Home Sports Talk
Options

Will Carlos Beltran & Roy Halladay make the HOF ????

jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Two guys recently in the news. Not sure when Halladay is eligible.
I say yes. 15 years ago you might have said no. Only 203 wins. Today the voters like quality vs quantity in HOF voting.
He was workhorse. Leading in innings, shutouts, WAR,. ERA and complete games for most of his career. If he wasn't first he was often in the top 10. 8X AS. I am a very big fan of individual awards for HOF consideration. Roy won 2 CY's

Beltran was voted to 9 AS games and won ROY but other than that didn't win any major awards. He won 3 GG but for 20 years that isn't an elite fielder.
435 HR's with a decent amount of XBH
1587 RBI
.279 Batting Avg.
One year a 4th for MVP voting was as close he ever got to being best in the league.
I sum him up as a very good 5 tool player who could steal a base and do everything well. At times a post season hero for sure.
He did it respectfully for 20 years but IMHO he falls just short.

What do you guys think?

I have no problem if he does get in as I do like him and does get strong HOF consideration.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
1948-76 Topps FB Sets
FB & BB HOF Player sets
1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

Comments

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

They both get in.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Halladay close

Beltran no

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Halladay yes... in addition to the individual awards, stats, he had the "peak dominance" that tends to sway voters more recently

Beltran probably not... if he'd gotten over 500 HR with his other numbers, I'd up his chances considerably

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beltran's qualifications kind of remind me of Fred McGriff, and he did not make the HOF.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

No and no.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2017 11:08PM

Halladay, yes. He could have easily won 3-4 Cy Youngs instead of just 2 and was absolutely dominant for a nice period of time, though his career wasn't as long as some slam dunk HOF pitchers from that era (though he did amass nearly 3,000 IP).

Beltran, OTOH, is often called a compiler and is the textbook example of borderline, imo. Base stealing and playing well defensively in CF adds value to fairly impressive offensive stats. Never led the league in anything but he was very consistent for an extended period of time. I could go either way on Carlos.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know if Beltran will make the HOF, but I remember going to a game either his first or second year,
    and the Royals were way behind the Yankees, Carlos hit a routine grounder to second, I think it was Alfonso
    Soriano when he first came up with the Yankees. He fielded it, threw to first and Beltran beat it out.
    Soriano just stared at him, not believing how fast he got to first base. I was very impressed by Beltrans'
    speed and hustle, as a lot of players just loaf to first with the game out of reach.
    Beltran was amazingly fast when he was young, and throughout his career had a very high
    ratio of stolen bases to caught stealing.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beltran's postseason play throughout his career on top of borderline HOF career numbers across the board puts him in for me.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always felt if you have to ask, the answer should be no.

Like many things today, they've lowered the standards to let more in - always a very bad idea. When I hear people say who should be in and whether they're 'HoF' worthy, I like to point out that Joe DiMaggio got in on his SECOND ballot. It's not an insult - you really used to have to be THAT good.

Enough said.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@orioles93 said:
    Beltran's postseason play throughout his career on top of borderline HOF career numbers across the board puts him in for me.

His postseason credentials tend to get overstated. He had an otherworldly 2004 (8 HRs in 12 games). In his other 53 games, 8 homers, .257 average. Don't get me wrong - I give him all the credit in the world for that 2004 but it's not like he was a monster in the postseason, year in, year out.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    I have always felt if you have to ask, the answer should be no.

Like many things today, they've lowered the standards to let more in - always a very bad idea. When I hear people say who should be in and whether they're 'HoF' worthy, I like to point out that Joe DiMaggio got in on his SECOND ballot. It's not an insult - you really used to have to be THAT good.

Enough said.

Actually, it was Joe's THIRD ballot.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

I say no or at least no they shouldn't get in.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Halladay should, Beltran should not. It will bother me more if Halladay does not get in than it will if Beltran does get in.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beltran is borderline, I go back and forth on his case. Halladay probably belongs.