Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Vintage Commemoratives ripe for varieties.

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't actively collect commemoratives but anyone who checks them will be able to find some interesting varieties. Unfortunately, IMO, few collectors care. The Cherrypicker's Guide shows a few (one I discovered decades ago).

FS-801 is a 1933-D Oregon Trail TDO. Today, I saw another Oregon TDO dated 1934-D that has been known since the 1970's but does not appear in the book. I suspect the reason is these coins are not any "big thing" and the number of doubled die commemoratives would fill several pages. I'm posting an image of the 1934-D here as I've always suspect this REVERSE was carried over from the 1933-D issue.

This post gives me the chance to SOUND OFF about something that has been done and cannot be changed in the vintage Commemorative series. Many coins are listed butt-backwards! The Oregon Trail half dollar is a perfect example. IMHO, the Wagon side with the date, IGWT, and what the coin commemorates is the obverse! Oh, well. :(

BTW, here is another interesting variety that was published decades ago. A tiny "dot" was placed on a former "Star" die after the star was removed from the die and used to strike 1922 Grant "no star" coins! I own the "discovery" coin. I call it the "2 Dot 2" variety. ;)

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 ... Neat variety..both of them... I was not aware of the 2dot2 variety... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun coins. Thanks.

Larry

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like both varieties a lot. I posted this dot a while back, and now have 2 examples:

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

When you find a 2 Dot 2 you'll be able to see the shadow "depression" from the star.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really neat Oregon Trail tripled die! Nice.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love both of those!

• Options

@cmerlo1 said:
    I like both varieties a lot. I posted this dot a while back, and now have 2 examples:

I started a new discussion: "Dots on Coins." Hopefully, you'll post your coin over there for others to see. ;)

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Grant 2.2 must be fairly common. I did a search on ebay and the 2nd one I looked at was a 2.2.

• Options

It is not. ;) I suggest you add it to your collection if the coin and price are "right."

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

The original publicity pictures for the Oregon Trail half show the wagon side on the left, as the obverse. Later, somebody apparently decided that it would be "cute" to put the Indian on the left, as if holding up his hand to tell the wagon "STOP!" The usage continued, and as obverses are typically displayed on the left people eventually decided that the Indian must be the obverse.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

...and the published books have the indian as the obverse or the reverse. :(

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

love the tdo on the oregon half.

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Oregon is really cool. I love the tripling.

Doug
  • Options
    Beefer518Beefer518 Posts: 33 ✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2017 5:40PM

From Coin Week:

"The obverse of the coin (which was considered the reverse by the Frasers, but not by the Mint) depicts a Conestoga wagon drawn by oxen, heading into a setting sun."

The way I read that, the Mint says the side with the date is the 'Official obverse', but the designer(s) considered that to be the reverse. My theory is that the 'public' went with the designer's opinion, as, after all, it's her coin. (I say her because it isn't clear whether it was designed solely by Laura Gardin Fraser, or was a team effort with her husband, James Earle Fraser.

So you can go with the 'PC' opinion that the Indian is the Obverse, or the 'Official' opinion of the Wagon being the obverse.

As for the die tripling, that bugs me more then which side is which. There are so many cool, yet officially unrecognized varieties in the early commemoratives, that the TPG's won't recognize them is absurd IMO. These are not minor varieties, but are, and should be recognized, as major die varieties.

Here's my 34-D Oregon's die tripling:

• Options
    ParlousJoeParlousJoe Posts: 451 ✭✭✭

Really nice coins Insider2 and love to learn new things here daily!

• Options

AFAIK, at least one of the second tier TPGS's slabs any obvious variety. Listed or not. It does not take a professional grader to know what a doubled die looks like. I read somewhere that they even slabbed a cardboard milk bottle top! LOL.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file