Home Metal Detecting

FMDAC METAL DETECTING HUNT

TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

This weekend, as I had told you all, was the FMDAC'S [Federation of Metal Detecting & Archaeological Clubs] convention & hunt.

The weather was very threatening, but Saturday's hunt went off without a hitch.

All targets that were planted were silver dimes with one token for a Morgan silver dollar and six other tokens, 5 for silver rounds and one for a metal detector.

After planting, the hunt went off at about 10 AM. There were about 50+ hunters with about 40+ dimes for each hunter.

I started in a corner, my usual position, and the hunt started. Even though it was very competitive, all hunters were instructed that they had to be careful and fill all holes.

During the hunt I found a token, and thought that I had the token for the Morgan dollar, since I didn't know about the other tokens.

Finally time was called, and I counted my dimes, to find that I hit the average, 41 dimes for the hunt.
[later I would find another dime on the ground that someone had dropped, and made that 42.]

Then I asked about the token, and was told about the prizes.
We lined up in order since the tokens were numbered, and I was #3. The first two token prizes were claimed -- both silver rounds, and then it was my turn.

I played around comparing the sealed envelopes and even offer the Hunt Master a bribe to know which was the envelope for the metal detector. Finally I picked one, handed it to him and said 'just give me my silver round', since I never win a big prize.

He insisted that I open it and I saw 'metal' -- and I realized that I had won:

Frank

BHNC #203

Comments

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2017 3:38AM

And, of course the dimes:

Frank

BHNC #203

There were two more hunts on Sunday, but it was a 5 hour trip for me and it was forecasted to start raining, with a nor'easter blowing in and the trip home would take about forever in the storm, and I had work on Monday, so I decided to skip the Sunday hunt.

Later I learned that the first hunt was fine, just misty and the second hunt [both all silver planted coins] was moved up to an earlier time to try to avoid the storm, and most of the time it was okay.

Frank

BHNC #203

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great prize and a nice load of silver.... Congratulations (I commented on the coin forum too). A long drive, but you may have won another MD... ;) Cheers, RickO

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sure turned out well, for you at least!!

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Thanks, Bob

Frank

BHNC #203

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

you have to love all the silver. its a good thing :)

@johnny9434 said:
    you have to love all the silver. its a good thing :)

yup, live that stuff

Frank

BHNC #203