Home U.S. Coin Forum

Eric P. Newman has passed away.

2»

Comments

• RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2017 11:04PM

@breakdown said:
    I read the Newman biography and it is clear we all owe him a great debt for the state of numismatics. In my favorite numismatic book, Moulton's Ford and the Franklin Hoard, Mr. Newman is the clear hero, the most prominent of a few in the field that took a stand against Ford and his shenanigans. Regulated said it perfectly, a champion for those that value the truth.

Thanks for the remind. I will have to spend some time again with Moulton's book. Eric Newman certainly will live on through the contributions he made while alive.

• air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 877 ✭✭✭✭✭

My condolences to Eric’s family and friends. A true legend and philanthropist.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

sad news

Frank

BHNC #203

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never had a chance to meet him, but his name is everywhere in the numismatic world. RIP.

Hopefully we can get the post count thread up to 106 in honor of his age...

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Truly a giant in numismatics.... Condolences to family and friends. RickO

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP. His legend and research will live forever.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

edited November 16, 2017 11:37AM

Until a couple of years ago I e-mailed Eric a few times.

He answered the next day, every time.

He also signed a couple of my books:

The Fantastic 1804 Dollar, signed by Eric Newman & Ken Bressett - original printing, without the Chapter IX, discussing the 1962 ANA find of the King of Siam set. There are only about 6 copies known, this one I got from Ken Bressett.
    The story is fascinating. Ken & Eric finished the book and then went to the ANA -- where the King of Siam set was revealed. Ken & Eric literally called the printers and yelled 'stop the presses' then after the show they rewrote the chapter and published the book. 6 of the original copies were preserved and Ken had 2 of them, I have his duplicate now.
    Eric would only sign the books if I promised to have Ken also sign them, which I did

The Fantastic 1804 Dollar, signed by him & Ken Bressett

The Fantastic 1804 Dollar, signed by him & Ken Bressett, Tribute edition, 50th anniversary published by Whitman.

The Fantastic 1804 Dollar, signed by him & Ken Bressett, Tribute edition, 50th anniversary published by Whitman, leather edition, only #250 copies produced.

Frank

BHNC #203

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

my condolance to family and friends who are involved

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt said:

The Fantastic 1804 Dollar, signed by Eric Newman & Ken Bressett - original printing, without the Chapter IX, discussing the 1962 ANA find of the King of Siam set. There are only about 6 copies known, this one I got from Ken Bressett.
    The story is fascinating. Ken & Eric finished the book and then went to the ANA -- where the King of Siam set was revealed. Ken & Eric literally called the printers and yelled 'stop the presses' then after the show they rewrote the chapter and published the book. 6 of the original copies were preserved and Ken had 2 of them, I have his duplicate now.
    Eric would only sign the books if I promised to have Ken also sign them, which I did

The Fantastic 1804 Dollar, signed by him & Ken Bressett, Tribute edition, 50th anniversary published by Whitman.

The Fantastic 1804 Dollar, signed by him & Ken Bressett, Tribute edition, 50th anniversary published by Whitman, leather edition, only #250 copies produced.

How many people get to do a major numismatic work, and 50 years later get to do a Tribute Edition of it?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

Damn! Been away for a while and see this... RIP.

@CaptHenway said:

@Treashunt said:

How many people get to do a major numismatic work, and 50 years later get to do a Tribute Edition of it?

not many, only him and Ken Bressett, who also worked on the Red Book from about 1962, so he hit 60 years or so

Frank

BHNC #203

• cnncoinscnncoins Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

Timing, opportunity, and money came together with the purchase of the Col. Green Estate. What is a fabulous collection which I truly believed I would never see sold in my lifetime. Thank you Eric for sharing your amazing coins!

• TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Rest in peace, EPN. Such a gift to the world of numismatics. Thank you for all you did.

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

A true giant in numismatics, and also a nice and generous person!
    RIP, Mr. Newman!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear the news. What a legacy he's left through his foundation!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP, but I'm not really saddened. If you make it to 90 with both physical and mental health YOU WIN! He beat that by 16 years. I was always astounded by him and his contributions. I wonder if there was still a stack of letters in his in-basket, or if got them all answered before he left.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2017 8:17AM

New York Times Eric P. Newman obituary:

Eric Newman, Whose Coins Told of America’s History, Dies at 106

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/11/16/obituaries/eric-newman-dead-leading-authority-on-coins.html

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2017 3:30PM

Not only did Eric Newman accomplish more than any other numismatist in research, collecting achievements, writing, and uncovering deceit, but his influence will live on beyond our lifetimes with his Newman Numismatic Portal.

I was fortunate to exchange emails with Eric during the research of my book on Robert Scot. As a then 100 year old, he was very interested and gave me excellent advice.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver

@WillieBoyd2 said:
    New York Times Eric P. Newman obituary:

Eric Newman, Whose Coins Told of America’s History, Dies at 106

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/11/16/obituaries/eric-newman-dead-leading-authority-on-coins.html

A warm, heartfelt obituary, though it does contain one small error. It states that Newman and Burdette Johnson sold the five 1913 Liberty nickels decades later for millions of dollars. I believe that they actually sold them in the 1940's for just a few thousand dollars each.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

An official notice will appear in the Colonial Newsletter.

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2017 4:16PM

The entire above-linked text from @WillieBoyd2 was a virtually full-page print tribute on about page 5 of today's NYT, which is prime news placement, not just a major cultural figure's obituary placement.

This is likely more column inches than numismatics (Pogue sales included) has gotten in aggregate from that estimable (albeit failing) news source in the previous ten years.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell

@ColonelJessup said:
    The entire above-linked text from @WillieBoyd2 was a virtually full-page print tribute on about page 5 of today's NYT, which is prime news placement, not just a major cultural figure's obituary placement.

This is likely more column inches than numismatics (Pogue sales included) has gotten in aggregate from that estimable (albeit failing) news source in the previous ten years.

Was on P. 20 of the edition delivered out here in flyover country.

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely the end of an era, but his legacy lives on. There are many collectors, if not most of us, who will be forgotten shortly after the hammer falls on his last auctioned coin. Not Eric Newman. His contributions to this hobby are so vast that he will be remembered for as long as coins are of interest.
    RIP

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• acsbacsb Posts: 149 ✭✭✭

Though perhaps few will agree, I count him as one of Boston Tech's greatest alums. RIP Mr. Newman.

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry to hear of this.
    RIP my coin brother. :(

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a fellow St. Louisan, I am very disappointed I was never able to meet him in person, but proud to be a numismatist from the same region. I am happy that I own two of his coins.

John

• ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

Wow. Dude was 74 years old when I was BORN.

RIP.

• bkzoopapabkzoopapa Posts: 178 ✭✭✭

Great gentleman and mentor. Back in 1965 when I was getting my History Degree at SIU and became the Illinois researcher for the Wilmer SPMC project he let me come over to his office and go through his currency and make notes and photocopies and gave me much guidence.

• savitalesavitale Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Link to his biography and bibliography from the ANS in celebration of his 100th birthday. An amazing 82 sole-author publications and 17 co-authored publications. Clearly a great scholar, and based on the above comments, a great man.

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/534410?page=11

I wonder how he amassed his collection? The biography doesn't suggest a source of wealth consistent with $72,000,000 in coins. Maybe he bought with incredible foresight many decades ago.

Stuff used to be amazingly cheap by modern standards. In the early 1960's, some 1804 Dollars used to be listed in the Redbook at $10,000. I used to dream about having $10,000 someday so I could buy one. Now it is what I paid for my hot tub.

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

@savitale said:
    Link to his biography and bibliography from the ANS in celebration of his 100th birthday. An amazing 82 sole-author publications and 17 co-authored publications. Clearly a great scholar, and based on the above comments, a great man.

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/534410?page=11

I wonder how he amassed his collection? The biography doesn't suggest a source of wealth consistent with $72,000,000 in coins. Maybe he bought with incredible foresight many decades ago.

FInd a copy of his biography and you will get all of the details.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

Love that story, Bob!

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

Newman was born into a well-to-do, though not extraordinarily wealthy family. His father was a physician. Newman made first contact with the Col. E. H.R. Green estate in the 1939, which led to making acquisitions from the bank handling the estate over the next few years. His cost was minimal, as he partnered with St. Louis dealer Burdette Johnson who would sell pieces from the Green collection, and quite successfully so. The profits offset a large portion of the acquisition cost - it was a good deal for Newman, who had the connections, and Johnson, who was able to sell at retail prices. Both ended up with many Green coins w/minimal investment. Johnson flipped most of his coins, though a few survived as a group until sold at auction by Spink in the 1990s. Eric rarely sold anything, and the current series of Heritage sales of his collection began in 2013.

In 1939 Eric married Evelyn Edison, whose father and uncles formed Edison Brothers Stores in 1922. At one time the largest retailer of women's footwear in the country, with over 2000 locations, the company eventually reached the billion dollar mark in the 1990s. Eric began working for Edison early in the 1940s as an attorney, rising to executive VP and over time becoming a substantial shareholder.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2017 4:50PM

@Coinosaurus said:
    Newman was born into a well-to-do, though not extraordinarily wealthy family. His father was a physician. Newman made first contact with the Col. E. H.R. Green estate in the 1939, which led to making acquisitions from the bank handling the estate over the next few years. His cost was minimal, as he partnered with St. Louis dealer Burdette Johnson who would sell pieces from the Green collection, and quite successfully so. The profits offset a large portion of the acquisition cost - it was a good deal for Newman, who had the connections, and Johnson, who was able to sell at retail prices. Both ended up with many Green coins w/minimal investment. Johnson flipped most of his coins, though a few survived as a group until sold at auction by Spink in the 1990s. Eric rarely sold anything, and the current series of Heritage sales of his collection began in 2013.

In 1939 Eric married Evelyn Edison, whose father and uncles formed Edison Brothers Stores in 1922. At one time the largest retailer of women's footwear in the country, with over 2000 locations, the company eventually reached the billion dollar mark in the 1990s. Eric began working for Edison early in the 1940s as an attorney, rising to executive VP and over time becoming a substantial shareholder.

And that's how I meet him in 1988. I was promoted into the home office in St Louis from a store I was running for them on 5th Avenue in NYC. I was making 26K a year in NYC with two young kids and wife. St Louis was a little easier on the wallet.

I just loved being around him

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2017 7:05PM

Eric retired in 1987, but remained on the board after that.

The 5th Avenue store in midtown Manhattan was a goldmine for Edison Brothers. It was one of the few locations they purchased rather than leased. They sold it for something like $30m. Eric handled the negotiation for the original purchase. He dealt with William Zeckendorf, a big time NY real estate developer. Eric related that he had to break off negotiations during the middle of the day, because he had an appointment with someone at the New York Public Library on a matter related to numismatic research. Eric came back afterwards and finished the deal.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. I ran that store. Chandlers Fifth Avenue in 1987. I was there for the market crash. I actually showed the property to the geologists that the buyer of the building hired (Japanese) . It was only two stories at the time and they wanted to make sure they could build it multi stories which they did.

Andy Newman ran Edison Bros at the time and Peter Edison ( Eric's nephew) was my direct boss. A bunch of us used to run the stairs at the Arch DT at lunch time. Andy Newman once yelled at me for sweating on the hardwood floors in the atrium after a run . I feared being called up to the Fifth Floor for weeks.

Eric was around the office from time to time during my time their from 1988 to 1995. Peter was close to him. I left a couple years before they went chapter 11.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • savitalesavitale Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinosaurus said:

Thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file