Home U.S. Coin Forum

Five 1956 Type 1 half dollars I picked up yesterday.

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully for a Ty2 price...?

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paid regular prices for the 5 1956 proof sets containing the 5 Type 1 half dollars and 5 Cameo nickels. The half dollars need to have the light haze removed from same. Looking at them in hand, with a 10x loupe reveals that at least three of them are gem (at least 65 and maybe higher) as they have no hairlines or other negatives.

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acetone is you're friend.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

FBL on a few too

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kkathyl said:
    FBL on a few too

I certainly hope so since they are proofs.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The top, center obverse looks really promising... once the haze is removed they all may be winners. Cheers, RickO

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

acetone most likely won't help with haze, I would suggest a diluted e-z-est with a thorough rinse.

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice halves but none look CAM

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

None of the coins will CAM. All have reverse frost

• Nice find! Every once in a while I will find someone who posts a Type 1 proof set at the normal Type 2 price but 5 is a steal!

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

The services are very hard on Type 1 proofs due to the huge bump in premium for the designation.
    Here is a 56 Type 1 I cherried from one of my sets that I thought was a lock CAM. Here is a pic
    I took with strong angled lighting to try to show the frost at it's maximum. Note the coin does not look
    this frosty in hand but again these pics were to show what might be there. It did not CAM with our hosts.
    It did come back in a 67 slab but not with the designation. I believe the reverse might have held it back which
    is unusual because the reverse usually has a stronger frost than the obverse.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

I gave the five half dollars a bath to remove haze. All five have frosted reverses. Four of the five are very clean. No marks, hits or hairlines. They should grade at least a PF 65 and maybe even PF 66.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file