Home U.S. Coin Forum

Unusual 1957 Quarter

Cud on the face. I’m not sure about the obverse. Maybe a piece of the die embedded?

Comments

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks PMD to me.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks plugged.

peacockcoins

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a damaged coin. Melt value only.

All glory is fleeting.
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like lead. Maybe a vintage scam to siphon off silver from coins? Sort of like clipping the edges of coins in the very old days.

• For my information, why would someone go to the time and effort to “plug” a quarter and add extra silver to the face?

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like lead to me. jmo

• WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

There appears to be a 'depression' in the anomaly area on the obverse and pushed up metal on the reverse that was either flattened or worn. To me this indicates some type of damage after this coin left the US Mint as there is no other known error as such. Me thinks this was somehow created by some crude handy work.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

plugged, PMD.

Spend it

Frank

BHNC #203

• MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt said:
    plugged, PMD.

Spend it

Considering it is still a silver quarter do not spend it.

@MorganMan94 said:

@Treashunt said:
    plugged, PMD.

Spend it

Considering it is still a silver quarter do not spend it.

oops, I missed the date.

Thanks

Frank

BHNC #203

edited November 7, 2017 11:48AM

@CB3 said:
    For my information, why would someone go to the time and effort to “plug” a quarter and add extra silver to the face?

There is no "extra silver" - the raised area surrounding the plug is the result of the hole being punched out from the other side. It was not drilled (which would have been cleaner) - it was punched somehow, hence the mess of an "exit wound" on the obverse.

It is pure speculation as to why it was done. Back when this coin would have circulated it would have taken a lot of work to profit by punching out enough silver and plugging the holes, but that was just one scenario. Might just have been someone messing around with a coin. I did my share of that as a kid with too much time on his hands.

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's definitely post-mint damage and appears to have had a nail driven through it and then the nail cut off, which left the coin and the remnant of the nail together.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

edited November 7, 2017 12:09PM

@TomB said:
    It's definitely post-mint damage and appears to have had a nail driven through it and then the nail cut off, which left the coin and the remnant of the nail together.

That's a theory I had not considered. I am not 100% sold on it, though, as I don't see signs of the the sort of grinding that would have had to occur, but it would be easy enough to see if a magnet sticks to it.

(The are heavy scratches on GW's bust, but I would expect more grinding marks on the plug and surrounding area.)

• pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

Think the graders will notice? ;)

Paul

@pmac said:

nah, likely an MS-69

Frank

BHNC #203

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strange wear pattern. Looks like the coin circulated quite a bit after the "Modification".

Maybe a repaired jewelry piece??

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, PMD as all above have noted....The 'central' metal is different than the surrounding silver...and may well support TomB's statement.... grinding off the metal saves filling work.... and the surrounding excess silver is the result of the 'nail' pushing material out during the process.
    @CB3.... Welcome aboard. Cheers, RickO

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

It may have been an example of someone "dating" the construction of a building, possibly a barn. This was common practice in the 19th century but it would have been unusual in 1957. In any case, it adds no value to the coin.

All glory is fleeting.
  • TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first thought was "nail" too. But a square nail in 1957? Seems a bit late....

Also, if we assume it was a nail, it seems to have been nailed in through the reverse first, forcing the metal to bend outward on the obverse. But regarding 921fifth's idea....that would hide the date from any viewer.

(Then again, maybe we're trying to make sense of something nonsensical. A 12 year old with a hammer, and nothing better to do, just screwing around. ;) )

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

TT - I think your last statement, in parentheses,
    is correct. (age: 10 to 20 years old)

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Rich49Rich49 Posts: 189 ✭✭✭

Right abovel the T in States on the Rev .A small crushed cylinder that has some reeding .My first impression is that someone shot it with a pellet gun.

photo index.gif

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

A plugged quarter to add to someones plugged nickel and other plugs collection.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pmac said:

Maybe not....if it's late Friday. ;)B)

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does it stick to a magnet?

Collector, occasional seller

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file