Home U.S. Coin Forum

Where's your best/recommended source for standard red 2x2 "coin-flip" boxes?

DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭✭

I have a few red "standard" (approx. 2"x2"x9.25") coin-flip boxes, accumulated from odd sources over the years (I believe one coin show dealer gave some of them to me when I bought various 100-packs of flips from him).

I've just undertaken the huge task of going through nearly 60 Kodak slide carousels filled with all (up to 140 per carousel) of my parents' slides of family and trips over the course of 65 years, and organizing them to be shipped to a place that will digitize the memories before they are damaged or the projectors/bulbs stop working (too late! Getting one last working projector from a neighbor!).

More reasonably priced than similar slide boxes, I've found the red coin flip boxes to be perfect for organizing the slides out from the carousels in preparation for shipping. But I only have 2 free boxes, and may need as many as 10 more just for the 1st phase of my project.

I see 10 boxes listed on Amazon for around $25, with free Prime 2-day shipping.

From experience, can anyone on the Forum tell me if that's the best going rate, or if they know of better sources and prices for larger quantities?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2017 4:51PM

Check Wizard Coin they seems to have everthing.

wizardcoinsupply.com - Wizard Coin Supply - Magically Low Prices‎
    Adwww.wizardcoinsupply.com/‎

• DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the suggestion. It seems after shipping, it would be a wash on orders of 10 boxes between the Amazon source and Wizard Coin. After that, WC would be cheaper for higher quantities (in multiples of 10, at least).

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck - after going through my Dad's slides, there are a small % actually worth digitizing.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can go to a coin shops and ask for some used ones and some times they will give them to you or sell them for $1 or $2 bucks.

Hoard the keys.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep... as Type2 said, coin shops can be a source. I did get some old boxes (not red ones) from a coin shop in Renton, WA, when I lived there..... I had made a purchase, saw them behind the counter and asked about them... She gave them to me. Cheers, RickO

Thanks re: coin shop options... I'll give it a try (although coin shops around me are very few & far between these days).

I am going to have to make a 2nd run-thru of all slides kept so far, since it could get very cost-prohibitive very quickly if I don't cull-out some of the unnecessary ones. Best to evaluate them once I get the loaner projector, since looking at them 40 at a time on a small viewer to make such a decision is both time-consuming & doesn't show them well enough to make such decisions....... good thing I'm retired! :o

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are anywhere near Melbourne FL I have some of the double wide red boxes you can have for free.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

My brother will drive 25 extra miles to save $.10 per gallon on gas. His truck gets 20 mpg. And uses up a gallon to save a dollar. He forgets about time. Yet, he’s good at math, but apparently not that good with science or economics. Go figure.

Thanks for the offer, Walkerguy21D! But I'm up near Philly........

By the way, I just counted the slides remaining from just my first pass thru just the 17 "family-only" carousels, and the figure's a whopping 1521!! (That means at least 10 more 2x2 boxes). I can't even imagine how many slides are still out there from the 40+ carousels from my parents' various worldwide trips! (I had only planned on saving ones with them pictured in the slides at various destinations, and trashing all the remaining pics of scenery, monuments, etc...... but imagine that will also be a huge number.......... :o ).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file