Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

I would have to agree, given the awful-looking spot to the left of Liberty on the obverse. Double-blech.

• Options
    10000lakes10000lakes Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

Probably a typo when they recorded the winning bid amount. s/b $7200?

• Options
    cnncoinscnncoins Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

LOL...didn't see this post first. This was not a Typo. I watched it online last night and my jaw dropped.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Full head; partially missing shield. I wonder how rare this date is with both completely detailed. If I could afford a tough date FH SLQ like this one I would demand both. If such a coin exists, that is.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    Full head; partially missing shield. I wonder how rare this date is with both completely detailed. If I could afford a tough date FH SLQ like this one I would demand both. If such a coin exists, that is.

Strike wise most 1918-S quarter are a disaster so finding well struck centers, head, and shield would be nearly impossible.

As your going to have to compromise on one of the three striking details on this date.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

I think finding a full shield on many dates is as tough, or tougher, than finding a full head.

• Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

Go and compare this coin with the 1918-S SLQ in coin fact pictures. This coin has monster Full Head and all three FH in CoinFacts have visible full rivets (aka better shield) but weak Full Head. I did not recall I ever saw 18-S with ultra Full Head, full rivets and full vertical shield lines.

I have to say this coin could be one of the best 18-S SLQs. Whether $75K is reasonable, it is beyond my knowledge.

an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    I think finding a full shield on many dates is as tough, or tougher, than finding a full head.

It really depends on the date and mint mark. For a few dates, e.g, 20-D and 24-D, there are many full rivers, and complete shield circles ones. Good luck to find a 26-S or 27-S with that quality.

an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    1946Hamm1946Hamm Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a better struck 18-S. I'd rather have this one than the one above. What say you?

Have a good day, Gary
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The price paid is ridiculous IMO... However, if the buyer is happy, then the price is fine....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

BOTH coins are outstanding for an 18-S SLQ. The coin is so attractive when struck properly.......which we all know didn't happen near enough.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

@1946Hamm said:
    Here is a better struck 18-S. I'd rather have this one than the one above. What say you?

I agree.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rivets, in heraldry referred to as bosses, are stronger on the @1946hamm coin shield.
    In every other critical strike area, be it intricacy of cap and feather sharpness, brow definition, earhole depth or shield-badge stripes, gown, thighs, knee, toes, walls, date and........ the auction coin is superior.

Rather have pricewise? A psychiatrist, an opthomalogist and a numismatist walk into a bar....... :*

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will probably be sent for restoration,,,,, the spot removed and upgrade to MS65+ FH.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with CJ, and especially the obverse just having a crisper overall appearance on the OP coin. Second coin is quite nice but looks a bit washed out in addition, almost making me question whether it has been dipped and retoned a bit....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Second coin looks AU

• Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

This doesn't make sense. Last sale in this grade went for less than $6k. The sole MS67FH isn't even worth this much. Has to be some sort of error.

• Options
    1946Hamm1946Hamm Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are all scans not photos. The following 4 were scanned at different angles to hi-light different portions of the coins details. The OP is a photo and shows luster. Scans don't show luster. Mine is not a 65FH but in my opinion it has a much better strike. I would have never graded the OP as a 65. Thanks for the comments.

Have a good day, Gary
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2017 5:46AM

Either a typo or two buyers with deep pockets made the same 10x pricing misreading bid against each other.

• Options

The diagonal hairline from the ear to the top of the head is a little flat and the leaves don't look to be fully brought up on the coin above. The shield is pretty nice, tho.

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2017 12:28PM

i used to own this coin

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

For those questioning the coin I will say that I thought the coin was all there and only didnt like the spot to the left of the B.

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shows how competitive the market is, in the series.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Heritage example is far superior. So it is a question of what would be a reasonable valuaton based on condition rarity... And we know what can happen under such circumstances.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

Did the two potted plants go at it again?? :dizzy:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file