Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Sometimes life sucks, having to close my Coin store. Thanks to all for the good wishes Coins forever

SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 9, 2017 5:23PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Medical issues, are forcing me to close my store. can't afford to hire someone to run it. try to sell it with or without inventory(not all my inventory) but thats going nowhere.
I don't wether to ship my items to heritage or try to move them elsewhere .
Doctor suggested applying for SS disability so i can't have an "income" off like ebay or such.
Just sucks don't know what to do.
Sorry for my rant post a pretty coin to cheer me up. If you would like to
I will be in coins till my dying day, SSD will limit my selling.
But most my coins are for retirement only been put away already.

Comments

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2017 12:32PM

Sorry to hear. Wish you the best during this challenging time. Not a SS disability expert, but if it works like regular social security you might be able to have a limited additional income through eBay sales. Worth checking into further if you haven't already exhausted the possibilities.

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2017 12:35PM

Sorry to hear about your pending dilemma with health and making a living, it's not something that is easily dealt with. Foremost, take care of your health, because that is more important than running a business right now. I know those are not easy words to swallow but in time you will see things will work out to your advantage, be creative and don't make rash decisions. Above all, good luck.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2017 1:04PM

Sorry to hear...take care of yourself first. Hope things are better for you down the road. You are a good contributor around here. I wish you all the best.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sucks man. I had to sell my Seated Dimes for other reasons. So I know the feeling. Hope everything turns out real good for you.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

SO sorry to hear this @Smittys. I hope your health improves soon, and I hope you keep contributing to this Forum.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same here sorry to hear this. :(

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you bought a very toned, attractive barber quarter from me years ago. So sorry to hear of your news.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Smitty is a great guy to deal with. So sorry to hear of your situation and I'm praying that it will turn out well for you.
    God bless.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear the news.

Hoping your future has good health and happiness.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope that your health improves. Where is the store located? You may have an enterprising forum member that might want to give it a shot.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry to hear that. A couple friends who filed for disability did not get much and it usually takes over two years. Ebay or online sales may be an option but that takes a lot of work.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2017 1:08PM

coinweek's photo

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Hope that your health improves. Where is the store located? You may have an enterprising forum member that might want to give it a shot.

I dealt w/Smittys when he was in NY. Then I bought more from him when he re-located to NV.

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that, Smitty.

Brick and mortars are tough, as has been discussed here. If the walk-ins, buying and selling, can sustain it, I would think you could find a buyer. Depends on other numbers though, taxes, insurance costs, etc.

Would you consider selling some inventory on the BST, bypass the income issue?

I wish you well however it pans out. Stay healthy and keep being a regular on these boards.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad news, indeed! I wish you all the best!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish I could relate so I could commiserate.

Tragic.

Your ability to take SS Disability dries up eventually.

the SS statement from them will say how much you'll get this year if approved.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I need to get up to see you before you shutter the place.
    bob:)
    Unfortunately right now have my own health issues and not even walking well....to the doc this afternoon.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

I totally understand as I went through the same thing in the last 5 years and had to sell nearly all my coins. I didn't have a B&M store but sold most via ebay and local meetings(used to be a great venue, gone now). I wish you the best of luck with your health issues, just remember that health and your family are the most important things.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - sorry to hear this, Smittys......hope everything turns out Ok for you!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

It often takes a long time to get approved (or denied/appeal/approved) for SocSec Disability. Perhaps you could try selling as much of your inventory BEFORE final Disability approval, which I assume wouldn't count against you or any cap?

• Options
    WmwoodWmwood Posts: 102 ✭✭

I hope something happens and you get to feeling much better.

I understand cause this past year I have been feeling terrible. I've never felt terrible before more than the flu. Have my own business, it's hard to keep it up when ya just feel rotten.

• Options

@KollectorKing I am a coin dealer on Social security (SSDI). you can't do large scale (like you are doing now) but you can continue to have a small income. current max for a business owner is around $1,000 in profit. Profit being the key word. SSDI does not have to be permanent. if you recover you could start up again. My suggestion is this. Keep some stock for the best case scenario and sell what you need to.

• Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear about any coin store closing. Hope you feel better and please stick around the boards.

Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smittys.... sad to hear this.... hope it works out in your favor.... sometimes things that look absolutely bleak, turn out better than anticipated. Best of luck....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best wishes to you, Smitty. You are an honorable business person and an asset to the boards.

Regards,

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

So sorry to hear about anyone having heath issues, I hope you get well soon.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some nice currency you've got on the eBay site. I may have to stretch for that Albion, Ne. $10 note.
    Even if I left the business, I’d still be a slave to the hobby.

• Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes sometimes life does suck and hopefully soon it won't suck as much as it does now.

• Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭

Take care of your health, it is the most important thing we have.

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

I kinda know what you are going thru.
    My shop was in a small strip mall on a major road.
    CVS acquire the property and gave me little to no time to move everything out.
    With no where to go everything went into storage, weeks later I found a small office space to operate out of along with the storage units still in business.
    However it is much slower than it was and is hard to accept that! Any support I get I am very happy with!
    Anyone need any thing :)

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a friend who thought he had to close his shop.
    He hired a girl who knew NOTHING about coins and suddenly he was getting collector coins for melt.

Made more money on ignorance than he ever did knowing coins.

FWIW.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that @Smittys . Hang in there.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never owned a business or been on SSI so I am probably the last person you should take advice from, but like others have said, I would keep some kind of inventory in case you can get something going again. And, as was mentioned, it is all about the profit, so maybe you can find a way to sell a few things once in a while and only break even. >:)

If it were me, I might be inclined to have a fire sale for the low end stuff and at the same time try to market some of the better stuff before SSI becomes an issue. After that, lay low until you get the SSI limits figured out. An inventory of quality stuff might make for some nice discrete income here and there over time.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm so sorry to hear this, Smitty. The bad turn of the life cycle is not pleasant, but focus on the love you have and the good you've done. All the best.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry to hear this. I hope you find a solution that works for you.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2017 6:08PM

Here you go Smitty! Your health is more important than coins so I hope things get better soon and then you can get back to the coins.

@topstuf's post above is also interesting to consider.

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear this. Best of Luck with Everything!!!

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you should be optimistic and post here everyday [or every hour] when you need to boost your spirits. :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that you got to close up. Hope things turn around soon.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    jimineez1jimineez1 Posts: 439 ✭✭✭

Best of luck to you! You have always been a pleasure to do business with, hope you are back soon!

Almost Over 100 successful deals on this forum spanning well over 10 years now, feel free to ask for references!
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm so sorry to hear of your misfortune my coin brother. I totally understand your Delima. So, any buffalo nickels in your inventory that you think I'd be interested in please do give me a shout out.
    I wish you the very best, Joe

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭

Wish you the best. Make your health a top priority. Sending a prayer your way for strength and guidance.

• Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

photo NGC_MS67RB_Combo2.jpg

Sorry about your store and health. Hope all works out the way you want it too.

I'm on SSD. I did my own application and thankfully won. Took 13 months till I got my first check. They do back pay you so that's a nice check. Probably best to get a Lawyer but they get a nice chunk from your check. After two years on SSD you automatically are put on Medicare.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

good luck!

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear this Smitty. I appreciated the couple of deals we did in the past.

I'll also remember the time I was shocked to see you on Pawn Stars!

God Speed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file