Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone know a way to safely remove a coin from Lucite?

amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just purchased this Gemmy California Half entombed in Lucite. Talk about a way to preserve a coin! Debating weather to leave as is or free it if possible.

Comments

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

A buddy of mine toss it on the floor it cracked then he pilled it off sent it in and it graded it was a nice Morgan. But I would put it in the freezer 1st then slap it on the floor it will crack then you can pill it off be safe.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get error coins, and other items,
    embedded in lucite also -

I have a great guy who puts the
    lucite in a vice, and then drills
    into the plastic - he says that
    usually splits the plastic apart
    or in pieces, allowing the coin to
    easily be removed.

In the past, I've used a hammer,
    myself - carefully.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

set it on a chunk of dry ice for a while , or even liquid nitrogen, then quickly drop it into boiling water might work

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin in the OP is very nice - they knew how to design a coin in those days.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin!!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a problem coin because of the lucite. Sell it as is for whatever you can get and don't look back.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO, the coin is best left alone. Let the buyer remove it. I'll bet the coin is not original.

• Options

@291fifth said:
    It is a problem coin because of the lucite. Sell it as is for whatever you can get and don't look back.

Obviously, I disagree! The coin is not a "problem" coin - it is a novelty and well done at that. Once it is removed, it MAY BE a "problem" coin.

I do agree with this part of the post I quoted: Sell it as is! :wink:

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 14, 2017 10:39AM

Cool holder.... Why not just try to find the other 49 types entombed the same? ;):smiley:

It would be a neat Air Hockey puck for someone living in California :p

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would crack it first, then several baths in acetone.....be sure all lucite is removed. A final bath of pure alcohol to remove any other traces of dissolved material from the acetone. Then judge your coin. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    tennbjjtennbjj Posts: 94 ✭✭✭

That is one hammered reverse!

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the plastic is contemporary with the coin, then it is not Lucite. Thermal stress, as mentioned above, might be the best way to remove the coin.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tennbjj said:
    That is one hammered reverse!

Yeah hammered twice might damage the reverse ;):*

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

I would think if it was contemporary it would have yellowed after 90 years!

@RogerB said:
    If the plastic is contemporary with the coin, then it is not Lucite. Thermal stress, as mentioned above, might be the best way to remove the coin.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will be interesting to see how quickly it begins to tone after it's liberated. I'm predicting a dip will be subsequently called for and easily done.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be very careful, but definitely remove it from that.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send it to me

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

I talked to someone that has tried acetone on Lucite....was a no go. I suspect that it would take quite some time if it would.

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    You know lucite dissolves in acetone, right ?

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll put the next lucite encapsulated coin in acetone, just to see. It sure works fast on old credit cards and other plastics. Try a PCGS graded coin in acetone. Let me know how it works out. Could be the new way to crack out safely. Use in well ventilated areas. I really , though, like TD's simple answer. "NO".

• Options

I've removed almost a dozen coins over the years from clear plastics. Who knows if they were in Lucite or "Whatsite." Some (especially the 4" thick ones) took longer that others. It can be a mess!

If I has a band saw, it would have been much quicker to get the piece down to size before the soak. :wink:

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

place it in the freezer for a few hours and smack it with a hammer on a carpeted surface.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd leave it as is. Could it really be worth all the trouble?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've heard many people say it was impossible, but I like the dry ice idea. If there's a place nearby that could hit it with liquid nitrogen, that would be better, but dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭

As others have noted- acetone. It takes a few days. Also, the coins typicall look better in the lucite than out.

Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Lucite usually does alter the surface quality so they rarely look right when removed.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@georgiacop50 said:
    set it on a chunk of dry ice for a while , or even liquid nitrogen, then quickly drop it into boiling water might work

-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf4ajhXRXsk

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please let us know whichever way you go :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

When I bought it I was and still am more inclined to leave it as is. The only logical reasons in my mind to remove it would be if I wanted to slab it or put it in an album. I'm sure someone will like it as it is as the coin can't be protected any better and the Lucite is pristine with no scratches!

@1630Boston said:
    Please let us know whichever way you go :smile:

• Options

It almost looks like the polished it before they sealed it up!

• Options

Definitely not polished! Larry Briggs said it was one of the nicer California's he had seen!

@Wabbit2313 said:

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

I own the 6th known 1913 5c piece - thanks for the tips! :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lucite (Polymethyl methacrylate) boiling point: 392 degrees F.

Silver boiling point: 3,924 degrees F.

Problem solved! ;)

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had luck with the following CC 20C Piece

1. Acetone will not dissolve away all of that Lucite. However, step one is to soak it in Acetone overnight. This only works in a sealed (preferably glass) container.
    2. The next morning take it out of the acetone and set it out to dry. It may look like a soft jelly blob. Do not try and peel it off. The drying should not take more than a few minutes.
    3. Take it somewhere FAR away from the acetone or acetone fumes, and hit it with a heat gun on high. For me, most the Lucite literally cracked away and left absolutely NO residue. I had to gently use a fingernail in some spots to get rid of some of the remaining pieces of Lucite, but it all came off quite easily.

The coin graded an appropriate AU55.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options

I found the solution to removing coin from lucite.......you just need to decipher it :wink:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options

PS...Looking at my notes above it may depend on the year of the coin, I'm not sure. :smile:

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    I found the solution to removing coin from lucite.......you just need to decipher it :wink:

I don't see the "Then a miracle occurs" in the middle of the page like I usually do...

• Options

Let me look, it may be on the back of the page :smile:

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    Definitely not polished! Larry Briggs said it was one of the nicer California's he had seen!

@Wabbit2313 said:

If you can get him to put it in one of those SEGS holders, it will be worth less than in the Lucite!

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shorecoll said:
    I've heard many people say it was impossible, but I like the dry ice idea. If there's a place nearby that could hit it with liquid nitrogen, that would be better, but dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.

Since we're getting all scientific here, and if I was going to experiment with this quest, this is what I would try: In a well ventilated area, preferably outside, I'd take a can of Dust Off or other compressed gas used for blowing dirt off of computers. When turned upside down usually the gas comes out as a liquid that instantly freezes anything it hits. I'd give it a good dose then immediately smack it with a hammer. Of course safety comes first and I'd use gloves and eye protection.

I'd also make sure to take a video so I could post the failed results and injuries to YouTube for eveyone's enjoyment.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

Looks like I'm going to have to find some cheap coins in lucite and perform some experiments and report on my scientific findings.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought those were calculation notes
    on how to price an AG-3 Barber Half
    dollar with a CAC sticker.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slow easy pressure with a vise will crack it, especially if the edges are ground down a bit with a grinder.

Clamp the holder in a vise by the corners, not the entire edge, so all the pressure is across one side.

• Options

LOL! It has no corners as it is round! :smiley:

@mustangmanbob said:
    Slow easy pressure with a vise will crack it, especially if the edges are ground down a bit with a grinder.

Clamp the holder in a vise by the corners, not the entire edge, so all the pressure is across one side.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2017 4:02PM

@shorecoll said:

Dry ice for a few hours because the plastic looks thin. Now, inside a thick towel (e.g, terrycloth), whack with a hammer.
    No?
    Find someone with a band saw; child's play for a craftsman: the tolerances are easily calculable. :)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options

Scotch tape an M-80 to each side so that the tips of the fuses touch and can be lit simultaneously. Put your fingers in your ears and run!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file