Home U.S. Coin Forum

I admit i'm a new collector and already have a question. Can anyone tell me what mint error this is?

Best Answer

Answers

• Thank you for the answer, The coin still has it's normal shape so I don't think so .Sorry for the bad picture but like I said, I am new at this.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Set the coin on the table and take a pic of the whole shebang.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Hope this a better picture Bob, the edge appears undamaged if that help.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

if the other side is the same way and the reeds are normal, it could be a tapered planchet error

error-ref.com/tapered-planchets/

• Obverse

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, but it's a damaged coin.

Not a mint error of any type.

Keep lookin'

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is PMD...post mint damage....Cheers, RickO

• Thank all of you for your input. I guess the obverse undamaged was throwing me off. I'll keep looking Fred.

• RoscoRosco Posts: 253 ✭✭✭✭

If I may politely suggest good habits....and best practices...in holding of coins.

The inexpensive jersey gloves can be slippery, but they work well for searching thru circulated
    coins and keeping who knows what off your hands.
    There are better more expensive glove choices.

Keep searching and good luck!!

• The coin looks as if there was a problem with the collar ( the "third die") when it was minted. The first commentor "squeezed in a vice or something like that" was semi acceptable, and I thought that was a fair explaination of his judgement, but the second foto eliminated blurriness in the first foto.
    I disagree,In my opinion it is a mint error.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file