Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you have an "1812 silver dollar" in your collection?

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 9, 2017 3:56PM in U.S. Coin Forum

If not, maybe you can write to Mr. Deese in Smithville, GA and offer to buy his. Must be very rare.

Similar letters are common among mint correspondence, as are requests for old coins, and offers to sell "rare" coins to the government.

Comments

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2017 5:18AM

Or possibly an 1812 half dollar?? The coins stood out as large compared to the smaller silver ones.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ouch. That must have hurt the person writing this letter, as much as the person receiving it.

• Options
    WmwoodWmwood Posts: 102 ✭✭

R.E. Preston, Acting Director. Now I imagine Jon Lovitz Master Thespian.

R.E. Preston: The US mint provides the best customer service anywhere.

Mr. Deese: No you don't, you are extremely rude.

R.E. Preston: Acting!

Mr. Deese: Genius!

R.E. Preston: Thank you!

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chances are the coin in rural Georgia was some form of Spanish colonial 8 reales, but logger7's conjecture is also possible.

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm checking all the dates on my Susan B. Anthonys just in case.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

There are also letters from people who want Metric sets (including $4 gold), and another person wants a bunch of early-date half dollars.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be a rare thing today to get a hand written letter from the 'Government' today :disappointed:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    It would be a rare thing today to get a hand written letter from the 'Government' today :disappointed:

The mint's lawyers today would command the workers not respond to letters except "legally correct" letters with typical boilerplate.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be interesting if the letter TO the mint could be found as well... Now, if some numismatic detective could trace the family that was in possession of the 'dollar' at that time, perhaps it is still in a family heirloom box.... Unlikely, but possible... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

The original might be found in Entry 229 "Letters Received." If anyone plans to go to College Park Md and look, I can give them the approximate range of boxes to check.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file