Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A member of coin opp fb forum I'm in found 1983 D copper! Penny

A member of the Corn up Facebook group that I'm in stumbled across a 1983 D Lincoln cent that's copper he's just waiting to get it verified pretty freaking awesome I'd say.

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it is real that is incredible. Now THAT is an error people should be searching for, since they are out there and go (almost) completely unnoticed.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be quite a find. Please keep us informed and thanks for letting us know about it!

Who among us actually checks post 82 cents for weight? I know I don't.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

I guess I am out of the loop: what is a "corn up" group?

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there actually enough of a weight difference to tell them apart?

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kenriles012 said:

I assumed he meant "coin op"

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

@erwindoc said:

Definitely. Not necessarily in your hand but certainly on a scale.

• Options
    Rich49Rich49 Posts: 189 ✭✭✭

Abt 2.5 -2.6 grams for plated 3.0- 3.1 grams copper

photo index.gif

• Options
    dagingerbeastttdagingerbeasttt Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:

He posted multiple pics of the coin on the scale and proved it was the same coin and I believe it was 3 grams or 3.1

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:

@kenriles012 said:

I assumed he meant "coin op"

I did LOL

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:
    That would be quite a find. Please keep us informed and thanks for letting us know about it!

Who among us actually checks post 82 cents for weight? I know I don't.

You are welcome and I check my 82 small date d, I check 1990d, 1983 d, and there's another one in the 80s I check

• Options

@JBK said:
    If it is real that is incredible. Now THAT is an error people should be searching for, since they are out there and go (almost) completely unnoticed.

I look for that sucker every time LOL

• Options

@JBK said:

And for his sake I hope it is real and genuine cuz that is an incredibly rare find I believe

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2017 5:45PM

Neat. Hopefully the TPG doesn't send it back with fortune cookies!

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great find.... and one that can easily slip by unnoticed. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

How did that happen? Did the mint forget to mix zinc into the recipe? Is it simply a sheet of copper went through the presses making this copper penny a virtual needle in a haystack? I suppose I could break out my scale and start weighing pennies, but what a massive job that would be. So okay, wouldn't it be amazing to be just weighing rolls of pennies and finding a whole roll of these copper goldmines? I did put aside a few rolls of '82's when they went to zinc but never checked their weights.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

i heard of some phillie's being out there but thats the first of a denver that ive heard about. fwiw

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought shares of FB. That’s about the only thing I like about it.

• Options
    BobSavBobSav Posts: 913 ✭✭✭
    Past transactions with:
    Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.
  • Options

@Onastone said:
    How did that happen? Did the mint forget to mix zinc into the recipe? Is it simply a sheet of copper went through the presses making this copper penny a virtual needle in a haystack?

The most likely scenario is that a stray blank or two got stuck in a bin or receptacle and broke loose the following year. That type of scenario likely how the 2016 nickel struck over a 2015 nickel that I found was created.

I suppose it is possible that an entire bin/bag/box/shipment of copper blanks got misplaced until 1983, in which case there should be lots more of these. I am not sure if the Mint was still punching out their own blanks in1982/3. If not, then the mistake could have happened at the supplier as well.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if there were 5000 struck, finding them in a modern coin "haystack" is a feat. God bless someone focused enough to weigh every cent they see.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

I have a very rare error and I have tried to casually estimate the chances of finding it. Same with the copper 1983 cent. With all the billions of zinc cents made, lets say a handful of copper ones slipped through. The odds of the coin existing might be a billion to one, and the odds of any one collector finding it might be millions to one on top of that. The chances of winning the Powerball lottery are far better than finding a rarity like this - too bad the payoff isn't as good.

• Options

@JBK said:

@Onastone said:
    How did that happen? Did the mint forget to mix zinc into the recipe? Is it simply a sheet of copper went through the presses making this copper penny a virtual needle in a haystack?

The most likely scenario is that a stray blank or two got stuck in a bin or receptacle and broke loose the following year. That type of scenario likely how the 2016 nickel struck over a 2015 nickel that I found was created.

I suppose it is possible that an entire bin/bag/box/shipment of copper blanks got misplaced until 1983, in which case there should be lots more of these. I am not sure if the Mint was still punching out their own blanks in1982/3. If not, then the mistake could have happened at the supplier as well.

There's a whole article on it . If you would like I could drop the link for you friend

• Options

@shorecoll said:
    Even if there were 5000 struck, finding them in a modern coin "haystack" is a feat. God bless someone focused enough to weigh every cent they see.

I was pretty shocked to see he found one. I still weight every 83,1990d ,82d small date

• Options

@johnny9434 said:
    i heard of some phillie's being out there but thats the first of a denver that ive heard about. fwiw

I have all the ones I wrote down that I need to search for I can't remember if there's any Phillies or not

• Options

@Dagingerbeasttt said:

@JBK said:

@Onastone said:

There's a whole article on it . If you would like I could drop the link for you friend

That would be great to see if you can share it.

• Options

The funny thing is, I put all 1982 cents aside in case they are copper, which I save, and in case there is the ultra rare Denver one (copper type 2 ?), but I only glance at 1983 cents. Sometimes you can tell they are zinc by the color or little bubbles, but I should put them all aside to test them.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

:o Wow!
    I'd like to read that article too, this is kind of fascinating!!

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find indeed!
    If you look at enough Lincoln cents, you will not need a scale to differentiate between zincolns and coppers.
    There is a big enough visual difference to distinguish them by sight alone.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is " pretty freaking awesome." Hopefully, that member of the corn up Facebook group that you are a member of will find another 1983D Lincoln cent that's copper. It could happen. That would be, SUPER pretty freaking awesome!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file