Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Genuine Env Damage ?

A little while back I bought a 1795 1/2 cent that was graded PCGS Env damage - VF details. The coin was at my local shop, I got to see it in hand, and it had very good eye appeal. In researching the coin, seeing what other example may look like, and thinking about future purchases, I am curious as to people's view of:

A coin that is graded genuine environmental,but may have vf or xf details and good eye appeal versus a coin that straight grades in the G4-F12 range but has limited or no eye appeal. Focusing on coins in the 1793-1806 range and sub $2000. Is one more readily accepted then another. Are genuine grades in this date range more accepted then in more modern dates, as a collector(not flipping) are there views as to which would be better.

I am still very happy with my purchase, however as I do research into the next coin, wanted to become more informed.

Sorry, no pics today, as they are on my other computer.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

With some exception, for especially scarce coins (by date, variety or die marriage), collectors shun damaged coins...those in details holders. There is no guideline on their reduced value. But it is true they suffer.

There are plenty of exceptions. But on the whole, details coins are rarely given a pass for eye appeal. How do you judge the eye appeal of whizzed, cleaned, tooled, corroded or artificially toned coins?

Yes, the grading services and collectors are more forgiving of problems with early federal coins. Compromises had to be made back then. So you will see early copper, for example, with environmental damage that is acceptable today but would never be okay for coins minted years later.
    Lance.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Early copper has often been given some leniency, however, undamaged coins are always preferred - and the price will reflect that..... Personally, I love old copper, and any copper dated 17XX is OK with me... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file