Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Die crack and lamination on this Morgan?

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 6, 2017 9:06PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Or something else?

Comments

  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2017 9:10PM

    Die crack and sawdust strike thru. Some of the wood is still in the left side of the depression.

  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2017 9:22PM

    @Insider2 said:
    Die crack and sawdust strike thru. Some of the wood is still in the left side of the depression.

    Good job, I looked right past the dark spots.

  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Die cracks are common,
    and I agree with Insider2
    that it's a struck-thru-
    and it's struck thru a piece
    of wood, probably from the
    box the planchets came from.

    This is also fairly common on the
    CC dollars sold by the Treasury
    back in the day.

    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Nice strike through.... and with retained wood...surprised it was not noted on the label... Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ricko said:
    Nice strike through.... and with retained wood...surprised it was not noted on the label... Cheers, RickO

    Yup. I was surprised as well.

  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2017 2:18PM

    @FredWeinberg said:
    Die cracks are common,
    and I agree with Insider2
    that it's a struck-thru-
    and it's struck thru a piece
    of wood, probably from the
    box the planchets came from.

    This is also fairly common on the
    CC dollars sold by the Treasury
    back in the day.

    I agree with Fred! I'm going to quote from the Van Allen, Mallis Encyclopedia of dollars.

    Cleaning and annealing: "...they [planchets] were dried and brightened in a revolving riddle with sawdust."

    These little particles of wood can often be seen as sandy colored chips into the surface of a struck coin that has not been dipped, cleaned, etc. As time goes by, this interesting artifact of the minting process will become more rare.

    Here is another with part of it removed.

  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Wow..A wood grain silver dollar.Move over Lincoln:)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file