Home U.S. Coin Forum

NT or AT.........1942 Mercury dime

DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

NT or AT and if you say NT, should I send it in for grading?

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

NT, has the look of being stored in an old oily ammo can.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • david3142david3142 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not sure if it’s natural. It probably is, but either way it is not worth grading.

• TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

I kind of like it, but not sure it would be worth the fees. Definitely colorful

Trade $'s
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty coin with terminal black corrosion on the rims/edge. Monster colors, like a black opal!

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a Dime I would want.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

my first thought was AT and even if it's NT it doesn't appeal to me.

• labloverlablover Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

AT

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Hello, I vote AT with the likelihood of it being a practice piece due to its lower value.

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you saturate the images to bring out the reds?

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

NT, IMO.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2017 8:21PM

NT. I've seen many like that in a slab. Mercs tone that way often.

I'd slab it. It's probably not worth a lot but it's a cool coin to have or sell to a tone fanatic.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks ok to me.
    If it were blessed as NT and slabbed, I could see it selling for a nice premium.

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks ok to me. It would not go for moon money but it would get a decent price.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can’t say if it’s NT or AT with any great certainty but I will say this....It looks MA. It is not a monster or moose but it does have some decent color that may appeal to some.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

NT, but not worth slabbing

Frank

BHNC #203

• panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a hard call, and I like this type of toning, but looking at it carefully I think it is AT. Here is why. If you look at the obverse there are a couple of very small spots (by the lips, the B in 'Liberty', the tip of the feathers in the cap) that look untoned. It reminds me of putting a soapy solution on a surface in a manner that creates soap bubbles. When the soap bubbles pop, you see that the area under the surface is completely dry. It suggests that a solution was applied to the coin, small bubbles formed and then popped, causing the small round untoned spots. Just a thought though. Sending it in would get PCGS's opinion and if it came back NT, I think you could find buyers.

• BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

I suspect the image shows the colors darker than in hand but I like the coin and would look great in a 2x2 plastic snap together holder

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

AT... and if sent in would likely get 'questionable color' designation..... Sell it raw at a show.... the tarnish collectors would love it....Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file