Home U.S. Coin Forum

Off Topic -Any Vinyl LP Record Collectors here ?

I collect records as well. And I sleeve (holder) and grade my records almost as if they were coins. The two hobbies actually have a lot in common. I sometimes even look at the record covers with a 15x glass.

Comments

• 1946Hamm1946Hamm Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not LP's but 8 jukeboxes and 10,000 45's.

Have a good day, Gary
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few hundred 45's.

Anyone interested?

Frank

BHNC #203

• MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect them - mostly old jazz, psych, punk and obscure 60's garage rock. Going to a record sale this weekend! I even do a radio show on a community radio station featuring mostly vinyl.

Jim

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have a bunch from the 60's and 70's !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a collector of that stuff, but I'm a good listener. I enjoy cracking out my 45's and spinning them.
    My ears aren't that great, but you can't beat the sound from vinyl !

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a bunch from my teen years. Not a collector but bought what I liked at the time.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

What rating/grading system do you use and what are you rating/grading?

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • WDPWDP Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still have a couple of boxes of 45s and old Vinyl Albums from my teens and 20s. Even worse, I have a large box of 8-Track Tapes!

W. David Perkins Numismatics - http://www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com/ - 25+ Years ANA, ANS, NLG, NBS, LM JRCS, LSCC, EAC, TAMS, LM CWTS, CSNS, FUN

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not collect them, but still have a bunch of LP's and even have a player - somewhere.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

I listen to LPs every morning while doing my morning routines. Half hour exercise and shower etc. I cherish my collection, I still have my first purchases, Thriller, Led Zep 1, and VH 1984 as well as a bunch my Dad gave me around age 12, like his Beatles and Bob Dylan greatest hits vol 2. Others have come along, Dead and Almond Bros mostly classic rock and metal. Many are valuable, but to me their value is in how I feel when drop the needle and listen.

I don't grade them like coins, but my rule is....Pops don't matter, I kind if like the clicks, but I can't stand a skip that needs to be re queued.

The ritual of playing, the context of songs in a whole record, and the cover art and liner notes. Wow! It's not going anywhere in my life. Sounds great on my kenwood system. Kids seem to dig it and I know they will forever benefit by knowing these sounds in the long run.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

About 150 LPs - classical.

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's a vinyl LP record?

The more you VAM..
  • ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very much a collector. Beatles and other rock and anything else I like to listen to.

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a part of what happening at our house.

I agree there is lots of crossover interest with coins. Coins help one appreciate scarce precious things that are fragile. Lots of antiques and collectibles are this way. It’s a mindset and way of looking at life. One that appreciates vintage and feels deeply about heritage and the past. Music plays heavy on the feelings button.

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2017 8:13AM

Get into a classic rock trivia jam with @homerunhall . The ones with Martin Paul were a throwback to before either of them was born. David vamped Martin with pre-1948 R&B and Martin riposted with first cross-over of "House of the Rising Sun" as being 1930's Jewish liberal elite songstress Libby Holman, who hung out with music historian Allan Lomax of later Library of Congress fame. I koshered this up for Alex Jones' fans ;)

@HRH 's passion is shared, IIRC, by PCGS EAC maven and co-founder Gordie Wrubel, who once headed up CU's vinyl operation. B)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, but I do remember my sister BURNING her LP's and 45's back in the late 70's because of some crazy church event. I like to remind her of it occasionally. I specifically remember Moody Blue.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=rjL7Wd7lHI69jwSb_4TYDQ&q=moody+blue+record&oq=moody+blue+record&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i24k1.7883.10313.0.11257.11.10.0.0.0.0.368.1485.0j1j1j3.5.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..8.2.512...0j0i7i30k1.0.9NSdgdvBIrs#imgrc=_&spf=1509634748216

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do have some vinyl from my favorite bands and the genre I loved in high school and college and whose music I still enjoy today. But a few years back I decided to take it a step further.

Mom and dad were both artists, so I grew up in a house full of painting and sculpture. Many musicians are also visual and graphic artists (it's in their blood). Many do their own album cover art. And some actually show and sell their artworks.

So here is my growing collection of original artwork by leading alternative rock artists of the 1980s and early 1990s

From upper left to lower right: Daniel Ash (Bauhaus, Tones on Tail, Love and Rockets), John Squire (Stone Roses), David J. (Bauhaus, Love and Rockets), David J. (Bauhaus, Love and Rockets), Anja Huwe (Xmal Deutschland), Richard Butler (Psychedelic Furs)

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2017 8:36AM

I have a couple thousand LPs and got back into vinyl in 1999.

Vinyl sales in recent years are up 700% over CDs which is now considered a dead format.

Some audiophile record limited reissues sold new just 15 years ago for $30 can command $300-500 today due to demand.

There's been quite a few new record manufacturer startups in the last 5 years and they all seem to be successful.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Dad had a bunch of vinyl last time I went to his house. He must have gotten them cheap. I got all I wanted (10 total) for $50, including a few Skynrd and Pink Floyd albums. Now I need to find a player!

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a collector, but I can tell you that vinyl records (both 45s and 33s) are the hottest collectibles and best sellers at all the flea markets I frequent in the Midwest. If you bring a fresh group of records you are sure to attract a crowd.

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never collected LP's but owned many. Digital has never equaled the sound quality of decent vinyl and a higher end audio system.

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a pretty good collection
    of Mint Fillmore & other
    Psychedelic Posters

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
    edited November 2, 2017 10:25AM

Still redolent?

Did you see what Lava Lamps in unopened boxes are selling for on ebay?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2017 10:31AM

In 1972 I won a local radio station contest. The prize was all of the Beatles and Beach Boys albums produced up to that date. Those are long gone. I still have a great condition rare, limited number Lynyrd Skynyrd "Street Survivors" album cover with the fire background that was released three days before their plane crash and subsequently modified.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

C J - are you saying my Posters stink?

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Like most collectibles vinyl has many similarities in valuation to coins:
    1) Rarity counts
    2) Condition is big
    3) Most collectors want the original first issue
    4) I have not heard much about fakes, although there are bootlegs which also can sometimes be worth money

Based on size, and time and money spent, vinyl would be my number 2 collection after coins. But most of the time I was collecting just for the music and didn't care about value or rarity at all. That was probably lucky because most of the stuff I bought thru the 70's and 80's are still just $3.00 to $5.00 albums.

But in the mid 90's CD's were on the verge of taking over completely and vinyl looked to be on the way out with numbers shrinking drastically. That changed in the late 90's when they discovered that there was a real and growing demand and the numbers made have been going up since.

I have some receipts from when I bought new albums from 1993 to 1996 that cost around $12 to $18. Luckily I played these once to tape them after cleaning and then carefully stored them away. Now almost all of these have a value of $100 to $400!

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've avoided vinyl because I know I will get instantly addicted and it will cost me as much as coins do.

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2017 10:30AM

15 years ago I bought a classical and early jazz collection of records from a guy who had poured $65K into it and wanted to sell without separating or typing out a list of what he had. He was having a record dealer fly in and I stated I'll pay 10% more if I can be there when he arrives. The dealer offered $2K and we loaded up my truck right after the he left. All the RCA LSC's are 1S/1S mint pressings. I haven't sold any but keeping abreast on pricing look at this collection as my retirement honey hole. I didn't rip the guy, he was just too lazy to bother selling them off one by one on his own. Then again if I drop dead before I sell them I can see my family just piling them up on the curb for trash day.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭

I have inherited a box of 45s and 33s. Please PM me if you can recommend where I can sell them in the NJ area. Thanks.

• boyernumismaticsboyernumismatics Posts: 473 ✭✭✭✭

There's nothing like the sound of vinyl. You can't replicate the crackling anywhere else on this planet.

Throwing on the Wurlitzer Model 1080 built in 1947 with some asphalt 78's is really unique. Listening to the huge magnetic speaker in the door hum and then the machine start to do its thing...electromechanical works of magic!

More modern, I much rather listen to a new album pressed on 180 gram heavy vinyl than buy it digitally or on a CD. There's just something I like about the sound, as well as having complete control over what I'm doing...sort of like a standard transmission in a vehicle. I much prefer that over an automatic...maybe it's just me? Lol.

I've got a number of original Pink Floyd albums (an entire Collection of them, Echoes being a 'mood' album to Throw on), Zeppelin, Bad Company, Zebra, Styx, not to mention many modern albums. I've got too many to name!

boyernumis - I agree - vinyl has a distinctive 'fabric'
    sound to it that you dont' get with digital or cd's.

• RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

My kids grew up on CDs and IPads. This year I had my stereo system from the 1970's refurbished, put it in my office, and went back to listening to my hundreds of vinyl. The kids first comment upon listening, "Wow, sounds like they are in the room playing." Yes, it sounds better.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a huge and somewhat unappreciated scope of what exists and collected. There is more to records than vinyl... 78s seem to be more interesting based on the duration of use, variation in recording quality among recording companies and the artists that made certain record labels legendary.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• jedmjedm Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a collection, but have never thought of myself as a collector. My last addition was probably mid 80's. Many of them were played once or twice to record onto cassette tapes, and have never been spun since. I am getting motivated to get them out again and fire up the turntable.

edited November 4, 2017 5:54AM

FW, FWIW, it's a superb pedigree marker.

• DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭

I have a bit of vinyl still. My most treasured album is Electric Ladyland by Hendrix, the rare copy with the topless women on the cover. It was played once when I recorded it, then carefully put away. It has not been played since.

Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file