Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Well, I'm not seeing it, but it must be there... but HOW?

Comments

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

Messin' round at the mint in the days before cameras keeping an eye on things.

• Options

As for where it is, I think a bit of Liberty's chin around the eagle's tail is still visible?

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2017 10:57AM

I don't see it :disappointed:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

The (light) die break between the tail & the A.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,899 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2017 11:24AM

1857 1C Obv Die Clash with $20 FS-403 S-7 (29 coins attributed through PCGS, with none in Mint State...yet.)

Pick-Up Points from PCGS CoinFacts;

For the 1857 Flying Eagle cent with a Clashed $20 Double Eagle variety, the obverse of the 1857 Flying Eagle cent displays slight traces of a $20 double eagle design.

The tip of Liberty’s nose from the $20 double eagle can be seen towards the top of the M in AMERICA on the 1857 Flying eagle cent.

The upper portion of Liberty’s nose from the $20 double eagle extends to the top of the A of AMERICA and right above the F in OF on the 1857 Flying eagle cent's obverse.

Liberty’s lips from the $20 double eagle can also be noticed on the back leg of the R in AMERICA on the 1857 Flying eagle cent's obverse.

Liberty’s chin from the $20 double eagle can be seen below the C and A of AMERICA on the 1857 Flying eagle cent's obverse.

The front part of liberty’s neck from the $20 double eagle can be seen running down vertically through the eagle’s talons on the 1857 Flying eagle cent's obverse.

Liberty’s hair strands from the $20 double eagle can be seen running down vertically below the eagle’s beak on the 1857 Flying eagle cent's obverse.

http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/37376

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that a fair price for this? I think it's kind of cool but don't know the value in worn grades.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt said: "The (light) die break between the tail & the A."

I think Frank means the (light) clash mark between the tail & the "A."

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@originalisbest said:
    As for where it is, I think a bit of Liberty's chin around the eagle's tail is still visible?

Ahhhhhhh...... YEP!
    Better buy this one QUICK !!! :|

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    @Treashunt said: "The (light) die break between the tail & the A."

I think Frank means the (light) clash mark between the tail & the "A."

YES, but it is easier to see if you visualize it as a die crack, otherwise they may not see it.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

They MUST have sent that one in with a note.

Sure can't imagine a grader...."catching" it.
    But.....????????????????

• Options
    edited November 9, 2017 12:46PM

Good point! So I'll say that 1857 Large Cent in this thread is a beauty! :)

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better go Fly home and check mine :wink:

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

@topstuf said: "They MUST have sent that one in with a note. Sure can't imagine a grader...."catching" it."

While the submitter may have indicated the variety on the forum, IMO, any grader who missed this one should be sent home for the day to study. Every so often something MIGHT slip past but the days of the TPGS missing obvious varieties (1980's) is over.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can see it when guided by the Coinfacts descriptions, however, would likely overlook it at a show or in a shop if not attributed.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

This was a prize "cherry" for the knowledgeable folks before that darn "Cherrypicker's" book was published. :(

• Options

Apparently,,,,, the "cherry" isn't being picked for $425. ;)

• Options

That's the retail price of that particular cherry, I guess.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Alternative to "silver center." :D

• Options

Cool overlay, though. Kudos.

• Options
    Beefer518Beefer518 Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

There are three well-known mule clashes for the FE series.

1857 MDC-001, -002, and -003 (also known as FS-403, -901, -402 respectively).

MDC-001 (FS-403) is the most rare. It is the obverse die of the 1857 FE cent clashed with the obverse die of the 1857 $20 Liberty Head gold coin

MDC-002 (FS-901) is the reverse die of the '57 FE cent clashed with the reverse die of the 1857 Liberty Seated 25¢

MDC-003 (FS-402) is the obverse FE die (again '57) clashed with the obverse die of the '57 Liberty Seated 50¢. This is the most readily available variety of the three. (I have 2).

The MDC-001(FS-403) goes for about $1800 in VF20, but in this grade is worth about $100.

There are different theories on how they came to be. Some say it was two night watchman playing around with dies when nobody was looking. Others think they happened purely by accident during the switching of dies from one denomination to the other. I prefer the first theory, only because it sounds like more fun.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beefer - you gotta tell me about that avatar. I am guessing there is a story behind it.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    Beefer518Beefer518 Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:
    Beefer - you gotta tell me about that avatar. I am guessing there is a story behind it.

LOL. Not really. When I was doing a Franklin set, I found this on ebay for $6, and decided I liked it enough to buy it. And quite frankly, in hand, it's very well done, and I'm glad I bought it, Was going to use it as a keychain, but it's too nice for that.

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

S-7 Clash with the $20 gold piece die.

Larry

• Options

S-9 Clash with the Seated Half.

Larry

• Options

S-8 Clash with the Seated Quarter.

Larry

• Options

The matching quarter with the clash from the cent. Thank you Todd for the images.

Larry

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2017 9:26PM

The discovery coin for this variety (in about the same condition only brighter) was sent to ANA in Washington. The submitter did not know his coin was special and Mike, the authenticator who discovered it, studied the coin on and off for two days before he figured out what it was. In the 1970's these things were unknown. After this turned up, others (unknown to me) discovered the FE clashes. I suspect they were looking for the clashed reverse on a cent.

@ldhair said: "The matching quarter with the clash from the cent. Thank you Todd for the images."

• Options

There has been a lot of study done on these coins. We will never know for sure, how they came about. Pilliod, Snow, Bowers and others have printed some great information. Fun stuff for those with an interest in clashed die coins.

Larry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file