Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

VERY Strange Roll Find...

CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 3, 2017 3:52PM in U.S. Coin Forum

So I've been going through a couple mint boxes of 2017-P Lincoln cents. Roll searching isn't my thing but I was hoping to find some of those reverse "lightning bolt" die cracks posted here back when they came out or other cool stuff. Anyway, a few rolls into a new sealed box, from a fully mint sealed roll there was, to my bewilderment, a 1994p Lincoln. I have no reason to make this up. I doubt there is any way I can financially benefit from this (is there?) But here are the pics.

Thought I would get advice from those that know more than me on rolls or how this could happen. I'm guessing it somehow got into the hopper of coins waiting to be rolled by a mint employee. Either intentional or by accident. I can assure you that no other coins were anywhere near my desk as I was cracking the rolls and I counted the total coins 4 times simply because I couldn't believe it at first even though I knew there was no other coins, let alone a random Lincoln anywhere near where I was doing this and the total is dead on at 50.. Not 51. So there is no doubt at all that this 1994 Lincoln was in a mint sealed roll from a mint sealed box of 2017-P Lincoln's.

Has anyone heard of something like this happening before? Can I profit off of this somehow? And.. DID THE MINT PERHAPS SEED A 1994 LIKE A GOLDEN TICKET CONTEST AND I CAN COLLECT A PRIZE FOR FINDING IT??? Lol.

Anyway, wanted to share and get input. To say I was shocked when I saw it was an understatement.

The more you VAM..

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whatcha smoking??? LOL just kidding.

That's a weird one for sure and you explanation is as good as any.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

It’s too late to collect your prize since you’ve opened the roll.

• Options
    mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2017 3:28PM

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who says that that was a mint sealed roll? Looks like something that an armored car company made up for its customers.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@garrynot said:
    It’s too late to collect your prize since you’ve opened the roll.

I know. It's a catch 22 situation lol.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2017 3:42PM

@CaptHenway said:
    Who says that that was a mint sealed roll? Looks like something that an armored car company made up for its customers.

Well I'm not a roll searcher so admittedly I don't know how they are distributed but these are the boxes. And every other coin from multiple boxes so far is a 2017-P

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

Armored car companies buy 4,000 pound ballistic bags of new coins from the mint, and wrap them and sell them to customers for a small fee. However, they also get used coins from customers making deposits, and those coins get wrapped and sold as well. Some intermingling can occur.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

Exactly. It is not mint rolled. Aside from the occasional collector rolls the mint sells (and even those are rolled by an outside vendor), the mint does not roll anything. Banks, armored car companies, etc. get their coins from the mint in bulk and then roll them. I have had rolls on occasion (most recently 2017P cents, ironically) that had one or two odd years mixed in. That just means the hopper had some circulated coins in it when they dumped the new ones in to be rolled.

I don't see a name on your rolls, but the ones I see are typically NF String or Loomis.

• Options

Well I guess we'll chalk this up to a newbie roll searcher lesson then lol. It's not my thing but I figured I'd have some cheap fun with the new P coins then spread them out in circulation here in Cali. Thanks guys

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

It really stinks for someone looking to put away a few BU rolls.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed; they're either Loomis or String and Son.
    It's really just an assumption thst the rolls are solid BU same date/Mm.
    Usually a solid assumption...but different dates get in there often.
    I was searching some STring and Son 2017-D rolls a few months ago, and one roll contained a well-worn 1952-D.

• Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry, my impression was that it was a new poster, post # 2, that thought he had an amazing find.
    NO Offense to new posters, is why I carry a bit of cash for small purchases, I LOVE checking my pocket change!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting... I have not encountered that, but the explanations here are excellent.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

How did all those 2017 cents get into a roll of 1994's?? :):)

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:
    Well I guess we'll chalk this up to a newbie roll searcher lesson then lol. It's not my thing but I figured I'd have some cheap fun with the new P coins then spread them out in circulation here in Cali. Thanks guys

Those will probably be a "big hit" on the West Coast for those looking for them. Can't be that many around circulation wise.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they are Loomis :smile:
    JMHO

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file