the right card. All the scammer has to say is he sent the right card and the guy complaining is actually trying to scam him. Sounds like he already did that with witnesses present. The fact that the two cards were not of equal value - and the person who was set to get the much more valuable card is the one complaining - would also tend to support the position of the scammer. He probably realizes this and how it would look to a jury(that a person who thought they were getting a steal of a deal is now complaining they got scammed). And I'm not even getting to how you would "prove" value between two different cards/grading services as that is another subjective issue that a jury will have a problem with.

I'd be curious if all the other people who got taken also thought they were getting an unheard of deal.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

The card the op received was NOT the agreed upon card. This is a simple case of fraud.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    The card the op received was NOT the agreed upon card. This is a simple case of fraud.

He can't prove that. There is really no way to prove what was sent or received.

Again, the guy knew what he was doing. You have a civil dispute you can't prove. These are collectables, virtually indistinguishable from each other. Slabs can be opened and cards swapped out, as anyone would have to admit in court(this nixes it right there). Value is highly subjective and "established" based upon a small sample of unverifiable sales in many cases. A court will likely request the OP and "the scammer" go to a mediator because a jury can't make any determination of fact here. All "the scammer" has to say is "I sent the right card, this guy is trying to scam ME!!". Nobody can prove otherwise. This is why it is sooooo stupid to trade high dollar cards over the interwebs with people you don't know(especially in foreign countries) - neither party can prove what they sent or received and you are stuck in this scenario if the other person turns out to be unscrupulous.

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good on you HGL for seeing it through! Hope you are successful in getting made whole. If not and I were you I would at least enjoy makeing this aholes life as miserable as possible for as long as possible.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I think Jimmy is right. Your best bet was probably to kick down his garage door when he left and made yourself whole right then and there.

If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

Arthur

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:

@craig44 said:

This scammer is pretty slick from a legal standpoint. Its going to be very difficult for anyone to recover anything or get a civil judgment. Criminal charges are a joke, they would never stick. Had he not sent him any card, it would be fraud/theft. However, since he actually sent a card, and a WG RC at that, all you have is a civil dispute. Further, nobody can "prove" they didn't get the right card. All the scammer has to say is he sent the right card and the guy complaining is actually trying to scam him. Sounds like he already did that with witnesses present. The fact that the two cards were not of equal value - and the person who was set to get the much more valuable card is the one complaining - would also tend to support the position of the scammer. He probably realizes this and how it would look to a jury(that a person who thought they were getting a steal of a deal is now complaining they got scammed). And I'm not even getting to how you would "prove" value between two different cards/grading services as that is another subjective issue that a jury will have a problem with.

I'd be curious if all the other people who got taken also thought they were getting an unheard of deal.

Even if the scum is successful defending his position in civil and legal proceeding at least he will have had to go through the process. It just might make him think hard before he scams someone else. IMO.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

If this "scum" does successfully defend himself, then I'd say the OP has opened himself up to a countersuit by harassing the guy at home and posting photos and disparaging the guy's reputation. Just sayin'...Any lawyers want to chime in?

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or maybe O. J. reads these threads from time to time for information on the collectibles market, and he can chime in with his thoughts?

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

On a related note, stories like this is why I started using third party auction houses to sell high dollar items $500+. The fees are worth it to avoid getting scammed by buyers.

Mike
  • Options
    seablasterseablaster Posts: 188 ✭✭✭

Dude, you're my hero.

What a boss move.

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2017 7:26PM

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:

@craig44 said:

He can't prove that. There is really no way to prove what was sent or received.

Again, the guy knew what he was doing. You have a civil dispute you can't prove. These are collectables, virtually indistinguishable from each other. Slabs can be opened and cards swapped out, as anyone would have to admit in court(this nixes it right there). Value is highly subjective and "established" based upon a small sample of unverifiable sales in many cases. A court will likely request the OP and "the scammer" go to a mediator because a jury can't make any determination of fact here. All "the scammer" has to say is "I sent the right card, this guy is trying to scam ME!!". Nobody can prove otherwise. This is why it is sooooo stupid to trade high dollar cards over the interwebs with people you don't know(especially in foreign countries) - neither party can prove what they sent or received and you are stuck in this scenario if the other person turns out to be unscrupulous.

Can't they just locate the card in question as proof? It looks like it was sold by PWCC in August to "3***t" .

• Options
    BigMike79BigMike79 Posts: 31 ✭✭✭

@seablaster said:
    Dude, you're my hero.

What a boss move.

When i first read about this last month, I googled the name and address and said how great it would be to show up at this guys front door. Finding out you did just that, totally boss. It must have been very hard to not put your hands on him. I hope you and the other victims get whats owed you....and he the karma he deserves.