Home U.S. Coin Forum

Rainbow Toned...

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

The pot you find at the end of this rainbow may not be filled with gold ;):s

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dip Burned also!

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

This isn't dip residue...

More likely a AT coin that turned in the PCI holder.

The PCI label being known as an active toning agent, probably did this commem double harm.

• panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably the origin of the term 'purple haze'.

edited November 8, 2017 10:33AM

@Broadstruck said: "This isn't dip residue..."

Curious... I see no reference to "dip residue" in this thread prior to your post. What does "dip residue" have to do with this coin? Are you referring to the purple color?

I'm sure you know that "dip burn" is entirely different. The reference to "dip burn" I posted has nothing to do with the purple surface. Dip burn is not purple. :wink:

• MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭

In another thread, someone mentioned " That is the ugliest coin I ever saw".

I bet they haven't seen this one yet!

Derek

EAC 6024
  • KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2017 1:27PM

Rainbow

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

Anyone in this thread wish to tell us what "dip burn" is???

I would say it is when you have a chemical reaction and the acid or dip burns off the top layer of the coin removing the Top layer, or the original luster. when a person dips a coin, they also risk not properly rinsing off the dip and later on you will see a residue appear, even on coins in slabs.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

The OP reminds me of a song;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WapvE4pRqic

Rainbow in the Dark
    (Ronnie James) DIO

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some people sure have a weird idea of what a rainbow looks like.

bob :(

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
    edited November 8, 2017 2:26PM

Holy ....! Go to the head of the class.

I asked what is "dip burn."

@Kkathyl posted: "I would say it is when you have a chemical reaction and the acid or dip burns off the top layer of the coin removing the Top layer, or the original luster."

@Kkathy also demonstrated she knows the difference with the cause of "Dip residue:" "... when a person dips a coin, they also risk not properly rinsing off the dip and later on you will see a residue appear [very often shades of brown], even on coins in slabs."

Therefore, there is probably no "dip residue" on this coin in the common way the term is used HOWEVER, in a technical sense, Broadstruck is correct as the blue color on this coin probably resulted due to a reaction with a chemical left on the coin (an unseen "residue").

This coin was once silver colored:

The "dip burn" is the light rose-tan-gray surface. Learn this color! The only way the "burned (etched) surface can be returned to "silver" is by using abrasives. :(

class dismissed

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

edited November 8, 2017 3:06PM

I've been called a thread killer before. :( That's a real shame as I'll bet I can learn a lot from you and many others. All I post is stuff I've learned and tested for myself. If it is refuted, I'll either defend it or change my opinion.

I'll be the first to say that technical classroom definitions go out the window in the real world. For instance, I'll bet less than 20% of the members of CU (outside of a class or grading room) have ever heard the words "dip burn!" Furthermore "residue" has a specific usage in a class for "deposits" and "films" we can see and does not apply to "residues" that have evaporated and are invisible. I did not wish to bring that up in this discussion. :)

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a tough coin to analyze as I bet it's seen more chemicals than the Toxic Avenger.

Not only did it turn in the holder, but also had to deal with further interaction from the PCI paper label.

• PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2017 3:16PM

Edited.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

Love learning on these threads

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

Better example of a rainbow.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2017 5:02PM

too many years in a PCI slab, if it had started 100% white, it could be looking good now

• kazkaz Posts: 9,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

The pot at the end of the rainbow is a chamber pot.

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:
    This isn't dip residue...

More likely a AT coin that turned in the PCI holder.

The PCI label being known as an active toning agent, probably did this commem double harm.

THIS................. Save your dip residue lesson for another class Professor Insider.

@bolivarshagnasty I see you have been a member here for over ten years. Whatcha been doing all that time?

Seems to me there are a lot of folks here who are not as "informed" as you. Some of them may like what you call lessons? My learning never stops. Now, why don't you play "professor" in a thread and share some of your insight with us rather than elongating a thread and pushing the CU rules... <3

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin has not had a good life....Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file