Home U.S. Coin Forum

Found a 1967 SMS with a 25¢ FS-101 DDO. Here's a pic

UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.

Comments

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find. Now I will have to check mine.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2017 9:26AM

You have the coin but I don't see any notching. Looks strike doubled. Fact that there is glare on the coin does not help. Can you post an image of just "liberty" taken with florescent light?

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does it have mechanical doubling also?
    Most of these that I've seen have strong mechanical dblg which can confuse the issue to the "non-variety" people.

• UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks just like the example in Cherrypickers.

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
    edited October 31, 2017 9:53AM

Perhaps. :(

BTW, GREAT IMAGE! Thanks.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not in my eyes, look like shelves to me.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2017 9:59AM

Does the "IGWT" match? (2nd set of pictures down on this link)

http://doubleddie.com/1967437.html

They are certainly similar, but your pictures have shadows where I would have to see the split serifs, specifically the I, R, T

Your beauty shot (1st pic) I think I can see the I in the IGWT "Drop" at the top, but you'll have to confirm in-hand.

Nice find if it's the one!

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2017 10:20AM

@UtahCoin said:

Uhhhh, No.

The coin in the CPG is DDO-002 which is accurately pictured in "The Best of Washington Quarter Doubled Dies" by John Wexler and Kevin Flynn. The CPG shows but two pictures which, at best, are misleading.

As shown in the scanned page below, a doubling offset for the DDO-002 is to the right of the Y in LIBERTY whereas on your coin, it's to the left. There is unmistakable notching on the RTY for the authentic DDO-002.

Additionally, the "I" on your coin looks like typical SMS Machine Doubling. Take a close up of the Motto.

Your feeling that your coin matches the CPG is one of the main problems that I have with the CPG in the the photographs chosen to display the doubling, are not always useful and in some cases, totally incorrect. Additionally, only 2 photo's, at most, are ever shown and in some cases, an adequate cross reference is not provided.

Fortunately, for this particular DDO, there was a great cross reference.

As for SMS Machine Doubling?

Some of it can be quite dramatic! I've got a Kennedy Laying around here some where that illustrates what I am referring to with regard to "dramatic machine doubling".

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
    edited October 31, 2017 10:09AM

@19Lyds said:

@UtahCoin said:

Uhhhh, No.

The coin in the CPG is DDO-002 which is accurately pictured in "The Best of Washington Quarter Doubled Dies" by John Wexler and Kevin Flynn. The CPG shows but two pictures which, at best, are misleading.

As shown in the scanned page below, a doubling offset for the DDO-002 is to the right of the Y in LIBERTY whereas on your coin, it's to the left.

Additionally, the "I" on your coin looks like typical SMS Machine Doubling. Take a close up of the Motto.

Your feeling that your coin matches the CPG is one of the main problems that I have with the CPG in the the photographs chosen to display the doubling, are not always useful and in some cases, totally incorrect. Additionally, only 2 photo's, at most, are ever shown and in some cases, an adequate cross reference is not provided.

Fortunately, for this particular DDO, there was a great cross reference.

As for SMS Machine Doubling?

Some of it can be quite dramatic! I've got a Kennedy Laying around here some where that illustrates what I am referring to with regard to "dramatic machine doubling".

NO MATCH! :( Keep looking and good luck! This is one I've been looking for - also with no luck. :(

Found it.

The 1967 Kennedy has some fairly dramatic machine doubling.

My loupe told me it was a winner. My StereoScope told me it was a weiner.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I have written elsewhere, at least some 1967 SMS coins were given two strikes. Yours may be one of them. Not doubled die.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

This doubled die exists in two die stages-one with machine doubling and one without. The latter of these is much more difficult to find. Your coin looks like machine doubling to me with out the hub doubling. The "I" in LIBERTY is the key feature to determine this.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the value of this DDO?

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a really nice SMS coin at the very least

Collector, occasional seller

Value at one time was $250-$500. For the last decade they've been going for under $100 in the 65-67 grade range. I won't sell my Stage A, without additional machine doubling-for that.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    Value at one time was $250-$500. For the last decade they've been going for under $100 in the 65-67 grade range. I won't sell my Stage A, without additional machine doubling-for that.

Yeah, these are a tough sell and are not very popular, mainly, I think, because most of the coins also have extreme machine doubling, which clouds the issue.
    You are correc t that examples without machine doubling are much more desirable and command better prices, even today.

I cherried my Stage A over 20 years ago in Etna, PA. I think that currently all but the "big"- i.e. mainstream doubled dies of all kinds have fallen out of favor.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really cannot see notching in your very excellent photographs... Looks like machine doubling to me.... Cheers, RickO

• garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

When CaptHenway speaks, that’s good enough for me.

@garrynot said:

Sooooo, the page from "The Best of Washington Quarter Doubled Dies" was useless? Meaningless?

Should I even bother the next time?

The name is LEE!

@19Lyds said:

@garrynot said:

Sooooo, the page from "The Best of Washington Quarter Doubled Dies" was useless? Meaningless?

Should I even bother the next time?

Of course you should always try to help answer a posters question. Unfortunately, what you posted does not match the OP's coin. Nevertheless, it is NOT meaningless. Your very informative post lets all of us know what we should be looking for on an actual doubled die specimen. o:)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file