Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The infamous and rare 1875-s Trade Dollar with No PERIOD after FINE, Photo up now.

affordafford Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 15, 2017 11:13PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I believe it does exist and have been looking for one ever since I heard of its possible existence a couple of years ago. I finally came across two examples of the infamous 1875-s I/I no period after FINE Large S and Medium S chop marked but they unfortunately turned out to be both. Then Keoj found an example and sent it into PCGS where also it came back counterfeit, his was the same die marriage as mine, if memory serves me he has found two examples with counterfeit of course and both the same die marriage. And Jack Beymer had one too that he found years ago, also the same die marriage, but he determined later that the period could have been removed, I believe it is a counterfeit. BTW Jack Beymer discovered the 1876-cc Doubled Die Reverse as noted in Bowers Trade Dollar book besides being a noted dealer.

So it appears that no one has yet found an example. So does one exist that is the question?
Happy hunting!
Oh btw I realize that nobody else amongst the Trade Dollar collectors cares about such mundane matters, but at least a few guys think it is worthwhile.

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where did you hear about this one? There are plenty of coins where the comma appears as a period. Perhaps a filled die would explain the rarity of a no period coin and there should only be a few around if they exist at all.

• Options

this thread has excellent potential for some forum drama

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

VAMs are cool B)

• Options
    edited November 16, 2017 8:47AM

@afford said:

@Insider2 said:
    Where did you hear about this one? There are plenty of coins where the comma appears as a period. Perhaps a filled die would explain the rarity of a no period coin and there should only be a few around if they exist at all.

No periods show up on 1874-cc's if memory serves and of course the 1877-s' and 1876's but that is to be expected. There is one die marriage of the PROOF 1875 that has no period after FINE. But for the 1875-s it has only been a rumor, until now that is. Waiting at my P.O. box is hopefully the one, albeit you never know, sometimes the way dealers take photos the period isn't visible and then when you get it in hand thar she is. But the photos are dam good this time so I think we got a winner. The real interesting thing is it is an 1875-s Micro s that I am speaking about, so this could get interesting. Hopefully it isn't a counterfeit either, I don't think it is based on the look , and the diagnostics but getting it in hand should quell those fears.

I apologize! I read the post incorrectly and NO PHOTO was posted. I wrote about the comma after "Grains."

I have seen T$ w/o the period but I cannot recall their dates. Thankfully, you and others have. Thanks for the "new" info. I'll start looking.

PS If it is on the '76 and '77 Micro "S" coins, I should think it's a characteristic of that hub.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is, on page 964 of the Mega Redbook, an 1876CC without the period after 'FINE'....it is not mentioned as a variety. So not sure if you are specifically seeking the S Trade Dollars... or ANY Trade Dollars without the period. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@afford... .You may well be right.... in the picture though... under 20X magnification, it is not visible. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Alltheabove76Alltheabove76 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

@afford said:

That is some terrific photography. I wish I knew how to get a slab pic like that.

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin above does appear to be missing the period. Are 74-S without the period common. I have one?

Trade $'s
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2017 5:45PM

Ok, I also have a 75-S that you have to get at just the right angle to see the period. I hope you get what you are hoping for.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

did afford post a photo? Shocking! ;)

Congratulations

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a real coin?

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

I mean, no disrespect to our hosts, but my first thought was FAAAAKKKKEEEE

• Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    I mean, no disrespect to our hosts, but my first thought was FAAAAKKKKEEEE

My first thought was harshly cleaned.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Surfaces are amazing. Is it real and unadulterated?
    Lance.

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:
    :smiley:

I lol-ed. :)

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your post is worthless when you praise Peter L&C coins here then question the integrity of both in another freshly started thread.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:
    Your post is worthless.

Can’t even see his posts but would like to help Fine tune your message.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

You mentioned some die cracks, are they on the obv,rev, or both?

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

If your going to mention what I private messaged you don't forget the you behaving like an idiot part.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2017 5:26PM

@Broadstruck said:
    If your going to mention what I private messaged you don't forget the you behaving like an idiot part

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Thanks, I have one with the dot. I need to look for the cracks. So, what I am wondering is, if the cracks on the dot and no-dot varieties are the same, this would suggest that a few coins were struck with the no-dot die, then someone with a punctuation obsession realized that there was a dot-deficiency issue, the dot was added, and more coins were struck with dot until the die was retired.
    Now, I have always thought that die cracks took a while to develop, due to stress from usage. So if the cracks on Afford's example are very faint, perhaps they were in an early stage of development. So there might be some dotless examples out there with no die cracks at all.
    In deference to the thread title, I propose that this variety be dubbed the Menopause reverse. And if a colorfully toned example is found, that it be named Hot Flashes. (Aurora Borealis, take note)
    -.- .- --.

• Options

Good luck with the search and keep us posted, please.

• Options

You have your work cut out for you. I just looked at mine over at CollectiveCoin and can't see any easily visible cracks. Too bad it isn't something simple like a missing serif on a letter.

• Options

@afford

I have been recording the DC's on most T$ I examine for a long time. Dumb me never bothered to record the period because I was not focusing on it. I know that one Trade dollar researcher recently published that he never noticed that the 2M reverse hub he discovered in the 1990's was actually two different hubs after looking at these coins for decades! That makes me feel better. LOL.

I shall look at my files and see what I may be able to add.

• Options
    edited November 19, 2017 11:08AM

Mine (with dot) was in my desk. So I just inspected it. on the obv there is a fine die crack from star 5 the splits in two at the tip of the olive branch, with the lowest division extending about to star 4. On the rev, no die cracks. (what I thought was die polish, I now think are roller/drawing bench marks so not significant).

• Options

Took a closer look, yes on the repunched 1. No on the other die cracks, except for the one from the rim to star 4 to the leaf to the rim (I thought it divided, but just a circulation mark). and no rev die cracks. so looks like we have the same obv die but different states.

• Options

if the position of the mintmark is exactly the same, then it's the same rev. die, right? Mine early state, bold dot, no die cracks. Yours later die state, period fading away until it's completely gone. See, I was right. Menopause.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file