Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Holders with DuPont Hologram question

panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Mercury dime for sale on ebay a few weeks back brought back an observation I had made a couple of times over the last few years involving the Gen 5.0 holders with the DuPont hologram on the back. IT first began when I went to sell my Peace Dollar set. The set was blast white with one exception and had all been stored in the same blue box and the same safes/SDBs for the same amount of time. When I pulled them out to sell them they were all blast white except for two.

When I looked at the two each had begun to tone in the space between the edge holders of the grommet. When I turned the holders over both were Gen 5.0's. Upon more examination, the toning on both coins was in the open space of the grommet closest to the hologram. The toning was on the reverse of both coins and just beginning. So I went through the rest of my collection and found one other coin in a DuPont holder and it too had begun to tone in a similar fashion.

With only three examples and a myriad of possible explanations of the cause, I kind of forgot about it. Then a few weeks back a collector had a Merc up for sale. His story was that he liked all of his coins blast white and his coin had been blast white in its original holder which he had held in his SDB for some time. He stated he pulled it our to get it reholdered and Trueviewed. He did this during the DuPont period. He stated that shortly after getting it reholdered he visited it in his SDB again and it had toned significantly. He showed both the Trueview during reholder and the coins as it was being sold. Trueview was blast white and current pic showed a coin that was toned over 30-40% of the surface. I had not heard of issues with the DuPont holders so I thought this weird and moved on.

So I bought a Merc off of Great Collections. While looking at it, I noted that it was overall white but had toned a bit on each side. Lo and behold the toning on each side was approximate tot he grommet opening closest to the hologram. So now I am wondering. Has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone have examples of coins reholdered in the Gen 5.0 holders that were stable for years and then turned? I am wondering if there was/is something in the adhesive or hologram that was off-gassing into the holders.

Comments

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Huh, I'm going to have to look now. Do you have a picture of any of your slightly-toned 5.0 holder coins?

• Options

@mvs7 said:
    Huh, I'm going to have to look now. Do you have a picture of any of your slightly-toned 5.0 holder coins?

I can take some pics of the newest dime when I get home tonight. I am not sure I still have the non Peace $ coin (might have been a quarter but I will look) sold both the Peace $'s. I looked for the coin on ebay that had toned after reholdering and it was sold to Reeded Edge and now it is gone so they must have sold it on. It may just be a fluke, but I thought several checking their 5.0's would give more data.

• Options
    CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a Mercury Dime but here is a classic toning pattern for a 5.0 on a Morgan. I believe this has been brought up before (and I paid no attention) so I will be waiting for answers too.

CC

Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps
  • Options

Here are the pics of the Merc from GC. Notice the toning on the top of Obverse favoring the left side a bit (the hologram side) and the reverse also on the hologram side.

• Options

Found the original ebay listing for the other Merc. Can't post pics from work, but the item number was 253187955910. Read the sellers description and compare the Trueview to the coin in the holder.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting... I wouldn't have thought it would tone with the hologram on the out side of the holder.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paper label inside the slab is more likely the culprit.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting.... looks as if there is a trend here..... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anything inside the slab must be inert. Otherwise the coin will change color over time. Putting anything printed on common paper inside a slab almost guarantees the coin will be subject to sulfur contamination including sulfuric acid.

• Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

@CCDollar said:
    Not a Mercury Dime but here is a classic toning pattern for a 5.0 on a Morgan. I believe this has been brought up before (and I paid no attention) so I will be waiting for answers too.

CC

I believe he's talking about PCGS slabs specifically, not NGC slabs

I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh...got it...carry on...
    CC

Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights