Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Photography Resources

I am looking to start photographing coins for records/listing stuff for sale etc. Can anyone direct me to some good resources on how to properly photograph coins and what I need for a proper setup?

Comments

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a number of terrific coin photographers who frequent these boards. I'd suggest reviewing some photo's you see in threads, find a style you like and then contact the photographer to see what he does.

Similarly, there are many threads on the subject if the search feature is working here.

Finally, google might have solid advice.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    Buy "Numismatic Photography" by Mark Goodman. It's a fabulous resource (the coin photography Bible IMO) and he posts here from time to time.

It's in its 2nd edition and is available on Amazon.

This is a GREAT starting point.. I own a copy and would recommend it to someone starting out.

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark is a coin photographer extraordinaire...and his book is highly recommended. I believe I purchased one years ago when I considered doing coin photography... then life happened... and I never actually got started (even have - somewhere - a great set up for it...minus a camera)...As recommended above...the book would be a great resource. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    zas107zas107 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone! I ordered the book, a nice copy stand, and some various forms of lighting to play with.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2017 10:40AM

Sounds like you're on your way!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file