Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2002-D Incomplete elliptical clip ( also could be PMD )

stashstash Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
edited October 31, 2017 3:18PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Found this one in the change today .
Make sure you click on images, for better viewing ..

Comments

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears to be a stain to me.

An incomplete clip will appear as a very narrow trench, the goes below the fields.

• Options

@GoldenEgg said:

An incomplete clip will appear as a very narrow trench, the goes below the fields.

There's actually 2 trenches .

• Options

@stash said:

@GoldenEgg said:

Even through the face .

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

It did look lie a stain but I see the depression. There should be a continuation of the mark over the rim right? I vote PMD.

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man that is weird...my first thought was stain until you posted this again, and then I thought some sort of strike through but detail of coin probably wouldn't be left underneath strike-through; so, maybe PMD? I don't know- the depressions are on both sides, and the depression on the left side of obverse seems irregular which leads me to believe PMD but I'd let the experts chime in- cool Rick!

• Options

@PocketArt said:
    Man that is weird...my first thought was stain until you posted this again, and then I thought some sort of strike through but detail of coin probably wouldn't be left underneath strike-through; so, maybe PMD? I don't know- the depressions are on both sides, and the depression on the left side of obverse seems irregular which leads me to believe PMD but I'd let the experts chime in- cool Rick!

The letters from A in States, to the letter in I in America, look bonded together .

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stash said:

@stash said:

@GoldenEgg said:

Even through the face .

I am having trouble seeing them. However, I am certain it is not an incomplete clip, which would be a very thin, and sharp depression or "trench".

@Insider2 said:
    It did look lie a stain but I see the depression. There should be a continuation of the mark over the rim right? I vote PMD.

Yes. However the strike can close the depression and make it difficult to see in the design rim.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin is stained.

Here is an incomplete clip .......

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

What EOC says.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

In 2000, the copper plated planchets arrived at the mint already manufactured. The cent is no longer punched out as a whole and sent for upsetting of the rim, the copper is already thicker near the rim, so I really don't know if a elliptical clip can exists on a zinc Lincoln. Perhaps?

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

How come the "stain" is INTO the coin's surface (looks like a drop-off along the edge). Isn't that unusual for a stain.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like a stain that has slightly etched the surface of the cent...... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WoodenJefferson said:
    In 2000, the copper plated planchets arrived at the mint already manufactured. The cent is no longer punched out as a whole and sent for upsetting of the rim, the copper is already thicker near the rim, so I really don't know if a elliptical clip can exists on a zinc Lincoln. Perhaps?

I have never seen a true elliptical clip on a zinc Lincoln, there are a few coins out there (in ANACS holders, no less) labeled as such but they are actually strike clips with zinc clearly visible along the edge. Because the planchets are plated after they are punched, any true post-82 Lincoln clip, elliptical or otherwise, will not have any zinc showing on the rim.

I think the OP's coin is stained / corroded / damaged, mostly because there is no corresponding arc on the reverse of the coin. Every genuine incomplete clip I have seen or handled (and I own quite a few) has evidence of the error on both opposing faces.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

As mentioned in the other site sir,
    the coin is damaged, and isn't an
    error of any type.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

Thanks everybody for stopping by .
    LIKEs for everybody ..

Lol ............

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2017 8:21AM

Looks like another cent might have rested atop it during the winter.

Looks like every zinc cent I find after the snow melts.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WoodenJefferson... the cent planchets are not punched out of strip at the Mint, but they have to be punched out of strip somewhere, so the possibility of an elliptical clip still exists.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file