Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Intercept BOX...... question

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the outer box for Interecept holders of any use for protection?
Not individual slabs in the little boxes in the big box, but the big box by itself if the slabs are in it to save space.

Curious. I have some coins just stacked in slabs in the box in the SDB.

Is this any good?

Comments

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would you use them on gold (which is what you collect I thought)? Gold is a very stable metal and not reactive like copper, copper-nickel, and silver.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

I assume so. I have been using the track boxes for years with no problems. They look much like the outer boxes that the individual boxes are housed in.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have used the track boxes (boxes with plastic slots) with no problems to store copper and silver.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought the outer box was moisture resistant.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2017 5:14PM

@cameonut2011 said:
    Why would you use them on gold (which is what you collect I thought)? Gold is a very stable metal and not reactive like copper, copper-nickel, and silver.

Gold is not as reactive as copper or silver, but it's not completely unreactive. And U.S. classic gold is only 22k.

• Options

Who started the rumor that I only collect gold?
    Did I start that.
    I'm gonna have a talk with me. ;)

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    Is the outer box for Interecept holders of any use for protection?
    Not individual slabs in the little boxes in the big box, but the big box by itself if the slabs are in it to save space.

Curious. I have some coins just stacked in slabs in the box in the SDB.

Is this any good?

I think it's a leap of faith.

I've stored my copper and silver coins this way for 10 or 15 years and none has changed in appearance. But they live in a dry environment enhanced with desiccant. So it's hard to say where the credit lies.

I figure it can't hurt and might help so I keep it up.
    Lance.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I store coins in them... have not had any issues....however, I do use desiccants in the safe and also a dehumidifier in storage areas. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's the type with the black lining material, then yes. It's the double protection so to speak.

wizardcoinsupply.com/product/intercept-shield-double-protection-box.html

Also nice to store are the boxes designed for baseball cards.

wizardcoinsupply.com/product/intercept-shield-single-row-white-box.html

I can get 30 slabs in there. A little side to side wiggle room, but instead of using the Intercept single slab boxes (which also fit, but reduces the number of slabs held) I use the Coin Armour bags. This keeps the side to side jostling to a minimum...not that I'm shaking the boxes or anything.

(no, I'm not an employee of Wizard, Coin Armour, or Intercept--I just like them all very much)

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2017 8:30AM

The big box is lined with the Intercept material. It's supposed to be a double protection system.

Personally I like the Track Box but they only make it for ANACS slabs. They used to have it for PCGS/NGC slabs but for
    whatever reason they won't bring it back. They make a box without the tracks but the slabs just bang around in there if it's not full. They provide a "stopper" but it doesn't really work.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

Yep, the inside is lined with black.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file