Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Cheerios Dollar .... 1st year issue type coin.

NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

The cent thread reminded me of how I've always liked this issue.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's to say. We all wish we owned one even to sell and buy another coin.!

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's not to like? NGC authenticated the Discovery Specimen. In doing so they stated, "This is unquestionably one of the most intriguing new finds in the annals of modern coinage. The fact that they are just now being recognized, five years after their release, is surprising to many experts."
    I agree.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

A favorite of mine. Sold last year, and held it ten years too long. I could have sold it for $25K when PCGS first graded it. Got half that.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

CaptHenway! I didn't remember that you discovered the Cheerios variety! It's a fascinating story, and far and away the most interesting Sac that's emerged.

Belated congratulations!

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely one that I have on the radar- I check every 2000-P I come across for those unique tail feathers. Would love to add to my collection someday!

I've read that some of these have ended up in circulation- have there ever been reports of these being found in mint wrapped rolls, or, the first day of issue cover released by the mint?

Great discovery Tom!

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had 3-4 of them and still think they are pretty cool.

Hard to believe a MS68 brought over 30K at one time!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I look for these at yard sales (still in cardboard) and antique shops.... and, of course, in change. I still have a mint roll - unopened - however, it is very unlikely one would be in there. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always wondered what happened to the accented feather pieces I saw at that press conference in Chicago in October of 1999, which is how I knew that the ones issued in January of 2000 were different. There is no reason to think that the Mint people who had them there knew that they were going to be patterns. Did they end up in a jar back at Mint headquarters where they were eventually spent? Were they thrown into a ballistic bag of normal coins? We will never know.
    TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    Well, I of course am a huge fan of the coin, having been the first person to report (in the year 2000) that a different reverse existed.

I am fuzzy on the details and I know the answers are at www.smalldollars.com, but since the original source is here, why was there so much time between your report in 2000 and the recognition of the variety/discovery piece? Was it that no one knew that the press conference patterns ended up in the Cheerios boxes?

• Options

I do not believe they are "patterns" at all, as they were produced to release in to general circulation if you will. Unusual; though not a pattern.

• Options
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

I think I bought 30 Boxes of Cheerios trying to get one of those new Sackies. Didn't even find a one, of course. I ended up messing all my Lincolns looking for a wide AM variety. No luck with that either.

If I'd know about those Feathers I might have purchased an entire Pallet of Cheerios.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file