Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1965 South Africa gold 1R

Hi all. I am a total nube with world coins, but I recently found a bunch of them in a hoard that I inherited. I was wondering what all of you thought of this coin. Any idea of its value?

Tagged:

Comments

• Manfred1Manfred1 Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited November 1, 2017 2:17AM

The gold 1 Rand replaced the Gold Half Pound in 1965 ... meaning the very first gold R1 (second decimal coinage)
    The gold 2 Rand replaced the gold pound

Mintage as follows

Unc - 10,000
    Proof - 6,024

3.99g (.917) AU - Today = USD150

• Example of gold 2 Rand

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or said another way, the SA gold 1 rand was the equivalent of a British half sovereign.

0.117 troy ounce actual gold weight.

• JcldJcld Posts: 449 ✭✭✭

Thank you all for your responses, so am i right in thinking that this coin is really only worth melt value?

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2017 9:37PM

I tried to buy one from the South African mint in 1964 but the US gold regulations then prevented that.

Several years ago I bought the corresponding 2 rand coin.

Added:

South African Mint pricelist for 1964 (one rand was worth US $1.40 then):

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

The gold Rand and 2 Rand replaced the 1/2 Pound and Pound in 1961. I have an entire 1963 9 piece decimal coinage proof set and original case from the South Africa Mint. The early coins are very low mintage, the 1963 only 2508 pieces of each were minted in proof.

In gem condition they might bring 1 1/2 times melt on a good day but most usually sell at melt or slightly higher. There doesn't seem to be a lot of collector demand for the coins.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

Are these specifically made as bullion or were they used in commerce?

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Considering the low mintages I'd say they were struck for the collector and or bullion market.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say that the gold coins were simply a tangible expression of South Africa's new sovereignty and independence - certainly they had no role in daily commerce.

Nonetheless, they were struck to traditional British weights and fineness.

• JcldJcld Posts: 449 ✭✭✭

@tommy44 said:
    The gold Rand and 2 Rand replaced the 1/2 Pound and Pound in 1961. I have an entire 1963 9 piece decimal coinage proof set and original case from the South Africa Mint. The early coins are very low mintage, the 1963 only 2508 pieces of each were minted in proof.

In gem condition they might bring 1 1/2 times melt on a good day but most usually sell at melt or slightly higher. There doesn't seem to be a lot of collector demand for the coins.

Thank you for the info Tommy, I appreciate it.