Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Heard a rumor that over 2 million $20 Saints just came into the US.

fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 6, 2017 1:12PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I Heard a rumor at the Chattanooga,Tennessee coin show (Camp Jordan) that over 2 million $20 Saints just came into the US. It had depressed the market, killing alot of the premiums for better dates.
The dealers at the show were paying 97% of melt for certified common $20 Saints uncs.
Any truth to it or just a bunch of BS talk ?

Comments

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Camp Jordan show is the Tennessee State Numismatic Society Fall show.

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

The premiums have seemed pretty low for a while.

To the 2 million number, no idea.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

If true, it's about time we started getting our gold/coins back. I hate it when nice coins leave our shores.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2017 11:40AM

Checking the PCGS pops for Saints - MCMVII excluded
    NM 175,468 (153,753 are 1908-P)
    WM 804,202
    not quite 1,000,000 so far in 30+ years
    let's say 1,000,000 for NGC

If someone wants $2.5billion in gold, there are much simpler and easier ways to get it, and the market premium for Saints is a rounding error.

Your continuing thoughts >:)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2017 11:36AM

@DoubleEagle59 said: "Could just be a lot of 'bull' ion.........who knows?"

I took back my "disagree" and gave you a "LOL," I was told the actual amount was much more than two million.

• Options

@Insider2 said:

I took back my "disagree" and gave you a "LOL," I was told the actual amount was much more than two million.

For reals?? :o

• Options

The gold dealer laughed at the two million figure...then he added that five million would not affect the market the way it is. I'm not qualified to comment on the gold market. He is :wink:

• Options
    edited November 6, 2017 11:53AM

@fivecents said:

@Insider2 said:

For reals?? :o

If it was "reales" (check the Darkside for spelling), it could be the first sign that the Central American Gold market is about to collapse. @MrEureka is trying to finance and place the deal to protect the value of his collection.

Or is that "escudos" (check the Darkside :# )

Or is that "Saints" (check the Twilight Zone :'( )

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy the rumor. Sell the news.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2017 12:04PM

I remember reading in a thread here a while back where someone apparently had some inside information about a whole mess of them coming back. There was no mention of quantity.

Found it:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/981774/if-the-premiums-on-saints-goes-much-lower/p1

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did mention this 7-8 months ago
    in another thread.

It's not a 'one shot' deal.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to buy some UNC $20 St. Gaudens graded at melt. Any sellers?

• Options
    edited November 6, 2017 3:46PM

@FredWeinberg said:
    in another thread.

Gulp. :* I missed that. :/

Wondering as to what degree and in what grades premiums for Libs decreased in sympathy to this over the same time period.

BTW NGC graded 973,587, more Saints than our hosts
    Not 08 NM but
    I don't think these coins were tossed around very much. The average grade on these could be as high or higher than Wells Fargo
    So:
    848 PCGS/NGC 342/506) Saints MS67 or better.
    81 CAC Saints CAC MS67 or better

and 08NM (PCGS) only
    MS67/8801, MS68/101, MS69/10

I don't know what case this might make for or against. It's much larger than all others combined by an order of magnitude.
    Projections based on $1300 gold. MS67 $2800, CAC MS67 $4400.

No scheisse!!! :*

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, I guess I should have warned you all before I brought the 10 bags of Saints thru customs?

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt said:
    So, I guess I should have warned you all before I brought the 10 bags of Saints thru customs?

Only 10 bags? Child's play.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stealer said:

@Treashunt said:

Only 10 bags? Child's play.

not to the fork lift.

:)

Oops, I forgot to add that they were jumbo bags.

still, 10 bags X 1,000 coins X $1200 = $12,000,000.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    edited November 6, 2017 1:14PM

@FredWeinberg said:
    in another thread.

@FredWeinberg said:
    in another thread.

Fred...did 2 million Saints come in at one shot ? That's the rumor.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

True or not the story is an invitation for "fake news" unless verifiable sources are revealed.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you see the game of high stakes chicken being played by the Saud's, that could easily cause the movement of vast quantities of gold, not sure whether it would be Saints or k'rands or whatever.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

My best observation is that lots of people around the globe have significant "liquidity" issues and gold is relatively easy to sell quickly without taking too much of a haircut.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any '33s in this group ?

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just check ebay for all the sub-$1200 Saints and $20 Libs in and out of holders, some in MS grades that have sold in the last few months. The market is very picky now. 1000-2000 $20 gold pieces won't affect the population figures much, short term depression. I wonder where they came from in a large quantity like that a bank?

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know how many coins have come back, but it's worth noting that 2 million Saints melts for about $2.5 Billion. And if you want to sell that many coins, you're probably going to need to get them stickered. Just saying.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless factual circumstances and names/dates are provided, a rumor is simply idle commend and worthless. That is, without being able to check statements for their truth, there is nothing.

(BTW - careful background and fact checking shows that the famous 1908 DE hoard included many more coins than publicly claimed. But the exact quantity has yet to be revealed.)

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

$2million worth of $20 Saints sounds more believable to me. But hey, it's not my rumor.
    Lance.

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

The dollar value is irrelevant ultimately for premium part of this story. The real reason for the premium drop is the quality of the coins and the grades they were given. I have seem some of these coins and was talking about them with a major gold dealer over the last day or so. Coins that I grade ms62/3 were in ms64 holders. 65's were 63/64's. It was just embarrassing in my opinion.

The dates affected took some big hits (10-15%) almost overnight

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a very subtle difference between hearing "2 million $20 Saints" and "2 million in $20 Saints." It would be very likely that the actual truth, assuming it contained the number 2 million and a reference to Saints, was rather easily corrupted somewhere from source to this post to the $2.5B worth of coins alleged.

• Options

@RogerB said: "Unless factual circumstances and names/dates are provided, a rumor is simply idle commend and worthless. That is, without being able to check statements for their truth, there is nothing."

I'll bet that a few "market makers" know what's going on including all the arrangements to sell the coins. Perhaps someone out of the deal started some "smoke." It is probably best not to tell everyone what is going on and who is involved. The usual suspects?

Roger gave us a case to support this: "BTW - careful background and fact checking shows that the famous 1908 DE hoard included many more coins than publicly claimed. But the exact quantity has yet to be revealed." So far, no one has revealed anything, only rumors.

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    I don't know how many coins have come back, but it's worth noting that 2 million Saints melts for about $2.5 Billion. And if you want to sell that many coins, you're probably going to need to get them stickered. Just saying.

:#

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, of course 2 Million $20's didn't
    come out in one shot.

It used to take me a full week or more
    to buy $2 million worth of $10's & $20's
    in Europe when I was going there on a
    regular basis - 1974 to the late 1990's.
    (gold spot was less, too)

I'm not a market-maker obviously, and
    I don't know all the inside skinny on the
    deal.

I heard that it's $20 million per deal -
    includes other denominations too.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sadly, participants in real "deals" rarely want to release any information to anyone. The DE book research I completed was very frustrating to work on in that respect.

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll take a 27D in 66 for melt :)

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    Just check ebay for all the sub-$1200 Saints and $20 Libs in and out of holders, some in MS grades that have sold in the last few months. The market is very picky now. 1000-2000 $20 gold pieces won't affect the population figures much, short term depression. I wonder where they came from in a large quantity like that a bank?

Very few for under $1,200. And most of those are from scammers, it looks like.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2017 2:42PM

Whats the typical mark up on generic gold on any given day?

Or should I say "fair" mark up? Just simply the difference between bid & ask?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

premiums have been shrinking on a lot of the commodity bullion for quite a while, including silver eagles and even the platinum proof eagles as well as common date 20s. I'm not aware of any supply spike, I think it is demand driven as it is not specific to any single type.

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whos the buyer?

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know anything about this deal, but anyone who's ever seen pics of the Swiss gold vaults knew there was an issue if it ever came back en mass. Fred talks about cherrypicking out $2MM at a time for years, think about what he was picking FROM.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see any changes yet reflected on the PCGS price guide: https://www.pcgs.com/prices/priceguidedetail.aspx?ms=1&pr=1&sp=1&c=67&title=st.+gaudens+$20

Where are the largest price changes being shown, Greysheet, CCE?

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even in the early 1990s when gold was low it was possible to buy up US gold in Europe at or near spot.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

What dates are represented in this European gold...mostly 20th century?

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's just say I was told I can have as many MS63 as I want for $40 over spot... :o

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Type2 said:
    Let's just say I was told I can have as many MS63 as I want for $40 over spot... :o

Back the truck up playa!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file