Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

eBay "Guest Order"

TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok....I don't do the eBay thing. I don't have an eBay account any longer, and I decided long ago that there were too many pitfalls and annoyances.

That being said, (and in complete opposition to my above stated stance), I just ordered something using the "Guest Order" option after seeing it listed on the Collectors.com site. I've had a hard time finding this date, and I just couldn't say no.

So....As an eBay seller, would you be nervous about this transaction? Should I contact the seller to allay any fears, or would that just make the seller even more nervous? (It was paid for through PayPal, so that might be all the protection required).

I want to be a good eBay Guest, if nothing else. ;)

Easily distracted Type Collector

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Longtime seller and that feature is new to me.

I would have no problem as a seller as it was paid for through Paypal unless it was uber expensive.

• Options
    btwinibtwini Posts: 35 ✭✭

Honestly, the difference between a "guest" and a 0 feedback throwaway account is near nil. I think I would be concerned as a buyer though due to not having the full platform to communicate with ebay and the seller if things went downhill.

• Options

@btwini said:
    Honestly, the difference between a "guest" and a 0 feedback throwaway account is near nil. I think I would be concerned as a buyer though due to not having the full platform to communicate with ebay and the seller if things went downhill.

When I pull up the transaction from the confirmation email, I do have an option to "contact the seller". So apparently, I do have at least some of the same communication options....

@Coinstartled said:
    Longtime seller and that feature is new to me.

I would have no problem as a seller as it was paid for through Paypal unless it was uber expensive.

I don't know how "new" it is, though I haven't used it before myself. I figure that eBay has become so much more of a commercial site than a "user to user" site, that for a buyer, it's almost like buying from a dealer website.

(And, in fact, I'm thinking I might sign up with eBay again for that reason).

• Options

Well, that was painless. Just got notification that the item has shipped!

No worries....(by me OR the seller, apparently).

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's been around for 3 or 4 years. Had me worried at 1st because the same guest bought 2 different coins a few hours apart. I didn't really look at the user name(ebay assigned a random name of letters and numbers then) and noticed the same address and tried to ship them together. Couldn't do it and called ebay for clarification.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been on ebay almost since it began.... though in recent years I have not done much buying. I did not know about the 'guest' feature....seems it would warrant the same caution as a new buyer. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    I have been on ebay almost since it began.... though in recent years I have not done much buying. I did not know about the 'guest' feature....seems it would warrant the same caution as a new buyer. Cheers, RickO

Probably good advice. There seems to be the same PayPal protections, (assuming you pay with PayPal), but to be honest, I didn't dig much deeper than that.

I pondered long enough to figure out that the seller is apparently a professional, since he has his own website, and stellar feedback as well...(though his inventory links directly to eBay, which he apparently uses as his preferred sales vehicle). I felt safe.

It may not be the best long-term method of buying through eBay, though....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file